Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    4 to 5 weeks! Sounds like way too long. Surely they have spare engines in North America?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm getting a ride to the dealer today so I can clean out the Mirage of hats, gloves, masks, and bicycling gear (helmet, lock, air pump, etc.) I will press them on the loaner and the reason for the long wait for a new engine. They say if I continue driving the car I run the risk of being stranded with engine failure.

Honestly, I'm kind of OK with not having a car for awhile. I'm retired (66 y.o.) and though I love taking car trips in the Midwest, I'm pretty much looking forward to walking or bicycling everywhere for awhile. I live in an older Chicago suburb, and am very close to a shopping center, grocery stores, forest preserve, and a wonderful bike trail. The snow is almost all gone, so getting around the neighborhood is EZ. Also, I have lots of friends in the area that can assist in an emergency.

But I am missing my little car, and am optimistic the engine replacement will go well and I can return to my 300-500 miles/week driving routine!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It turns out my 'valve noise' was in fact loose heat shields. Corroded fasteners. The dealer replaced them with stainless steel, on my way in 2 hours,that included some tsb work on the electrical connectors behind the drivers side kick panel...life is good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-13-2023)

^ Mine has that too (rattly shields). But mine also has valvetrain noise when cold.

These past few mild days (around freezing), the ticky ticky has been MUCH less noticeable (quieter, goes away faster) after a cold soak start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

I'm curious as to what engine they'll put in my car? Did they upgrade some things on the replacement engines or are they just tossing in the exact same thing hopping they last longer?

The black car engine is quieter lately. It was a little noisy when I first drove it around a bit, mostly in -30c. I changed the oil a while ago and haven't paid much attention til lately and it's actually pretty quiet with just a slightest hint of knock. Still sounds way better with 284k kms than the white car with 50k km. Will compare the two for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    very lucky, its like a new car again..from 80k to 0.

Got mine back tonight. No more noise. Seems to be a bit more responsive too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You may need to be careful, because the new engine may have those 4 extra horsepower to deal with!

It's great that it was replaced for you! I would be happy about that!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Awsome! So your black Mirage got the new engine or the white one?

White one.

It's like Christmas morning all over again!

Mark: you should have left your post. It was funny.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)