Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Warm Air Intake – Air box tube to exhaust manifold

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Just for the record, that box on the snorkel assembly next to the snorkel is the resonator, not a silencer. The purpose of the resonator is to increase torque a bit at the frequencies it resonates at. It was a good idea to let it remain just as it was.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-09-2018),Top_Fuel (01-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Now that you have been running this intake for a while, how are you liking it? Any changes noticeable? Positive / negative comments?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Now that you have been running this intake for a while, how are you liking it? Any changes noticeable? Positive / negative comments?
    Funny you should ask...

I am now in the development process of Air Box Tube 2.0

When I originally put this together, I just assumed that if the tube was close to the exhaust manifold, that the intake temps would be adequate. I'd like to see 75 degree intake temps when the ambient temp is 0. That's just not going to happen with my current design.

The next design is focusing on isolating the end of the tube to the hole in the exhaust manifold shield... I'll post an update when my next order of raw materials shows up...lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-19-2018),Eggman (01-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, version 2.0. Sounds good.

Do you have any concerns with it getting to hot? What do you plan on doing once spring rolls around?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Do you have any concerns with it getting to hot?
    Absolutely...that's a concern I have when you talk about isolating the end of the intake tube to the exhaust manifold heat shield. I think that will be OK when the ambient temps are 40 degrees or below. But with temps above that, I think something like my existing setup (with the intake pipe close to the exhaust manifold but still open to surrounding air) will be OK.

So ultimately what I'm thinking about is the ability to use a silicone reducer and adjust it up/down on the intake pipe depending on the outside temperatures. I think once spring rolls around and we have consistent 70+ degree days, I'm not sure I'll run any warm air intake at all.

I know someone else had a warm air intake setup where he ran it year-round with intake temps well above 100. I'm not interested in doing anything that extreme.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was sporting about yesterday with my front grill stuffed up with pipe insulation - the radiator cooling vents blocked. I also had my ipad and OBDii hooked up and looking at various things. The intake air temp was hovering around 100F and it was about 40F outside. I took the pipe insulation out because I thought it was getting too warm.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great tip man. Nice idea and good trick on materials.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I was sporting about yesterday with my front grill stuffed up with pipe insulation - the radiator cooling vents blocked. I also had my ipad and OBDii hooked up and looking at various things. The intake air temp was hovering around 100F and it was about 40F outside. I took the pipe insulation out because I thought it was getting too warm.
    Forum member fifteenwindow had those temperatures and more during his testing:

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    I took a trip with the warm air intake and insulation on, then one with them off the engine to get some mpg numbers, then I put it back on and took another trip. Here's what I got:

Trip A - Insulated WAI, insulated snout & airbox, ambient temps 10-20s F, IATs ~145-160 F, 209 miles, 4.394 gallons of fuel - 47.6 mpg

Trip B - stock intake, ambient temps in 10-20s F, IATs 40-60 F, 216 miles, 4.745 gallons of fuel - 45.5 mpg

Trip C - Insulated WAI, insulated snout & airbox, ambient temps 9-12 F, IATs ~118 F, 155 miles, 3.216 gallons of fuel - 48.2 mpg
    Click on the little blue box to read the original post or browse the entire thread from it's start.

Warm Air Intake.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    any update on version 2.0? I like how clean this setup is!

I didn't see a note of how the stock intake was blocked off...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    any update on version 2.0?
    I should be posting about it in the next few days. The newer version is actually easier to build...and it installs with no tools.

I didn't see a note of how the stock intake was blocked off...
    I never put together an elaborate block off mechanism. I just stuck a piece of foam pipe insulation in the end of the stock intake snorkel.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (10-21-2018)