Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear drum brake removal/replacement: An introduction

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Interesting. Something more to look for when I inspect mine in spring. Thanks!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    In theory...

If the rear shoe adjusters are working correctly, you use your parking brake regularly, and your brake shoes are in decent shape...then the number of 'clicks' you get pulling up on the parking brake handle should remain the same over time.

So if you can pull your parking brake handle up 10+ clicks, it's time for a visual inspection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-14-2018),mohammad (10-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    In theory...

If the rear shoe adjusters are working correctly, you use your parking brake regularly, and your brake shoes are in decent shape...then the number of 'clicks' you get pulling up on the parking brake handle should remain the same over time.

So if you can pull your parking brake handle up 10+ clicks, it's time for a visual inspection.
    Absolutely. I knew mine were gone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice write up. Liked the pictures and telling me exactly what size socket. I did however have to release the emergency brake adjustment nut. I tried for 45 min to fiddle with shoe adjusters and drums wouldn't go back on. When I loosing up emergency brake adjustment nut drums went back on easy.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dmtgamepack For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-14-2018),MetroMPG (02-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmtgamepack View Post
    Nice write up. Liked the pictures and telling me exactly what size socket. I did however have to release the emergency brake adjustment nut. I tried for 45 min to fiddle with shoe adjusters and drums wouldn't go back on. When I loosing up emergency brake adjustment nut drums went back on easy.
    Glad to hear it helped a little. Had you ever adjusted the parking brake adjuster nut before? Mine had never been touched over the entire life of the rear brake shoes, which may be why I did not need to mess with it.

Belated addition of this thread to ...
    Mirage Modifications, Customizations, and DIY list

Thanks, Cobrajet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I use my kitchen as a shop as well.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Weird postscript to this story.

For the last few months it has rained pretty much constantly here. It dried out for a few days last week, and consequently I was able to clearly hear what sounded like wheel bearing noise coming from the rear of the car. It was fairly loud, and appeared to be coming from the right side. I actually, physically GROANED about it when it became clear that some work needed to be done here...

Last night I jacked up the rear of the car and spun the wheels. The bearings didn't sound bad, but the right one was definitely a bit louder than the left. I decided to drive the car all day today and listen for the noise more carefully. It was obviously loud, obviously bearing noise, and obviously on the right side.

So tonight I took the right rear wheel off and removed the brake drum to inspect the bearing. After pulling it off of the stub axle the inner race just fell out, and the bearing came apart in my hand...

Whoa! When I had to replace the one drum earlier this year I decided to just replace both sides at the same time, with parts from the same donor car. I figured it would be better to have two 41k drum/bearing assemblies than to have a 41k assembly on one side and an 84k assembly on the other. I was smart enough to keep the old parts (precisely because one drum and both bearings were still good) so I had a spare on hand to swap in. I could also feel the bearings in the other two hubs to see if they would come apart simply by being touched, just as the one I had removed did. They both had a little wiggle to them, but the inner bearing race would not come out of either of my old drums.

I put it all back together with the old drum...the good one that came out of the car at 84k...and took it for a drive. All is quiet now. So...

...maybe the donor car had a bad rear axle, and the bearing was fatally worn when it was installed.
    ...maybe the donor rear drums were removed with power tools, which is supposedly a no-no.
    ...maybe I over-torqued the axle nut when installing this drum on my car.
    ...maybe I under-torqued the axle nut when installing this drum on my car.
    ...maybe this bearing was defective from the factory.

I now have one bad drum with a good bearing sitting on a shelf in my garage, and I also have one good drum with a bad bearing sitting in my garage! All's well that ends well...I just hope this is the end of it.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 04-19-2018 at 09:56 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-19-2018),Top_Fuel (04-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    You have to remove a snap-ring to remove the bearing from the drum/hub...right?

Name:  Rear Wheel Bearing.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  11.6 KB

I think I will pull the drums off the next time I have my car in the air. Is each bearing a sealed unit? In other words, you can't re-pack them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Yeah they're a sealed unit. You can probably squeeze some grease into the center of the bearing(after removing the drum) if you really wanted to.

Is it just me or is there rust in the drum behind where the dust cap should seal it from water and dirt?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-20-2018)