Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Registering a new key in Canada

Ended up ordering this key from amazon (affiliate link-click and buy something so I make moneys)
    https://amzn.to/400m68A
    Plan is to get dealer to program it. Hopefully. They wanted $200 for a new key and $80 to program it if we already had one working one that they could clone. I'll keep you posted how this works out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

We called a locksmith that has been used in the past to program keys for other vehicles to see if they could program the 17' Mirage key and they didn't think they could do it. So I'm stuck taking it to the nearby Mits dealer.

It's always such a painful experience. I'd rather put my head through a windshield or learn French.

I have a feeling they're not going to say they can't program an aftermarket key.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Ended up ordering this key from amazon (affiliate link-click and buy something so I make moneys)
    https://amzn.to/400m68A
    Plan is to get dealer to program it. Hopefully. They wanted $200 for a new key and $80 to program it if we already had one working one that they could clone. I'll keep you posted how this works out.
    When you buy a new vehicle in Canada that comes with two sets of keys, does it also come with a metal tag with a number stamped on it?

I was led to believe a dealer could make a duplicate key from that number alone. I would assume the key number could be looked up by them by using the VIN #, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When you buy a new vehicle in Canada that comes with two sets of keys, does it also come with a metal tag with a number stamped on it?

I was led to believe a dealer could make a duplicate key from that number alone. I would assume the key number could be looked up by them by using the VIN #, too?
    Yeah, the Mirages did come with a tag that has a 5 digit "code" on it. I assume the same, it's just used to cut the key, a lock smith could probably cut a key with the same code. Regardless, I don't need a key cut that way cause we already have one working key. I just need a second key made before this one car is put into use. Key's go missing now and then, one got flushed down the toilet...

I've had keys cut by vin before, the dealer usually requires proof of ownership before doing that. It can be a pita when it's a company car and you don't have a business card...

Just for ****'s I tried to program a third key(on a car that had 2 working keys)using the US only procedure but realized we don't have an immobilizer light that flashes. I swore there was one(maybe the 2015's?) but I guess not. So I guess we can't do-it-yourself program a third key up here like you guys.

Things are going as planned. Dealer called yesterday and warned that they probably can't program aftermarket keys...I said try it anyways we already bought the key and they have the key...They said they'd have it done and ready to pickup by 5pm. I told them I'd pick it up first thing in the morning.

Now they called back and said they cut the new key and it opens the doors manually(I would have expected it to unless they effed up the key somehow) but that's it....They'll sell us a new key for $200+ then $10 to cut it and $80 to program it. I think this amazon key cost $70. So now to get a key made, after wasting time with the amazon key, is gonna end up costing close to $600 if we go with a dealer key. One thing I'm not sure of is if the dealer is trying to clone the key or actually register the new amazon key to the car? I dunno if cloning is possible but they mentioned that's what they planned to do from what I heard second hand...

Has anyone else ran into this or had sucess having a dealer program an aftermarket key for these? Me think the dealer just isn't really trying.

I'm gonna pick the car up and see if I can I can brick the car.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-28-2023 at 03:15 PM.

And....There's another 2017 Mirage(one that I don't maintain) in another city that was sent the exact same amazon key the other day. They called the dealer there and asked if they were able to program aftermarket keys and they said no problem. That car goes in tomorrow and I'll be sure to post how that works out in the next day or two.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And....There's another 2017 Mirage(one that I don't maintain) in another city that was sent the exact same amazon key the other day. They called the dealer there and asked if they were able to program aftermarket keys and they said no problem. That car goes in tomorrow and I'll be sure to post how that works out in the next day or two.
    I'm beginning to think swapping the ECU for a US model is the easiest route to get extra keys programed. I wonder then if you switched the ECU back to a Canadian one if everything would be OK? Unknown right now is if the ECU is tied to other parts of the car which may have serial #'s or other identifying tags.

ETA. I think if the Amazon/Ebay keys are all worthless they would have been pulled from the market years ago. Word would certainly get out regarding them.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

When I picked the car up yesterday they were pulling a newer Outlander into the shop that sounded like the cat was stolen. The Tech was sitting outside the bay door trying to do a brake stand with it while one of his equally brilliant co-workers cheered him on. SMFH

I brought the car back and tried to program this amazon key with no luck. I verified it does put out a 315mhz signal though...All I accomplished was erasing the working key so the keyless entry didn't work, then got it to work again. When tried registering the new key I got a "wrong key type" message. I tried the register additional key and got a "conditions not met" message.

So we just got word that the other out-of-town dealership did successfully program the exact same key for our other 2017 Mirage and it's ready to go.

We called a decent locksmith before trying the dealer and they didn't sound confident they're able to make this happen. I'm now wondering if this new key we got is blank, like some tpms sensors and the key itself has to be programmed first? Or maybe it's possible to even clone the original key? I dunno...So now gonna try a lock smith or try one of the other dealers in town or....Drive 7 hrs roundtrip to the dealer that programmed a key for our other car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    When I picked the car up yesterday they were pulling a newer Outlander into the shop that sounded like the cat was stolen. The Tech was sitting outside the bay door trying to do a brake stand with it while one of his equally brilliant co-workers cheered him on. SMFH

I brought the car back and tried to program this amazon key with no luck. I verified it does put out a 315mhz signal though...All I accomplished was erasing the working key so the keyless entry didn't work, then got it to work again. When tried registering the new key I got a "wrong key type" message. I tried the register additional key and got a "conditions not met" message.

So we just got word that the other out-of-town dealership did successfully program the exact same key for our other 2017 Mirage and it's ready to go.

We called a decent locksmith before trying the dealer and they didn't sound confident they're able to make this happen. I'm now wondering if this new key we got is blank, like some tpms sensors and the key itself has to be programmed first? Or maybe it's possible to even clone the original key? I dunno...So now gonna try a lock smith or try one of the other dealers in town or....Drive 7 hrs roundtrip to the dealer that programmed a key for our other car.
    Just a stab in the dark, but maybe you tried something like this already? He's doing an older model Mitsubishi, but it may be worth a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323BEgNad5M

I did try that too. I just found this procedure for an oulander that I'm gonna try soon.https://northcoastkeyless.com/2017-m...-instructions/
    It's funny, there's been a lot of late model Land rover and dodge truck thefts lately. Good luck stealing a Mirage, at least the non-keyless type.

The immobilizer in these things is weird. When I put the non-programmed key in and try to start it, it will crank for a second on the first try and kinda run. On the second try it cranks for a shorter time then on the third or 4th just won't even crank. The wreck that I was playing with a little while ago actually did crank and start up and stay running with a non-programmed key. It might have been a fluke or the oem key may have been close enough to the transponder reader thing that it used it to start???Cant say for sure.
    I tried jumping the starter relay on a different car to see if the imobilizer just cuts the starter circuit but it wouldn't crank, so I was either jumping the wrong relay or it cut power down the line of the relay? I'm gonna bring this car in, put the non programmed key in, turn it to run and jump the starter directly to see if it'll start. I don't think it will but you never know...Unless you look at a wiring diagram?

Last edited by Fummins; 03-30-2023 at 01:26 PM.