Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Registering a new key in Canada

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It looks like etacsdecoder does not work with keys...

https://etacsdecoder.com/forum/showt...d=6804#pid6804

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I'm gonna take a third try at registering a used key in a 2017 Mirage.... All our cars(except the newest 23' gt) have keyless entry and regular metal key(non-push button start).

Work bought a used 2017 Mirage that only came with one key. I want to see if I can program a key without being forced to visit a dealer. I don't want to brick a good car and end up having to tow it so I'm playing around with a written-off 2017 Mirage that still runs and has(had) 2 working keys. I unscrewed the transponder reader ring so I can leave the key that is cut to the car in the ignition and turned to run and move the ring over the non-registered key. Basically what I'm trying to do is register a key from a different car to this wrecked car and make it start the car and hopefully have the keyless entry work(seems to be 2 different procedures).

I tried fiddling with the keys a little while ago and got as far as deleting the 2 working keys keyless entry function from the car and I somehow got it to work with the "new"(used) key that I was attempting to program. And now none of the keyless entry works with the car...
    As far as registering the key/transponder to the car so it'll start....I didn't get far cause I kept getting prompted for a password. Aparently this is some top secret thing that I couldn't get an answer for on the forum so I looked elsewhere.

Yesterday I went back out to try again... I made it past the password screen, got into the register key menu but when I tried to register the "new/used" key it said something like incorrect key type. So that's kinda where I left off. So, as of now I still have the 2 orginal working keys that will start the car still but none of the keyless entry functions work on any of the keys I've tried. I tried doing via a different menu(I can't remember which) and it said conditions not met.

All of the keys are from 2017 Mirages and look identical.

I'll have to look into how the procedure a bit more on how to register a key properly and maybe try the way that's in the manual for US cars only.
    Reading is hard and so far I've just been winging it and getting nowhere. I do have the magical password now so hopefully, I'll get this figured by the end of the day one way or another.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm gonna take a third try at registering a used key in a 2017 Mirage.... All our cars(except the newest 23' gt) have keyless entry and regular metal key(non-push button start).

Work bought a used 2017 Mirage that only came with one key. I want to see if I can program a key without being forced to visit a dealer. I don't want to brick a good car and end up having to tow it so I'm playing around with a written-off 2017 Mirage that still runs and has(had) 2 working keys. I unscrewed the transponder reader ring so I can leave the key that is cut to the car in the ignition and turned to run and move the ring over the non-registered key. Basically what I'm trying to do is register a key from a different car to this wrecked car and make it start the car and hopefully have the keyless entry work(seems to be 2 different procedures).

I tried fiddling with the keys a little while ago and got as far as deleting the 2 working keys keyless entry function from the car and I somehow got it to work with the "new"(used) key that I was attempting to program. And now none of the keyless entry works with the car...
    As far as registering the key/transponder to the car so it'll start....I didn't get far cause I kept getting prompted for a password. Aparently this is some top secret thing that I couldn't get an answer for on the forum so I looked elsewhere.

Yesterday I went back out to try again... I made it past the password screen, got into the register key menu but when I tried to register the "new/used" key it said something like incorrect key type. So that's kinda where I left off. So, as of now I still have the 2 orginal working keys that will start the car still but none of the keyless entry functions work on any of the keys I've tried. I tried doing via a different menu(I can't remember which) and it said conditions not met.

All of the keys are from 2017 Mirages and look identical.

I'll have to look into how the procedure a bit more on how to register a key properly and maybe try the way that's in the manual for US cars only.
    Reading is hard and so far I've just been winging it and getting nowhere. I do have the magical password now so hopefully, I'll get this figured by the end of the day one way or another.
    How did you get the password? Dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    How did you get the password? Dealer?
    Google. 0A11 I found another one but it didn't work for me 62B3
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-14-2023)

I think I'm very very slowly getting somewhere....I opened up the 2 original keys for this wrecked 17' mirage. All of the id numbers(on the fob/transponder) are identical. I opened up every single 2017 Mirage key I have laying around(9) and found 2 which were cut differently but had matching id numbers and all the rest had different numbers. I opened up the key from the car that was bought with only one key...the numbers all match the ones from the wreck that I've been fiddling with...

