Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Code P2096 (fuel trim code on Mirage with custom header)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Engine Code P2096 (fuel trim code on Mirage with custom header)

So this code has came up for the third time now and it comes on a few miles after clearing it up. I'm trying to figure out why my 02 Sensor is reading a lean burn. Any thoughts?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Here is some data

Here is some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    Any thoughts?
    What are you using for your OBD-II adapter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb So, here is the reason why I have the code.

Why am I getting the lean fuel burn code? It's the Supercircuit headers i installed on my car. So I started to really think about this and one of the guys I work with believes I am right about this. The OEM header, which the 02 sensor is on, reads all 3 cylinders when the engine is running. The supercircuit header that the o2 sensor is attached to now, reads only 1 cylinder. I'm talking the first o2 sensor, bank 1, upper. Yeah. So, the issue is, the o2 sensor will show a lean code due too only being on just one tube, one cylinder. So what I'm thinking what will fix this, well should, is that I'm going to put a plug in that first sensor hole, and where the second 02 sensor goes, bank 2, place the first one there so it can read all three cylinders at the same time like before, and when I get my custom exhaust made and mounted, the second one with a bypass adapter will have a spot to screw in about 12 inches down the exhaust or so to where it still will read like there was a catalytic converter before but there isn't as of on the header. And that should fix the problem. I thought I would give an update on this and share my thoughts. Thank you!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    the second one with a bypass adapter will have a spot to screw in about 12 inches down the exhaust or so to where it still will read like there was a catalytic converter before but there isn't as of on the header. And that should fix the problem. I thought I would give an update on this and share my thoughts. Thank you!
    Your second O2 monitor is the cat converter monitor. If you install that in your exhaust without a converter, you will get codes for cat converter failure. (bank 1 & bank 2 refer to V type engines)
    Roger
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...It's the Supercircuit headers i installed on my car.
    Adding this image to help visualize what is being discussed...

Name:  header.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  72.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    How about adding another defouler cascaded into your existing defouler?

Name:  O2 Sensor defouler 2a.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  41.6 KB

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Why am I getting the lean fuel burn code? It's the Supercircuit headers i installed on my car. So I started to really think about this and one of the guys I work with believes I am right about this. The OEM header, which the 02 sensor is on, reads all 3 cylinders when the engine is running. The supercircuit header that the o2 sensor is attached to now, reads only 1 cylinder. I'm talking the first o2 sensor, bank 1, upper. Yeah. So, the issue is, the o2 sensor will show a lean code due too only being on just one tube, one cylinder. So what I'm thinking what will fix this, well should, is that I'm going to put a plug in that first sensor hole, and where the second 02 sensor goes, bank 2, place the first one there so it can read all three cylinders at the same time like before, and when I get my custom exhaust made and mounted, the second one with a bypass adapter will have a spot to screw in about 12 inches down the exhaust or so to where it still will read like there was a catalytic converter before but there isn't as of on the header. And that should fix the problem. I thought I would give an update on this and share my thoughts. Thank you!
    That makes it clear! The top O2 Sensor is a linear sensor, and Mitsubishi placed it so, that it reads the O2 of each cylinder in sequence out of the exhaust gas, and reports the results of each cylinder to the ECU where each cylinder gets its fuel/air ratio individually adjusted.
    In your "sports" manifold, the sensor sees only the exhaust gas of one cylinder, and adjusts accordingly, rather than reading the exhaust gas of each cylinder in sequence. The folks that made that "sports" manifold obviously did not take into account that the Mirage has a linear O2 sensor, placed to read the gasses of each cylinder, one after the other. Probably they thought the Mirage had just a simple Lambda-probe, 1999 style. The linear O2 sensor is very much more precise than any lambda probe. At the same time, the output is instant and in real-time, much different from a lambda-probe's output with its huge time-lag. This is one of the many features that makes the Mirage so economical and the exhaust gas so clean.
    If somebody in Germany or most other state of Europe had such a header, plus a bypass adapter, they would risk having the car taken away from them on the spot during yearly compulsory emmision testing. The bypass alone would make the car's exhaust dirty, fail emission testing and make other folks sick. That sort of manipulation would certainly get the owner into jail and charged for multiple crimes. That person would most probably never get a job anywhere for the rest of his life and end up in poverty.
    Last edited by foama; 06-27-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ummm...does this car have a catalytic converter or was it eliminated when the header was installed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...Would have been nice to know the guy installed an overseas manifold and cat delete in the the original post...
    When I look at this picture...I see a bung for two O2 sensors in that header. What I don't see is any provision for a converter?!?

If this car is throwing post-cat O2 errors and it looks like the setup below, it's no wonder. The placement of that upstream O2 sensor in the header also seems a little crazy.

Name:  header.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  72.9 KB