Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Coroplast grill block

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Even with the grill block, coolant temps won't get above 220F as that is when the fan turns on. I wouldn't worry about trans temps.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-09-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Protect your transmission in what way - operating temperature?
    Yeah, just don't want to cook that. My OBD reader doesn't give me trans temp, but it does give coolant temp. I figured if they made the car from factory with more venting for the cvt, it might be necessary to consider it with a full grille block. That being said, they also sold this car in the philippines, where it gets a BIT warmer than here. Ha!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    That's a good point. Did you know your CVT has a heat exchanger that uses engine coolant? I think they are supposed to run as hot as the engine, so I'm not sure what operating temperature you are going for.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not sure what operating temperature you are going for.
    Whatever is primarily 'safe' and secondly 'efficient'

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Whatever is primarily 'safe' and secondly 'efficient'
    That would correspond with normal engine operating temperatures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just wanted to post an update on this mod. Its still in place and doing a wonderful job a year later. I could probably tighten up the zip ties a little, but other than that it is great.

I really love how well this mod works to warm the car up faster, and keep the engine warm. It allows me to get heat out of the vents a lot quicker, and that is pretty nice when its 10F out. Combine this with the 3d printed upper grill block, and you really get faster warm up and heat.

I really love these cold weather / aeromods.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Cold winter weather here means I'm now running a 100% grille block on my winter beater Metro. The cooling fan rarely if ever comes on. I have a couple of sections I can quicly remove if I need to (without tools).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think there is one more area that could use some attention. There is a pretty good gap between the hood and the upper radiator support / front bumper cover. There is also no weather stripping installed there, so its literally just a big gap. Maybe I'll swing by the local big box store tonight and see if they have any thick weather stripping I can stick on there. I bet a decent amount of air gets in the engine bay via that area. That should improve aerodynamics, WAI temperatures, as well as warm up times.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Have done it like this for years:

Before summer, or when it starts getting above 20°C ( 70°F?) the part of the grill that Mitsubishi left open, gets blocked 3/4, thus only 1/4 open. The letterbox remains open. I leave it that way for months.

Before winter when folks start putting on warmer clothing again, the lower grill is blocked 100%, only the letterbox remains open. I leave it like that until next summer.

This is rather conservative. It could be blocked more, but this way the fan virtually never turns on, only rare exception being when traffic stops for longer periods during congestion.
    Last edited by foama; 01-11-2019 at 03:18 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-11-2019),poorman1 (01-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I think there is one more area that could use some attention. There is a pretty good gap between the hood and the upper radiator support / front bumper cover. There is also no weather stripping installed there, so its literally just a big gap. Maybe I'll swing by the local big box store tonight and see if they have any thick weather stripping I can stick on there. I bet a decent amount of air gets in the engine bay via that area. That should improve aerodynamics, WAI temperatures, as well as warm up times.
    I've been trying to think on how to fix this, also

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-13-2019)