Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Has anyone replaced a clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I wonder if it would be worth it to order one of these tools:

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Front-Whe...ws_feature_div
    I was just gonna suggest That! https://www.amazon.ca/ABN-Inner-Axle.../dp/B08174JH6M
    I haven't had an axle out in a while, I usually manage to wedge a thin prybar in there and pry them out. I assume yours would be pretty similar. On other vehicles I've had some that would not budge, ended up up getting one side off then sliding a thin metal rod into the transmission around the center pin and was able to punch the other axle out from the oposite side. If that makes any sense?
    If you have a slide hammer could wrap a strap around the axle or bolt a chain around it? I'm sure you already know they usually just need a good tug. Ha. But can be a pita too. If you feel like buying new axles or boots, tear one open clamp some vise grips on there and hammer away.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I ended up pulling the air filter housing, battery box/stand, drained the transmission oil and pulled the hubs. Unfortunately my 15 inch pry bar isn't doing a good job at removing the axles from the transmission. I probably spent an hour trying to get those things out before giving up. Looks like its time to make a trip to Harbor Freight for an assortment of pry bars.

This is what I currently have:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/15-1-2...-bar-2529.html

Any suggestions on a better tool? My biggest problem is that the car isn't very high off the ground as it is sitting on jack stands. My tool might have worked had the car been higher up in the air. With the vehicle's current height, the pry bar bottoms out on the ground when I try to get some leverage.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...-set-1654.html
    Get these ones https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...-set-1654.html The other ones are either too flimsy(nail pullers) or wouldn't fit very well.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I was just gonna suggest That! https://www.amazon.ca/ABN-Inner-Axle.../dp/B08174JH6M
    I haven't had an axle out in a while, I usually manage to wedge a thin prybar in there and pry them out. I assume yours would be pretty similar. On other vehicles I've had some that would not budge, ended up up getting one side off then sliding a thin metal rod into the transmission around the center pin and was able to punch the other axle out from the oposite side. If that makes any sense?
    If you have a slide hammer could wrap a strap around the axle or bolt a chain around it? I'm sure you already know they usually just need a good tug. Ha. But can be a pita too. If you feel like buying new axles or boots, tear one open clamp some vise grips on there and hammer away.
    That looks like the perfect combination since I don’t already have a slide hammer. I just learned Monday is suppose to be some sort of BLM economy blackout thing. That being said, I’m going to wait until Monday to spend money on tools.

I’ll probably pickup dinner from a restaurant on Monday and will top off the fuel in all of my cars as well, other than the Mitsubishi of course. Oh, and my car insurance renewal is due in a few weeks so I’ll go ahead and pay that on Monday as well.

For what it’s worth, I leave all the lights on in my house for 24 hours on earth day. Life is good.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-04-2020),Top_Fuel (07-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    LMAO on the economic blackout. Guess I'll postpone my major purchases until Monday.

Since you have 300K miles on it...have you considered putting in some remanufactured axles while everything is apart? But now that I think about it, has anyone had a Mirage with a CV joint failure?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    LMAO on the economic blackout. Guess I'll postpone my major purchases until Monday.

Since you have 300K miles on it...have you considered putting in some remanufactured axles while everything is apart? But now that I think about it, has anyone had a Mirage with a CV joint failure?
    Right now the plan is to simply see how the transmission shifts after the clutch is replaced. Should it fix my problem then it’s time for new brake pads and whatever else it is I do every 100k miles

I probably won’t replace the axles unless they break.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-04-2020)