Thread: Good place to install GPS tracker

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Good place to install GPS tracker

A friend of mine opened up his own pizza shop and snagged a Mirage for deliveries etc. He picked up a GPS tracker and asked me to install it since I am somewhat car savvy. It just needs a simple power/ground connection. The GPS Device its self has a battery in it good for about 2 weeks, so it doesn't need constant power.

Any tips on where to install it that will be inconspicuous,yet pretty easy to get to, but won't raise any red flags during any warranty work. We only have 1 dealer local to us and their service department can be a-holes sometimes.

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to madlife For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How big is it?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yep, what Alex1a1f said. Pictures & measurements will help.

There may be room for the antenna under the center of the dashboard between the two vents. There is also a bit of room behind the glovebox and under the passenger seat.

Until more is known about the GPS tracker, we're kinda limited.

Do you have any online links to the tracker?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yep, what Alex1a1f said. Pictures & measurements will help.

There may be room for the antenna under the center of the dashboard between the two vents. There is also a bit of room behind the glovebox and under the passenger seat.

Until more is known about the GPS tracker, we're kinda limited.

Do you have any online links to the tracker?
    1.5x1.5x3

but there is a power converter block about the same size as well as an in-line fuse.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madlife View Post
    1.5x1.5x3

but there is a power converter block about the same size as well as an in-line fuse.
    Try the dashboard between the vents. Lift off the radio bezel. Do you have a copy of the service manual? It can be found online at http://mmc-manuals.ru

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-17-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Lots of these units have to see the sky. What I mean is they can't be expected to track satellites through a metal plate they are mounted under. Some will work OK under a plastic structure.

Ideally being placed on the dash and camouflaged within a cardboard box might be the best solution.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with you that the GPS antenna can only operate when it has an unobstructed path to the GPS satellites. I suggested that location because the MMES navigation system has located it's satellite antenna there. Though I don't have it, that spot is both concealed and functional.

I'm pretty sure that cover is plastic, not a metal plate.

Forum member Fummins helps maintain a fleet of Mirages (an Oasis of Mirages??) and I wonder if they use any GPS trackers.

Wherever it winds up just make sure it doesn't interfere with the existing vehicle electronics.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-17-2021)

I wouldn't put it anywhere in plain site. Open the fuse panel access, look up and to the front. There is a metal brace with a flat horizontal spot that is perfect for mounting a gps. Velcro tape works good to hold it in place. Take a rag and wipe the dirt and crap from the brace first. The ones I install have 3 wires, battery,ground and ignition. For ground I used one of the bolts holding the steering column in place. You can use pretty much any of the metal bracing behind the plastic dash. For 12v and ign I tapped into the ignition switch harness. You could probably just probe the fuse box and find an easier source. They shouldn't draw enough power to worry about killing a battery unless not used for 6 months..

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)