Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I must be missing something here. Why not just buy a functional key from your dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I must be missing something here. Why not just buy a functional key from your dealer?
    Cost: $195.00 for the key, $10.00 for cutting, $55.00 for programming.

The key I bought on e-bay cost me $99.00, my local locksmith cut it for free, and my local Mitzi dealer informed me it can't be programmed to the car. After I complained to the e-bay seller, he refunded me $50.00.

So, for $40 I got a key that works perfectly - except for starting the car. Why spend $260 for another key when I can just "fix" my car to work with the $40 key I already have, when I activate the cruise control.

I'm cheap and greedy, and more concerned about someone stealing the $2500+ tools I have in the car (when I'm working) then someone stealing the car itself. The loss of the tools would be more harmful then losing the car - without the tools, I won't need the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. Have you asked your dealer to check your key? I wonder if they would take care of it for you.

It would be better than disabling your theft prevention system.
    Theft prevention?
    I leave my key in the ignition.
    My spare is on a hook just inside the door at my house.
    The door is unlocked.
    When I bought the house in the early 80s I asked about the key they didnt have one.
    During some remodeling in the late 90s I replaced the door and lock set the key is with the spare keys by the door.
    I lock it if I'm going on vacation for more than a few days.

You should move some where better

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    You should move some where better
    Haha I see your point. I kinda like our neighborhood well enough. I guess I could move somewhere 'better' - however that is defined - but I'm not sure it would help another forum member get their key working properly again.

I still tend to think that automobile manufacturers have been using some form of security device for many decades now for a reason, nice neighborhood or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Mirage (My Little Roller Skate) is the first vehicle I've owned that required ignition keys be programmed to the vehicle; all my previous vehicles, the keys needed only be mechanically compatible. I always lock my car, even in my own driveway. I'm not too worried about immobilizing the immobilizer, as long as the security alarm system continues to work.

Now (dragging this thread back on to topic), I've ordered the doo-hicky from Daox (he shipped it today) and the brake switch from Mitzubishi parts. I went to download the ETacs decoder program and xHorse drivers, only to discover they're NOT FREE. And paying for them only enables them for a limited time; they're not expensive ($35.00 and up), but the limited time is very disappointing. It may still be less expensive then paying a dealer to do it, but still, I was hoping for free or cheap and good till the wheels fall off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    What exactly isn't free anymore?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    I went to download the ETacs decoder program and xHorse drivers, only to discover they're NOT FREE. And paying for them only enables them for a limited time; they're not expensive ($35.00 and up), but the limited time is very disappointing.
    I have all my parts and am ready to install this weekend. I downloaded the ETACS program and the XHorse drivers for free. I have not installed them yet. Do you have to do an in program purchase before they work? Was also wondering if this ETACS software will allow me to enable the fog lights and any other factory stuff that was not enabled?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Here is a list of settings that ETACs allows you to change.

ETACS Tweaks?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    An item of note, I went to install the brake light switch and discovered I already had the switch with the extra contacts. I guess I have a spare now! All items are installed, I have the software loaded on my Windows 7 Pro X64 laptop, but can not get the drivers to install. I click the MVCI for Toyota msi file in the Xhorse folder and it begins installation, but then it stops after a minute and says installation incomplete because of an error. I recieved a disk with my cable and tried the driver from it, it also does the same thing. Any ideas?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Floyd View Post
    I have all my parts and am ready to install this weekend. I downloaded the ETACS program and the XHorse drivers for free. I have not installed them yet. Do you have to do an in program purchase before they work? Was also wondering if this ETACS software will allow me to enable the fog lights and any other factory stuff that was not enabled?
    When I went to the provided link, there was no place to just downlod the software; I would have to first buy a time-limited subscription to get to a download link. Perhaps the link had been hijacked; when I get the time, I'll do a search for other sources of the software.