Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed a power sub in the back today 19' Se .

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Installed a power sub in the back today 19' Se .

It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The unit is a JL Audio ACP108LG-W3v3. It can turn on when a speaker signal is detected so no need for a remote turn on wire.

I ran the 8 gauge to the left of the engine to the side of the vehicle close to where the rear wiper fluid tube goes. Take the center trim (between B-pillar floor trim, and footwell corner trim) off. Then take the footwell trim off (has 1 fastener). There's an unused grommet next to the rear wiper fluid tube grommet. You'll want to take that out. Next, take out the signal indicator on the body. This will give you space and vision to fish the 8g wire and push it through the grommet hole (i used a metal hangar). Drilled a hole into the grommet and pushed the 8g through it. Reinstalled grommet with the help of soapy water and screw driver.

At this point ask yourself do you want to just run the wire to the back or remove panels so cables (8guage power and speaker wire) are not seen. If you don't care about the wire being visible, then most of the work is done. Just need to tap (i soldered) the speaker wire in the wire loom that leads into the b-pillar. (red + rear right, brown - rear right, these cables change colors at the door loom which then lead to the speaker itself) and re-install trims. Tap back seat bolt for ground. Connect wires to amp, and job is done !

I went the no wires visible route. For this you'll have to remove everything from the trunk except the spare tire. Center trunk trim pulls out. Right side trunk trim has 3-4 fasteners that need to be removed (i used a flat head screw driver) then it pulls out. Right side rear lower trim (goes under the seat a little) pulls out. I only unfastened the lower part of the b-pillar trim (you'll have enough room to fish wires with a metal hangar). Run wires and re-install trim carefully.

I have the stock headunit (without RF) that has the apple play feature. This powered sub adds a sweet low end to a system that was almost completely missing it. This powered sub is kinda expensive if you want to just get some low end, but I had it laying around from a previous car. If all you want to do is add that missing low end, you could spend a lot less. The wiring kit I used was $29 from sonic electronic (no rca wire), and you could get a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD (cheapest I could find) which also can turn on with a signal from the speaker wire for $170. Around $200 to get some low end. What do you guys think ?

*thank you to inuvik for posting the wiring diagram (https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post74122 post#2)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Not too shabby. I can appreciate the difference a subwoofer makes.

Now let's see some pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here are some pictures. I don't have a permanent solution to keep the sub from moving around. I was thinking of picking up a super strong rubber band that pickup truck owners use to keep things from moving around in their bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Sipperofgas; 07-19-2020 at 01:07 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sipperofgas For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipperofgas View Post
    ...Just need to tap...the speaker wire in the wire loom that leads into the b-pillar. ...red + rear right, brown - rear right...
    ...Connect wires to amp, and job is done
    I've never used speaker level inputs into a subwoofer amp before.

You need to tap both the left and right rear speaker wire pairs to do this, right? So your setup looks like the diagram below?

Name:  subwoofer2.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  70.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never used speaker level into amp before this mirage install, and not every amp supports it. My setup is just like that except I have only the rear right signal tapped. Do you think i'm missing musical info from not tapping the left rear signal ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...My setup is just like that except I have only the rear right signal tapped.
    Do you think i'm missing musical info from not tapping the left rear signal?
    That's the question I have...but I don't know the answer.

I'm guessing the answer is that you probably should tap both the right and left rear channels and connect them to your amp. But I can't tell you why. I'm sure the answer is out on the web somewhere...but I looked around for a few minutes and couldn't find it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked around too, and only found people recommending both channels, but no reasons why. I guess i'll listen to just 1 channel for a week or so. Then i'll tap into the left rear and report my findings.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sipperofgas For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-20-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I ran the 8 gauge to the left of the engine to the side of the vehicle close to where the rear wiper fluid tube goes. Take the center trim (between B-pillar floor trim, and footwell corner trim) off. Then take the footwell trim off (has 1 fastener). There's an unused grommet next to the rear wiper fluid tube grommet. You'll want to take that out. Next, take out the signal indicator on the body. This will give you space and vision to fish the 8g wire and push it through the grommet hole (i used a metal hangar). Drilled a hole into the grommet and pushed the 8g through it. Reinstalled grommet with the help of soapy water and screw driver.
    You're referring to this?
    Name:  alternate hole for wiring harness.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  30.5 KB

I've never used speaker level into amp before this mirage install, and not every amp supports it. My setup is just like that except I have only the rear right signal tapped. Do you think i'm missing musical info from not tapping the left rear signal ?
    IMO .. the bass sound is more powerful when both channels are connected

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    You're referring to this?
    Name:  alternate hole for wiring harness.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  30.5 KB

IMO .. the bass sound is more powerful when both channels are connected
    Yes that's the grommet !

I'm going to tap the left rear sometime this week. I highly recommend adding a sub to the stock system, as it is missing so much detail below 100hz.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Crutchfield has a powered 8" bandpass for 129.99 new. 29$ for a wiring kit. $160 total. If you can figure out how to tap into a remote wire turn on for the amp. Pretty good investment if you ask me.