Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Somebody else in the Great White North had to have their engine replaced under warranty as well. IIRC, the problem was the relays were freezing. The car would crank and crank, which scored the cylinder walls.

A bit of an inconvenience, to be sure, but a free motor is a free motor!
    That was Ichabod Crane, if I recall, the white 2014.

They mention 'noise at startup' and 'in rare cases....engine may need to be replaced' in the recall notice. Wonder how many cars got (or have not had) the ECU reflash, and how common is engine replacement?

Just seems strange to me, that a slightly rich condition at cold startup causes such damage.
    Not disagreeing, just not understanding.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My engine was replaced at 26,000 km.
    No noise issues at all. Intermittent failure to start when cold over several months until diagnosed.
    Made a chugging noise but wouldn't catch/fire up.
    Relays were replaced early on but not the cause.
    Final diagnosis was very low compression in one cylinder due to cylinder scoring.
    I was being fed much BS by tech at the time but I was told there was an issue with piston metallurgy as shrinkage in extreme cold allowed piston slap at startup which scored the cylinder walls.
    There were apparently several similar failures in Quebec with same problem.(?)
    Seems to have been an issue only with the earlier models, circa 2014.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-11-2018),tomrad (01-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm, I've also noticed a ticking noise after startup, but it goes away when I disengage the clutch so I don't think it is the engine. Also had the ECU reflash done like a year ago. Secretly hoping it blows before 100k...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is strange. I would definitely get a new clutch as they have to remove it anyway so labor should be free. You just pay for the part.

You may notice that the new engine seems less powerful than the old one was in good working order. It is breaking in. Mine progressively got better fuel economy and more peppy with miles. I could see it using oil on the stick before the first oil change but never had it get below the add mark so just changed it at 3000 miles and never saw it use any oil after that.

Be sure to vary the RPM and engine loads for the first few thousand miles as you drive to break this new engine in right. I doubt this had anything to do with the first engine dying but it is kinda nice to get a new engine at this point in time.

Conor

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    That is strange. I would definitely get a new clutch as they have to remove it anyway so labor should be free. You just pay for the part.

You may notice that the new engine seems less powerful than the old one was in good working order. It is breaking in. Mine progressively got better fuel economy and more peppy with miles. I could see it using oil on the stick before the first oil change but never had it get below the add mark so just changed it at 3000 miles and never saw it use any oil after that.

Be sure to vary the RPM and engine loads for the first few thousand miles as you drive to break this new engine in right. I doubt this had anything to do with the first engine dying but it is kinda nice to get a new engine at this point in time.

Conor
    Good advice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thank all who answered!

The ECU reflash had been done early 2016 I don't know if that could have really messed up the engine but hey it is what it is.

Indeed I will take into consideration all the advice on the new engine. Will definitely see about the clutch maybe I get lucky . Indeed a new engine is always good, just kinda sad to have to replace it at such low milage.(not complaining lol )
    I'll keep you all posted.
    All the best!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkfly600 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-13-2018)

I believe this is the 3rd engine replacement under warranty I've read about in the forum.

Can't remember where I saw the other one, but it was an infrequent member.

Thanks for posting this info, Darkfly600! Please keep us updated how it goes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My engine has made a horrible clattering noise on cold startup for quite some time now. I had the ECU reflash done once I got the letter in the mail to do so. It made NO difference. Still clatters at startup when engine is cold. Doesnt matter if its 30F or 90F out. Only matters on the engine temp. If its been driven in the past hour, no clatter at startup. I'm kinda hoping the engine fails before the 100k mile warranty expires so i can get a new engine.

Compression test would put your mind at ease? Seems to be the red flag of engines that have had to be replaced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    How about an oil analysis at the next oil change?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-22-2018)