Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear drum brake removal/replacement: An introduction

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I suspect Mitsubishi just unceremoniously lifted these rear brakes off of another model.
    That's pretty funny. Looks like someone on the assembly line went to the wrong parts bin.

For those who aren't brake nerds, we made an observation last year that drum brakes on Mirages in North America are slightly different than Mirages sold in Europe. The European Mirages use the old-style star wheel adjusters while all others use that strut bar (or whatever it's called)...

Name:  drum.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  93.6 KB

The star wheel adjusters work OK when they are kept clean and lubricated. Even then you need to pull the drums off occasionally to adjust them a click or two of the star wheel. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't have much (if any) lube on them from the factory.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-05-2019)

Cobrajet- do you recall if there was an access hole w/ rubber plug on the backing plate for adjusting the star without puĺling the drums?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Cobrajet- do you recall if there was an access hole w/ rubber plug on the backing plate for adjusting the star without puĺling the drums?
    Yes, there is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-06-2019)

That's just weird, I'm pretty positive the 17's we have use the same rear brake setup as the 15's and don't have the star wheel. I'll take a look next time I have on on the lift.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's just weird, I'm pretty positive the 17's we have use the same rear brake setup as the 15's and don't have the star wheel. I'll take a look next time I have on on the lift.
    I was very surprised to see a completely different setup.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Help please

You want to pull the bearing out? They press out. I might need to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure there's a big snap ring on one side and it presses out that direction. Those bearings aren't cheap, $80 on rockauto and $95 for the front. That's in Canadian Peso's of course. I've been lucky so far and just changed the entire drum with one from a wreck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've been lucky so far and just changed the entire drum with one from a wreck.
    That's what I did when I ruined one of the drums on mine. Aftermarket drums are available now but they come bare. At USD$245, new OEM drums are ungodly expensive but do come complete.

Raybestos now makes rear drums with the bearing installed for cheaper than the bearing itself. At least for a 17' Mirage. Didn't see a listing for 15' though

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-06-2019),Eggman (06-05-2019),Top_Fuel (06-10-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just did brakes on all 4 wheels at 76,000km. (90% highway driving)
    Fronts were in horrible shape with rotors suffering extreme rust damage with high ridges inner and outer edges. There was still a dime's thickness of friction material on thinnest pad. The "tattletales" were not even touching yet so no squeals.
    I was able to purchase premium pads, rotors and rear shoes from Rock auto for $140.00 Can. Shipped to the border 30 min drive from my house.
    The issue that prompted the brake change was a fully locked rear pass side wheel when I tried to leave for work in the morning. The wheel was free when I parked it.
    After a tow to dealer service manager Roy could find no cause for one rear wheel lockup so proceeded to blame me, stating out loud to me directly that "someone" had over adjusted the park brake lever causing the wheel to lock. (On one rear only).
    I said this was not the case but rather the star wheel had over adjusted itself to the point of locking one wheel. Dealer then changed his story to the rear brakes overworking as fronts were worn so over adjust was my fault also. Odd since I had 30,000km previous complained that this wheel would lock up prematurely just b4 coming to full stop when parking. Typical dealer BS. They quoted $680.00 + tax to replace pads, rotors, shoes and clean up rear drums as they were in great shape.
    I refused the work and dealer charged me almost $200.00 for looking at it.
    With that and the cost of parts I bought I still did it myself for half the dealership cost.
    Anyway.. Raybestos and Rock auto believe the 1059PG shoes fit my '17 Mirage..they do not, so I have a set of useless shoes to get rid of as well.
    Am dealing with Raybestos directly about it as Rock Auto accepts no responsibility for the part not fitting.
    All this to say the star wheel adjusters work just fine. Possibly too well. No matter how you drive the stock rotors don't last long.

PS. Rock auto does list rear drums without bearings for my car for $55.00 each.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 06-10-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-10-2019),MetroMPG (06-10-2019)