Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After exploring Windows and the device manager, it appears that Windows is in fact, loading and running the drivers; but, for some reason, ETACS is not seeing them. Now, I'm really confused and frustrated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've examined the logs for ETACS. on one line there is an entry:

Pass-thru driver name:

but there is no name; I'm wondering if I'm still missing a driver for the Mini-VCI J2534 cable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm done! I'm not wasting anymore time or money on this project; I will never have a working cruise control in my car.

The ETACS decoder program is poorly designed junkware - it should NOT be this difficult to make it work.

The Techstream software that came with my VCI cable requires a subscription to use it: 2 days of use for $15.00! OUTRAGEOUS!

The firmware update program for the VCI cable has no trouble finding the cable and acquiring information from it, BUT it can't find the update server for updating the firmware!

Why is there so much worthless, crap software out there!?!

Daox, you created a really nice cruise control kit, but it's no use to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (05-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is it actually an additional subscription for just a driver to use the decoder hardware? Is that the Toyota decoder linked?
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    Is it actually an additional subscription for just a driver to use the decoder hardware? Is that the Toyota decoder linked?
    The Techstream software requires a subscription to use the Techstream software; it includes the driver that is specific to the VCI cable.

I think the problem with the ETACS decoder program is that it's a 32-bit program looking for 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS. I installed 64-bit drivers but ETACS just doesn't see them; and I know from experience that installing 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS is extremely difficult, and NOT recommended.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally got to work on the software part of the install. The old win XP 32 bit computer I borrowed/was given to me, needed work. I had to get a new battery ($13) add 1GB of memory ($7) so it would operate faster, and clean the system to get rid of years of useless programs that were hogging resources. Having done all that it would function with out a 10 minute wait everytime I clicked a button!

I went through Daox tutorial and enabled the etacs settings and now have cruise control!!! I did not have to pay to do this. I was so happy with the results though, that I did buy five extra request from the etacs site. The guy deserves it and I'm going to enable a few more options eg foglights. Don't be discouraged, it is easy to do. Daox did the hard part in making the kit and deciphering the software, Thanks Daox!!

EDIT: I am going to splice my wires from Daox kit to the yellow and brown wires under the steering column. My horn no longer works since the plug is no longer connected, and I will feel better about a more sure connection between the switch and wires. If the horn works again after I reconnect the plug I'll let you know!
    Last edited by 2015 Floyd; 05-12-2018 at 05:25 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2015 Floyd For This Useful Post:

bzacon (05-13-2018),Daox (05-12-2018),Eggman (05-12-2018),LetItMarinate (05-15-2018),MetroMPG (05-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Sweet success - congratulations.

What other options do you think you'll enable? I heard you can change the number of turn signal blinks on the momentary bump of the turn signal stalk. How about enabling the outside temperature display?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This maybe a stupid question but can i install the cruise control without a clutch switch? Sorry in advance if its an absurd question.
    Shake and bake baby

Just a guess:

You probably could, but you might redline the engine if you ever pushed in the clutch while cruise was active. If you let the clutch out again while that was happening, it wouldn't be pretty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (05-15-2018)

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That shouldn't be an issue for me. Thanks!

Shake and bake baby