Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE: New engine for 2018 Mirage.
    Got an update from the dealer that they are still a month+ away from receiving the new engine. I guess it's sitting on a slow boat in the Suez Canal!
    I really think the problem is that I have a 2018 model with the updated(2017) engine, and there is not enough claims on the newer engine (yet) to keep them in the parts pipeline. I could be wrong about this, but I'm not aware of 2017 engine replacements. Maybe one on this forum?
    Anyhow, yesterday I pulled out my Kymco 175cc scooter that has been parked since my stroke in 2016. I charged up the battery and the sucker started right up! God bless fuel injection. Took it for a long ride....drives like new. Anyway it's good to have transportation again even if it's limited to 55-65mph and weather dependent!

Wow, that sucks. I'd ask for a loaner. 2 wheels isn't really an option here yet. I haven't heard of a 2017 or newer failure yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE: Still waiting for new engine (warranty repair) for my 2018 Mirage. It's been 10 weeks since the problem was diagnosed and new engine ordered by the dealer. I've been dealing with Mitsubishi USA lately on this and now they're giving me a new date in July as to when the engine is due to arrive at their U.S. parts distribution center. After that, it's just a few days to get the engine to the dealer. Yes, JULY!!

Anyone that follows the news lately knows the problems most car makers are having getting parts, and that many distribution systems have been disrupted due to the effects of Covid. Especially when getting parts from a foreign country. I can only conclude that my replacement engine hasn't been built yet, so here I sit waiting. I imagine in a normal non-pandemic year, I would get the engine in 2-3 weeks.

Mitsubishi is going to try to get me some kind of loaner car and I should hear from them middle of next week. I have a 'case' number and a contact there who is working on this. I'm not optimistic, though. I've already got an appointment with my lawyer next week to discuss the situation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE: NEW ENGINE FOR 2018 MIRAGE 75,000 MILES

Well I picked up my car today with the new engine installed. It only took 3+ months to get here. I'm happy they got this done, they had told me to expect the engine around the middle of July! I feel I was treated fairly by the dealer (Max Madsen - Aurora, IL) and Mitsubishi. The last 4-5 weeks I've been driving 2020 Passat rental car paid for by Mitsubishi so things have been rather painless. I'm still dismayed about the engine failure, but the end result is good and I hope to get 100-200k more out of this car!

Note: When driving borrowed cars from my friends, or the rental Passat, I forgot just how much fun the Mirage is to drive! Even with 75k miles, the ride is good, the steering tight, and I like the experience much more than the $30-40,000 sedans I was driving. Even the controls are simpler and much more intuitive than the big cars. It all reminds me of the reasons I bought the Mirage in the first place.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

daleWV (06-08-2021),Fummins (06-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil B View Post
    UPDATE: NEW ENGINE FOR 2018 MIRAGE 75,000 MILES

Well I picked up my car today with the new engine installed. It only took 3+ months to get here. I'm happy they got this done, they had told me to expect the engine around the middle of July! I feel I was treated fairly by the dealer (Max Madsen - Aurora, IL) and Mitsubishi. The last 4-5 weeks I've been driving 2020 Passat rental car paid for by Mitsubishi so things have been rather painless. I'm still dismayed about the engine failure, but the end result is good and I hope to get 100-200k more out of this car!

Note: When driving borrowed cars from my friends, or the rental Passat, I forgot just how much fun the Mirage is to drive! Even with 75k miles, the ride is good, the steering tight, and I like the experience much more than the $30-40,000 sedans I was driving. Even the controls are simpler and much more intuitive than the big cars. It all reminds me of the reasons I bought the Mirage in the first place.
    Glad to hear it's all done! Hopefully, your Mirage will serve you well for a long time now.

I've heard good things about Max Madsen Mitsubishi in the past. They are 213 miles from my home in one direction, & White Bear is 221 miles in the other direction. If I had serious warranty work needed to be done, I would consider going that distance. Lack of good dealerships is my biggest knock on Mitsubishi. My hope is to go way beyond warranty with my Mirage, but it's nice to have the warranty in case something happens (like in your situation).

It's sort of funny to hear you say you like a Mirage over a $30,000+ sedan, but I can relate to that, too!

Thanks for the update!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My wife and I both bought new Mirages from Max Madsen. I miss their old dealer that was there since the 80's but they closed that one.

He's mad he's bad but you'll be glad when you meet mad Max Madsen! I still have that damn commercial stuck in my head since I was a kid.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Wil B (09-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought both Mirages (2015,2018) at the Max Madsen in Downers Grove which they closed a couple of years ago. Now they are down to just the one dealer in Naperville/Aurora. They have almost NO CARS in the lots - used or new! I'm not sure how they're surviving.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the Downers Grove one was the best! It was old and cool. The new one in Aurora is too fancy.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...