Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S: Autoblog doesn't like the Mirage (road test / review)

U.S: Autoblog doesn't like the Mirage (road test / review)

------

(Update: Autoblog's full review has now been posted:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/07/2...mirage-review/ )

------

Neither Autoblog or Autoblog Green has posted a Mirage review yet. But AutoBlog contributor Brandon Turkus has apparently pre-judged the car, and he declares:

... here's the butter knife Mitsubishi is bringing to the subcompact gun fight.
    It's not a review - it's just an announcement about the Mirage "configurator" now available on the U.S. Mitsubishi web site.

He suggests that the only people who would be interested in building/pricing a Mirage...

...have never heard of the Nissan Versa, Mazda2, Chevrolet Spark or Ford Fiesta
    Makes me wonder if Autoblog is priming itself to out-do Top Gear U.K. for the most negative Mirage review to date.

Have a look at the comments section, though. Over 100 posted so far, and many responders are defending the car on its merits. Although commenter "Snark" says he's driven one and is bashing it as much as possible in the discussion:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/03/mitsubishi-mirage-configurator-is-alive/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I read that as well. There is always a bad apple on every tree

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's always easy to hit a man when he's down.

Usually "nobody cares" about Mitsubishi and its future. And there're always just "few" comments.

Well, the full review is no better:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/07/2...mirage-review/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just read it. Autoblog didn't even surprise me. They still hate this particular automaker.

The reviewer also makes the mistake of saying the Fiesta 1.0T gets better mileage, with no qualifications:

And while the Mirage did briefly hold the title of being America's most fuel-efficient non-hybrid, the 1.0-liter Ford Fiesta now bests it.
    Fiesta's highway rating is higher. Not the city or combined rating. The EPA uses the combined figure when comparing fuel economy (without qualifying it).

And considering how much more tempting that turbo will be, I bet few Fiesta owners are not going to get the rated mileage compared to Mirage drivers. Not to mention Ford's recent history of "fudging" (I mean making "mistakes" on) their EPA ratings.

I was going to post, but I post so little there, I forget my username/pw.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The reviewer also makes the mistake of saying the Fiesta 1.0T gets better mileage, with no qualifications:

Fiesta's highway rating is higher. Not the city or combined rating. The EPA uses the combined figure when comparing fuel economy (without qualifying it).

And considering how much more tempting that turbo will be, I bet few Fiesta owners are not going to get the rated mileage compared to Mirage drivers. Not to mention Ford's recent history of "fudging" (I mean making "mistakes" on) their EPA ratings.

I was going to post, but I post so little there, I forget my username/pw.
    It also costs 4k more for the model that can come with that engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    they also quote a versa hatch at 11,990 when it starts at 13,990.

15,990 if you like "luxurious" things like power door locks and windows and remote keyless entry,lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Heres the Comment I left on the Autoblog review of the Mirage.

"Autoblog, you know whats really funny? The fact that you call up the Mazda2 as some great benchmark that all small cars should follow, but the Mazda2 is at the bottom of its class as far as sales go. Shouldn't you benchmark NOT be a joke in the segment in which it is sold?

Also funny? The Mirage OUTSOLD THE MAZDA2 IN THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER (724 Mazda2; 1053 Mirage) AND DECEMBER (1228 Mazda2; 1388 Mirage). Remember still, the Mirage is only supposed to sell around 570 units per month or 7,000 per year. Its doing very well.

Not sure about the heated seat issue, as Mirages sold in Canada do have heated front seats. Not sure why that didn't make it to the US?"

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    There are indeed some things i don't understand. Why didn't Mitsubishi makes a general Mirage for the whole world? It's easier on producing. For example: Why are there no cruise control option at all on european models? No Steering wheel audio control as well! No heated seat.
    US and Canada don't have outside temperature meter in their MID, WHY NOT????

Despite those facts I still enjoy driving my little miracle everyday ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)