Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'd like to see a comparison between the performance of the OEM cruise control and the Rostra. I would expect the OEM arrangement to better manage the CVT. The Rostra cannot do that.

There's one way to find out for certain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I agree. I am very confident that the OEM cruise control paired with a CVT trans will get better fuel economy than a Rostra cruise kit. As several owners have mentioned, the CVT + OEM cruise results in lower cruising rpm. The Rostra kit works by intercepting the gas pedal position sensor and modifying the output to regulate the speed. In this case, the OEM ecu just sees normal throttle input from the gas pedal position sensor as if a normal person were driving. You would not see the typical RPM reduction in this case.

As for the manual, I think the fuel economy would be fairly similar.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I agree, I am very confident that the OEM cruise control paired with a CVT trans will get better fuel economy than a Rostra cruise kit. As several owners have mentioned, the CVT + OEM cruise results in lower cruising rpm. The Rostra kit works by intercepting the gas pedal position sensor and modifying the output to regulate the speed. In this case, the OEM ecu just sees normal throttle input from the gas pedal position sensor as if a normal person were driving. You would not see the typical RPM reduction in this case.

As for the manual, I think the fuel economy would be fairly similar.
    You're absolutely right about the OEM cruise aggressively selecting the most economical rpm's at all times. Without the cruise on conditions have to be absolutely perfect in order for the CVT to select the overdrive ratio of .55. With the cruise on it seeks the lowest possible ratio immediately and attempts to hold it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-04-2018),Daox (01-04-2018),Top_Fuel (01-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Continuing on with the development, I've selected the switches to be used as well as the resistors. The resistor values I've pulled from this post. I can't use those exact part numbers because those are surface mount resistors, and I will need through hole resistors for ease of assembly / solder. The switches are also selected. They are very small tactile switches. They need to be small to fit into the dash blanking plate, and they just barely fit.

I have these parts on order and they should arrive soon!

I've redesigned the 3d printed parts to be a two piece deal. This means easier and quicker assembly which means a kit will cost less for those interested.

I also colored them close to what they'd actually look like. Yes, the switches are actually red. Well, the buttons are at least. So, this is kind of what it'll look like once its made up. I still think there is some cleaning up to do, but we're getting close. I'm sure I will have issues printing that tiny text with the 3d printer. It'll take some testing and experimental printing to get it all right.

Name:  cruise2sm.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  22.5 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-05-2018),Top_Fuel (01-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Continuing on with the development, I've selected the switches to be used as well as the resistors. The resistor values I've pulled from this post. I can't use those exact part numbers because those are surface mount resistors, and I will need through hole resistors for ease of assembly / solder. The switches are also selected. They are very small tactile switches. They need to be small to fit into the dash blanking plate, and they just barely fit.

I have these parts on order and they should arrive soon!

I've redesigned the 3d printed parts to be a two piece deal. This means easier and quicker assembly which means a kit will cost less for those interested.

I also colored them close to what they'd actually look like. Yes, the switches are actually red. Well, the buttons are at least. So, this is kind of what it'll look like once its made up. I still think there is some cleaning up to do, but we're getting close. I'm sure I will have issues printing that tiny text with the 3d printer. It'll take some testing and experimental printing to get it all right.

Name:  cruise2sm.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  22.5 KB
    Might be easier to control the quality of the type if it was inset rather than protruding. Also, if it needed to be cleaned up after printing it might be easier with a knife. Have you considered mass producing these with resin once you have a good prototype?
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quite true, and that is a good suggestion about the type / lettering. On previous projects I have done this and it has worked well. In this case, there are grooves in the back so that the other piece can clip into the face plate. If I recess the lettering, it will cut into those grooves. I could make the face plate thicker, but that would reduce the length of the tabs / clips and I would rather not do that as its already pretty stiff due to being so short.

At this point, I don't think there are really that many people interested. So, I'm mostly developing this kit for myself. I am not anticipating the need for mass production.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    We don't have headlight adjust here
    Really? Does your car have automatic headlight adjust? Or do Americans just glare your opponents, when having weight in the back?

Here is a picture I snapped after pulling out the blank.
    Ah, there are 3 slots. Then I should have one left either. Tataa!:
    Name:  buttons.jpeg
Views: 1426
Size:  49.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-06-2018),LetItMarinate (04-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Really? Does your car have automatic headlight adjust? Or do Americans just glare your opponents, when having weight in the back?
    We have no headlight adjustment at the driver's console, nor is there any automatic adjustment.

I would like to have the option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the glove box light mod pretty much wrapped up, this project will now be my main focus.

Still, I've been chugging along on this project. I got my brake and clutch switches ordered the other night. The part numbers are:

Brake switch - 8614A183
    Clutch switch - 8606A025

I ordered them from Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse. I checked a few places online and they were the cheapest. If anyone has a better source I'm all ears.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-09-2018)

As several owners have mentioned, the CVT + OEM cruise results in lower cruising rpm.
    FYI, I did not see the RPM drop in the G4 I tested when I engaged cruise. I tried it several times.

I will add though that I drove the car with a pretty light foot. So if there's any adaptive logic in the PCU, it would have already been at low RPM when I engaged cruise.

Also, I've installed an aftermarket cruise kit in my Firefly/Metro (Audiovox in this case), and it has settings to adjust the sensitivity of the cruise with respect to the set speed, and rapidity of the throttle response. You can effectively let the speed wander more and set the acceleration to be more gentle when it goes out of range. Potentially effective for better MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)