Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Just a guess:

You probably could, but you might redline the engine if you ever pushed in the clutch while cruise was active. If you let the clutch out again while that was happening, it wouldn't be pretty.
    Yeah, but he might pop a hel'of'va wheelie!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-16-2018)

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hahah! I just tried it without the clutch switch and my little Mitsubishi exploded! I I only had seconds to get out. �� Jk I got the cruise light to come on but that was it. I had no cruise functions at all. I'll report back when I get my clutch switch in sometime this week. Oh and also I got my etacs decoder to work just swimmingly with my cheap Amazon mini vci J2534. If anyone needs help decoding(pun intended) the horrible Russian to English translations I think I can help.
    Shake and bake baby

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LetItMarinate For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    Yeah, but he might pop a hel'of'va wheelie!
    Only in reverse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

bzacon (05-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't believe I am reading this. Are you people really spending time and money trying to develop a home brew cruise control kit?

I've got 200k miles on my car. One of the first things I did when I bought it new was install a custom made drive by wire kit from Rostra. It cost about $300 for everything, except the clutch kit. I decided not to install that safety device.

Basically you mount a switch on the steering wheel column, hide the computer module near the fuse box, tap into 12v and ground, plug the wiring harness into the gas pedal, and plug the switch into the computer. BAM! You then have a very nice cruise control unit with no headache.

You can go on www.rostra.com, put in your car information, and they will tell you the exact part numbers you need. I ordered my stuff on eBay.

Here is an install hint though, put dielectric grease on all of the connectors, specifically at the gas pedal. This kit is drive by wire and it intercepts the throttle signal. You want the cleanest signal possible for good throttle response.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I can't believe I am reading this. Are you people really spending time and money trying to develop a home brew cruise control kit?
    My lazy self just read through this thread. Looks LIke I stand corrected, by myself. A homebrew cruise control switch for $40 plus programming the ECM doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Back when I purchased my 2014 Mirage, the Rostra unit was all that was available. Still, it was $300 well spent and I have no regrets.

It sounds like reprogramming the ECM for cruise is either super easy or super difficult. I'm glad I don't have to monkey with it, although I would be tempted if I didn't already have the Rostra unit.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-17-2018),MetroMPG (05-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ehh I still think it was worth it to me. Less than $100 to have Cruise control? For getta about it!
    Shake and bake baby

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you ever splice the wires? Also did u stay with the stock brake switch since it already has 4 connectors? I ask because I have a 2017 also
    Last edited by LetItMarinate; 05-18-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    Shake and bake baby

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly, I took one look at that kit and saw that it is trying to imitate Toyota's excellent cruise control stalk, but by being a nasty fixed stick with buttons on it. I immediately decided they could go *censored* but if you like the kit, awesome! For that money, I would expect a much better set of buttons or a stalk that actually moves. How do you like the Rostra kit though? Perhaps it's not as bad as I think it looks
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    Honestly, I took one look at that kit and saw that it is trying to imitate Toyota's excellent cruise control stalk, but by being a nasty fixed stick with buttons on it. I immediately decided they could go *censored* but if you like the kit, awesome! For that money, I would expect a much better set of buttons or a stalk that actually moves. How do you like the Rostra kit though? Perhaps it's not as bad as I think it looks
    I've been using Rostra cruise control units for nearly a decade. They work just as good as OEM and even look OEM.

I'm not knocking the $40 kit but the Rostra stalk looks about a million times more original.

Rostra units aren't cheap but they are very well made. I've used the cheap $50 vacuum advance kits from other companies and I can say first hand, they are garbage compared to what Rostra sells.

I've had Rostra units in a 2001 Saturn, 2014 Mirage and 1983 Delorean. The next car I buy will have a Rostra unit as well, unless it already has cruise installed.

It takes less than an hour to install the Rostra unit and you don't have to monkey around with a programmer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Using info from stevedmc we can see how the Mirage ETACS cruise control compares to other kits such as Rostra. What RPMs does your Rostra cruise keep the engine at various speeds? 45, 55, 65 mph?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)