Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To trade or not to trade my 14DE 5mt to an 18ES 5mt

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question To trade or not to trade my 14DE 5mt to an 18ES 5mt

In 3 months I will have my 14DE paid off. I have reliably put 82000 miles and replace nothing but a set of brakes at 80000 and a set of tires at 67,000 but I have an opportunity to trade in the 14 once it's paid off for an 18. My question is will I get any benefit or should I just keep the 14 that I have and enjoy it? What would you do payment will be cheaper because I have a trade in this time around but is it worth it.

An avg girl who has a long commute with her wine red 5 speed jellybean.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
    In 3 months I will have my 14DE paid off. I have reliably put 82000 miles and replace nothing but a set of brakes at 80000 and a set of tires at 67,000 but I have an opportunity to trade in the 14 once it's paid off for an 18. My question is will I get any benefit or should I just keep the 14 that I have and enjoy it? What would you do payment will be cheaper because I have a trade in this time around but is it worth it.
    Honestly, I am not sure they changed the car enough from '14 to '18 to justify spending a bunch of money and starting those payments all over. Just doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. Now, maybe if you waited until the all-new '19s come out it may be worth it?

Firmer suspension? Manual HVAC controls? Display audio? More NVH abatement? If these are things you are really longing for then going for an '18 might be worth it. If not, then just keep on rolling in the '14. Perhaps see if you can find a leftover '17 you like and can get a good deal on?

JMHO... I just paid mine off earlier this month and have no interest in trading it in whatsoever. Why? Because it's finally MINE now!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-25-2017),Eggman (12-25-2017),inuvik (12-25-2017),MetroMPG (12-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Drive your ‘14 until the wheels come off (figuratively speaking). The resale value has already depreciated to a baseline resale value regardless of mileage. Every month you can drive it and NOT have to make a car payment is sweet sweet cash in your pocket. You can make a lot of repairs per month and still be money ahead. Think it about it this way, you’ve been paying someone else for 4 years or so for the privilege of driving your Mirage. Now, your Mirage is starting to pay you every month you aren’t making a payment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-25-2017),Eggman (12-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
    What would you do payment will be cheaper because I have a trade in this time around but is it worth it.
    I would keep the paid off car. The cheapest car to drive is one that is paid off. Is there anything wrong with your 2014? Save your monthly payments in a separate account if you want and use that towards your next purchase when you have to. Your 2014 will help you get there better than any other car out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    The Mirage has some good qualities. Unfortunately, resale value isn't one of them. A 4 year old base model Mirage with 80K+ miles may only be worth about $2,000 as a trade-in on a new one.

But there's plenty of good news...

• Your car will be paid off soon
    • It's reliable
    • It's cheap to operate
    • It's got plenty of life left
    • It almost can't depreciate any more

What more can you ask for in a car? Like everyone is saying...take advantage of the great situation you're in now and just keep driving it.

If you absolutely must have new one at some point, at least hold out until the next time there are huge rebates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would wait till the huge rebates. My dealer said he would definitely keep me in the loop and we have been in contact because he uses my story to help sell cars as I am the only one he knows that's puts the miles on I do. His dealership asked me to do a story when I hit the 100k mark.
    An avg girl who has a long commute with her wine red 5 speed jellybean.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to seabass1858 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-25-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Enjoy the free ride, unless you run in the money for nuthun' and the chicks are free crowd!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Judging by your join date and mileage In 9 months you'll be out of warrantee. Yea some cars last 200k miles with no issues but some puke the trans at 10k

If i was driving 2,000 miles a month i would get a new car. Sure you might save yourself a few hundred dollars here and there but what's the cost of not having an operable vehicle?

Its different when your a company paying someone to maintain your fleet full time, and have back up cars or whatever.

A new car should be under $180/mo so $2300/yr. By the time you factor in the mandatory maintenance items, the 1 random out of warrantee breakdown.. How much do you truly save?

Unless your a mechanic doing all your own repairs i disagree with everyone. Rolling the dice is never a solid bet. End of the day you'll be driving a car that drove half way to the moon, and risking your ability to do your 2k mile a month commute over chump change "savings"

Driving your mirage until you can get a very good deal on another new one, seems like the safer more reasonable bet

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Judging by your join date and mileage In 9 months you'll be out of warrantee. Yea some cars last 200k miles with no issues but some puke the trans at 10k
    If there are no failures, why get rid of it? At 82,000 miles the owner has replaced a set of brakes and a set of tires. Not too shabby if you ask me.

When failures and breakdowns start to pop up, then this will be solid advice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If there are no failures, why get rid of it? At 82,000 miles the owner has replaced a set of brakes and a set of tires. Not too shabby if you ask me.

When failures and breakdowns start to pop up, then this will be solid advice.
    When failures and breakdowns pop up its already to late