So now dare I try to register one of the key fobs from the wreck to the good car or register the good car key to the wreck? I just didn't want to chance bricking the car but I don't want to magically program the key to only work on wrecked car. Not sure if either is possible?
    Mirage videos:

Ok, I give up. For today. I tried programming both of these key heads into the good car with no luck. When trying to register a key it says wrong key type or something like that and when I try to "program additional key" I get a "conditions not met" message.
    Mirage videos:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-15-2023)

I give up for good this time. I went back out to the wreck and one of the original keys wouldn't start the car. I played with the key registration menu and followed the instructions for the two original keys and got the one dead one to start the car again. But when I attempted to do the same with the fob/head/transponder with all matching numbers(from the car I have in the shop), I'd get the same "The key couldn't be registered because the key was wrong type" error message. I can't figure that one out.

I managed to get one the keyless entry fobs to work again. But was only able to get more than one work at a time for some reason. I'm thinking my scan tool just isn't capable of doing this kinda thing, or I'm just not doing something right? Either way, I'm gonna farm this out.

I might look into key cloning instead, like tpms sensors. Sounds simpler in this case. I've been able to program keys for nissans but keep hitting a wall with these cars. I think others have had issues finding someone other than a dealer to program a key for their Mirage as well.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I give up for good this time. I went back out to the wreck and one of the original keys wouldn't start the car. I played with the key registration menu and followed the instructions for the two original keys and got the one dead one to start the car again. But when I attempted to do the same with the fob/head/transponder with all matching numbers(from the car I have in the shop), I'd get the same "The key couldn't be registered because the key was wrong type" error message. I can't figure that one out.

I managed to get one the keyless entry fobs to work again. But was only able to get more than one work at a time for some reason. I'm thinking my scan tool just isn't capable of doing this kinda thing, or I'm just not doing something right? Either way, I'm gonna farm this out.

I might look into key cloning instead, like tpms sensors. Sounds simpler in this case. I've been able to program keys for nissans but keep hitting a wall with these cars. I think others have had issues finding someone other than a dealer to program a key for their Mirage as well.
    I got my locksmith to sell me and program a third key successfully. It was expensive though, and I did have 2 originals with me, so not exactly the same as your situation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    I got my locksmith to sell me and program a third key successfully. It was expensive though, and I did have 2 originals with me, so not exactly the same as your situation.
    I tried this with 2 different cars. 1 has 2 original keys and the other only had one. Just for sharts I was gonna try the US-only do-it-yourself method for adding a 3rd key but the immobilizer light never turns on.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have to wonder if an ECU swap to an American unit is the answer for those of us that want more working keys.

I have my 2017 with 2 factory keys,
    I have my 2014 with 2 factory keys.
    I have the 2014 factory key (my 1st Mirage, wrecked)
    I have new 2014 blank from EBAY
    I have oid 2014 blank previously registered to a 2014 (I cannot fathom where I got this key from??? Mystery)

I have tried to no avail to use the American method to program a key based on 2 existing keys (I tried both extra 2014 keys)
    I disassembled all my extras and taped them to the column while inserting the factory keys and trying something from Utube
    I tried putting the CPU part into the keys that are cut for a specific car.

I have no ETACS cable and am too cheap tp drop the $50 it now seems to cost. (weren't they $20 4 years ago?)

I'm looking into buying a programmer that a locksmith would use and selling it off if afterwards if it works

Failing all this I'll call around to smiths first to get a quote for a bulk job, programming my 2 spares, 1 for the 2014 & 1 for the 2017. On 2nd thought maybe I'll only get a key working for the 2017 so my kid has 2 and I always have a spare. Then if/when another Mirage lands with my I still have a key a smith/dealer can program.

Why Mits made the whole key thing so obtuse is beyond me. There's no legislation I know of that demands keys can't easily be end user programmed or forces the services of pros.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)