Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I downloaded everything for free but paid for more than my free two changes. That's weird.

Shake and bake baby

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there an understandable guide to the ETACS software and forum? The language barrier leaves me unsure of what is what. I think you can get two free changes per week/month (don't remember off the top of my head) and you can pay for more if needed? Is that correct?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Have you seen the write up I did for the cruise control kit? There is a section in it for the ETACs stuff.

DIY Installing a Daox cruise control kit & enabling in ETACs
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Have you seen the write up I did for the cruise control kit? There is a section in it for the ETACs stuff.

DIY Installing a Daox cruise control kit & enabling in ETACs

I have seen it, and it is very clear, but the need to pay for each change is not addressed in your write up, and the etac forum is not the easiest to understand when it comes to the pay for use vs, any free use.

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Floyd View Post
    I have seen it, and it is very clear, but the need to pay for each change is not addressed in your write up, and the etac forum is not the easiest to understand when it comes to the pay for use vs, any free use.
    If you have the etacs decoder downloaded you can select to pay within the application. I used PayPal because its the easiest option in my opinion. I paid $8 for 6 writes.
    Shake and bake baby

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LetItMarinate For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (05-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have just installed the Daox Cruise control kit (Daox, you're a 3D-printing genius!) in my 2017 Mirage; I have a little advice for anyone planning to install this kit in a 2017 or newer vehicle, because there are some minor differences from the instructions provided in this thread.

First: before buying a brake light switch, check to see what switch is already on your vehicle; the brake switches, and the electrical connectors for them, ARE different from previous years and are not interchangeable. I wasted $30 buying a switch that is not for my vehicle, won't connect to the electrical connector, and I can't return. As you can see, in the photo below, it is a different style:
    Name:  0504181005R-00.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  85.2 KB

I disconnected the connector to see how many contacts are actually in there, and there are all four contacts there, so I'm probabley good to go. A side note: it's also located farther up under the dash then the old style appears to be.

Installing the Daox Cruise Control Kit (the buttons) in the dash went as expected and as described elsewhere in this thread:
    Name:  0504181037-01.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  83.8 KB
    Looks real good.

Next came the connection to the steering column wiring, and my next word of advice:

If you are doing this with the battery connected, DO NOT MESS WITH THAT YELLOW CONNECTOR! It is for the air bag in the steering wheel and if you unplug that connector, with the battery connected, you may get an unpleasent surprise. Of course, the best choice is to disconnect the battery before doing this, but, if you're like me, it's just too much of a hassle. Fortunately, I recognized that connector for the "detonator" it can be, and stayed away from it.

Plugging in the cruise control cable to the proper connector is somewhat straight forward, however, on my car, the yellow and brown wires are actually yellow with a brown stripe, and brown with a white stripe. The connector appears to be a little smaller then what is pictured elsewhere in this thread, but the pins will fit; they're just a little snug to get started.
    Name:  0504181048-00.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  86.8 KB

I buttoned up everything, being careful to route the cruise control cable away from the mechanism for the adjustable steering column, so it wouldn't get pinched in the clamp. It all looks good.

I have not yet reprogrammed the ETACS; I wanted to get the mechanical work out of the way first and share with you my experience and what I encountered. I will, hopefully, reprogram the ETACS in the next day or two, but first, I need to work up the courage to download and install 'Russian' software on my good computer. (Hmmm...maybe I'll use my old, junk computer for that.)

Anyway, I hope this helps those of you venturing into modifying your automobile.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by stecoop; 05-04-2018 at 04:04 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-04-2018),inuvik (05-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got the software downloaded and installed on an old windows xp laptop. The etacs program runs fine on Windows 10/8/7 64 bit computers, but the xhorse drivers will not install, at least on the computers I tried. They will install on a 32 bit system, which is why I wound up on an old xp machine. If you have a 32 bit version of Windows 7/8 it may work, but I had no access to one of those. Hope this helps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Right now, I'm in the process of setting up the software for my MINI-VCI cable; the software is for 64-bit systems and appers to include the x-horse drivers. When (if) I get all this working and talking to My Little Roller Skate, I will then worry about the ETACS stuff. Onwards and Upwards.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    I wasted $30 buying a switch that is not for my vehicle, won't connect to the electrical connector, and I can't return.
    Maybe someone on the forum will buy it from you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I've been at it for over three hours now and cannot get Windows to install the X-Horse drivers. I've tried all the tricks I could find...unzipping the .MSI file and installing the .INF files directly; updateing drivers on the USB port by directing Windows to the X-Horse drivers; I even tried an old trick of forcing windows to accept a driver it thinks is incompatible. Nothing has worked.

I did download and install the ETACS decoder program and paid for 5 additional writes. I've run ETACS and gone through all the registration stuff, and ETACS is happy with me as a registered user, but the CAN settings under OPTIONS is still blank.

Can anybody, please, give me some more ideas to get this working?