Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater core and oil consumption question

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Heater core and oil consumption question

Hey guys. Not been here a while but I've got a couple quick questions. About a year back my heater core went(which seems to be a common enough issue with the mirage), it had emptied my coolant and the engine temp light came on. I pulled over, shut the car off and had it towed to the dealer. The coolant was bone dry. Since then my car has been burning oil. A lot of oil. Figuring about 1.5 liters for every 8000km driven(so about half the oil between oil changes). I've taken it to the dealer, they've confirmed it's burning oil, but they've given me paperwork that states their vehicles are allowed to burn up to 4 liters(130% of its capacity) between oil changes :/. What do I do with this? Car has 95000 km. Still in warranty

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    ...my car has been burning oil.
    ...about 1.5 liters for every 8000km driven
    Using 1.5 liters of oil in 8,000 km may be unusual for a Mirage, but it is nowhere near what any manufacturer is going to consider excessive.

In the US, most manufactures consider 1 quart every 800-1000 miles as "acceptable." That would be about 1 liter every 1200-1600 kilometers. It is similar in Europe. So you may be using oil, but the dealer is telling you the truth.

Here's excessive oil consumption...
    My 1-owner 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse uses 1 liter (quart) of oil every 640 km (400 miles). It needs valve seals in a bad way...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

daleWV (01-08-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you are mechanically inclined I would try replacing the valve stem seals in the engine, they were probably cooked when your coolant was lost. Otherwise I don't think your oil usage is terribly bad actually. Cost wise it might be easier to just live with it. If so, you might try running a little heavier grade of oil to cut down on consumption.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-08-2018),Top_Fuel (01-08-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    But if my engine is burning oil as a result of a faulty part, should Mitsubishi not be required to fix that under warranty? My biggest worry isn't the cost of oil burned, it's the idea that a car I still owe 2 years worth of payments on falling apart 5km after the warranty :/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All I know, is if my car wasn't burning oil until after a faulty core that lead to an overheat, I wouldn't be leaving that dealership until they were fixing it. That's a coverable warranty claim, no way around it.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thank you! Everybody I've spoken to is shocked they consider burning 4L acceptable as it is

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thank you! Everybody I've spoken to is shocked they consider burning 4L acceptable as it is
    It's awful in my opinion. This probably won't be of any help to you but back in the day I had a '78 Chevette with the same problem, a quart or two every 2-3000 klicks. I took it to the dealer as you did and got the same answer...I knew they were full of it.

Anyway a few years after selling it I found out that when some mechanics would tune up these engines the PCV hose that was intended to suck up the blow-by gases would sometimes get pushed way too far into the valve cover and get partly submerged in the oil returning to the crankcase and suck in oil as well where it got burned in the engine, presto... an instant oil burner...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Here's excessive oil consumption...
    My 1-owner 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse uses 1 liter (quart) of oil every 640 km (400 miles). It needs valve seals in a bad way...
    That's nothing! I had a 97 dodge diesel that used 20 liters/about 5 gallons of oil in 1000kms(Edmonton to kelowna). It had so much blow by it poured oil past the crank seal. Thankfully It slowed down tremendously when I forgot to put the oil cap back on. I shoulda known something was up when the previous owner had a canvas tarp strapped to the frame under the engine...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-25-2022),Top_Fuel (01-08-2018)

We have a Mirage with over 300000kms. It only uses 1/2 liter every 6000kms. I'd be annoyed at 1 1/2.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Vega!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)