Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Folks, I'm currently going through a warranty engine replacement on my 2018 Mirage with 76,000+ miles. Problem was diagnosed and engine ordered on Friday. After the car is repaired, I'll post the full story. I'm pretty bummed but also happy that Mitsubishi is replacing the engine at no cost. I expected to get 150-250k miles out of the ORIGINAL engine....well that's not going to happen now.

Appreciate everyone on here....been a lurker for years. This is my first post.
    Wil B.
    Broadview, IL
    USA

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-28-2021),MetroMPG (02-28-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil B View Post
    Folks, I'm currently going through a warranty engine replacement on my 2018 Mirage with 76,000+ miles. Problem was diagnosed and engine ordered on Friday. After the car is repaired, I'll post the full story. I'm pretty bummed but also happy that Mitsubishi is replacing the engine at no cost. I expected to get 150-250k miles out of the ORIGINAL engine....well that's not going to happen now.

Wil B.
    Broadview, IL
    USA
    Don't blame you for being a bit bummed about the engine needing to be replaced. It's good to hear Mitsubishi is replacing it for free. Apparently, you are the original owner, & it's covered under the 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

We don't hear of to many Mirage owners having to replace 2017+ engines, but there was one recently (Rich's "Mechanic" was having his engine replaced around the 1st of the year). We haven't heard from Rich since that event happened, but I hope your engine replacement goes well!

Sorry that your first post has to be related to an engine replacement. Thanks for sharing now & in the future!

Welcome to the forum!

Mark

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark. This is my second Mirage. I owned a 2015 model that I (unfortunately) totalled. I replaced it with the 2018 model immediately. I love my Mirage.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    There is a How To about reducing cold enrichment further than the ECU software update. I have been using it for years and can recommend it for reducing fuel consumption.

By the way, since it reduces enrichment, it will most surely reduce the risk of engines getting damaged due to oil film getting washed off the cylinder because of too much enrichment.
    In order to make emission standards, the catalytic converters are heated by flooding them with superfluous fuel during warm-up to make them heat up quicker and meet emission standards. Therefore the overly done enrichment.

See thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...n-cold?p=46762
    Last edited by foama; 02-28-2021 at 08:27 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2021)

Wil B.
    Broadview, IL
    USA
    What problem were you having with it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dealer diagnosis is the ticking or knocking noise is due to cylinder scoring as a result of too much fuel. Same as on the TSB for 2014-2015 Mirages. I was unaware that this could still be a problem on 2018 and up models!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE: Dealer says 4-5 weeks estimate for Mitsubishi to deliver the new engine to the dealer. This is all I know so far, so it'll be awhile before I have more updates.
    Wil B.

Holy sit, dealer told me about 2 weeks til mine is finished. Engine about a week away and might take up to a week to get it in and all the bolts cross-threaded properly. Because covids?

I thought that knock fixed in the 17's too. Guess not.

I was pretty hesitant to even take mine to the dealer to try for a new engine. If they said no cause I'm missing the first 5 or so oil change records I would have been out a lot of beer money. Besides, I had only ****ty experiences with one of the local Mitsu dealers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well this dealer has always treated me well. This is the 2nd Mirage I've purchased from them and most of the services have been done by them (they put out a LOT of coupons.) I'm not helpless, but it's tough for me to do things that require bending over since a stroke in 2016.

I'm going back to see them tomorrow and question the 4-5 week timetable. Perhaps that's just a worse-case scenario. And that's just until they receive the engine. Could be someone else has scarfed up the only extra engine in North America???!!! Hahaha.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Well this dealer has always treated me well. This is the 2nd Mirage I've purchased from them and most of the services have been done by them (they put out a LOT of coupons.) I'm not helpless, but it's tough for me to do things that require bending over since a stroke in 2016.

I'm going back to see them tomorrow and question the 4-5 week timetable. Perhaps that's just a worse-case scenario. And that's just until they receive the engine. Could be someone else has scarfed up the only extra engine in North America???!!! Hahaha.....
    It's nice that you have confidence in your dealership. I would feel good that they are replacing the engine even if it requires some patience on your part. I would blame Fummins for taking the last extra engine in North American, too!

If your Mirage is still functional in the meantime, I wouldn't sweat it. I would, however, request a free loaner vehicle while it's in their shop.

My 2011 Forester sat at the dealership for 6-weeks (waiting for a free short block replacement), and then they had to pull the new engine out a couple months later to fix an oil leak caused from the first repair. It sat there for another 5-weeks. During those 11-weeks, I had a free loaner vehicle with less than 3,000 miles on it. I did't complain because everything was done for free, & I wanted it done right. I didn't understand their logic of making an appointment & then your vehicle sits in their parking lot for several weeks?

Since you use them to service your Mirage most of the time, they should take good care of you! Hope it goes well!