Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Radio grounding?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts

    Radio grounding?

    Even after I got the antenna from Alex1a1f (thank you again) my Display Audio (SDA) System has lots of static. Is there way I can ground it to eliminate the static line noise?


    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)


  2. #2
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanks
    2,666
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 838 Posts
    What other electronics do you have running - phone, GPS, camera & power supply? Is this interference on all radio frequencies or only certain ones? Which band - AM or FM?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What other electronics do you have running - phone, GPS, camera & power supply? Is this interference on all radio frequencies or only certain ones? Which band - AM or FM?
    I have a car power adapter like this one:

    https://www.amazon.com/Importer520-D...mp+and+2.1+amp

    I run the phone on the 2.1 amps and 1.0 amps is the GPS. it does whine in some areas but even being out the distortion is awful. The line noise happens usually under power lines.
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)


  4. #4
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanks
    2,666
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 838 Posts
    Wow I'm at a loss. Without listening to the noise, I'm really limited in figuring out what might be the cause. These can be tough problems to figure out, and I usually begin by eliminating the other electronics that were added over time.

    My radio is fairly quiet, though I don't listen to it much.

    That being said, I have noticed some interference being picked up by my radio. It sounds like some form of digital communications, and I can hear it plainly when I tune in to 91.9 FM. I wonder if it is something particular to the Mirage and if everyone else gets it too.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Wow I'm at a loss. Without listening to the noise, I'm really limited in figuring out what might be the cause. These can be tough problems to figure out, and I usually begin by eliminating the other electronics that were added over time.

    My radio is fairly quiet, though I don't listen to it much.

    That being said, I have noticed some interference being picked up by my radio. It sounds like some form of digital communications, and I can hear it plainly when I tune in to 91.9 FM. I wonder if it is something particular to the Mirage and if everyone else gets it too.
    You were right to call it interference or low reception like sound. Its odd since stay in the background even if I am close to the station. In FM is less pronounced but in AM gets quite distorted.
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)


  6. #6
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanks
    2,666
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 838 Posts
    That sounds like power line interference but again, it's hard to tell without hearing it.

    Tonight I scanned my FM radio range and I heard my interference on several frequencies with no broadcasting stations.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That sounds like power line interference but again, it's hard to tell without hearing it.

    Tonight I scanned my FM radio range and I heard my interference on several frequencies with no broadcasting stations.
    This is the noise!

    http://www.filedropper.com/soundreco...01-17-20-05-03
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)


  8. #8
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanks
    2,666
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 838 Posts
    Yeah, that's not power line noise. That would sound like a low-frequency (60hz) hum. The static you recorded is different, it sounds like something arcing. I presume you were driving around? It didn't sound like the noise changed with engine RPM, so I doubt it's anything from your motor.

    Has your city installed new street lighting? Pay attention to see if some lights are a different style/design or have a different color. Are you using HID headlamps in your Mirage?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)


  9. #9
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanks
    2,666
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 838 Posts
    Here's some more to think about. I'm guessing your recording was from the AM band. AM is much more susceptible to noise than FM. Read more about it here:

    Wikipedia: Frequency modulation

    Also if the interference source is from your Mirage the noise would be constant on whatever frequency you hear it on. If the noise varies in intensity as you drive around it's not likely to be from your car.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Here's some more to think about. I'm guessing your recording was from the AM band. AM is much more susceptible to noise than FM. Read more about it here:

    Wikipedia: Frequency modulation

    Also if the interference source is from your Mirage the noise would be constant on whatever frequency you hear it on. If the noise varies in intensity as you drive around it's not likely to be from your car.
    The noise is worst under bridges and closer I get to power lines!


    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •