Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: put on an Accent?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

put on an Accent?

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/accent

After seing this I am starting to get intrigued. Always like the ride of the Accents but this one seems to have all I want.

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/accent

After seing this I am starting to get intrigued. Always like the ride of the Accents but this one seems to have all I want.
    It's always interesting how the automotive press phrases it's reviews of vehicles and the influence those reviews carry.

It seems to me that Hyundai spends more money on advertising than Mitsubishi, and I sometimes wonder if that plays in to the reviews of the automotive press. For example, compare the reviews of the Mirage from Car & Driver (and other such outlets) to Mirage owner reviews - there's a stark difference.

Question for you remusrm - do you think the Accent will have better reliability than the Mirage? The warranty seems to say it will at least match it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sometimes a company needs to increase their warranty to restore consumer confidence.

My family has owned several Hyundai and without fail, all have become unreliable sometime after the 3rd year. Surprise! Just after the factory warranty expired. I know I wouldn't buy a Hyundai without a 10yr/160km powertrain but I'd insist on 5yr/160km comprehensive also. Two Hyundai we owned had AC compressors go out and they are very expensive and would not be covered under the powertrain.

Also, for some weird reason in Canada I can't build or spec a 2018 Accent? Huh? I can only spec a 2017 L model, no AC (no way), no power anything, 6 spd. Ok, the 6 spd would be cool. Otherwise at $14,000 it's way way overpriced.

Good luck to you if you buy one. You're at least getting tons of goodies in the US model for a good price.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Makes no sense to buy Hyundai in Canada.
    We only get half the warranty of US buyers @ 5yr/100,00km.
    To match the options on my Mirage price is ridiculous.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Sometimes a company needs to increase their warranty to restore consumer confidence.

My family has owned several Hyundai and without fail, all have become unreliable sometime after the 3rd year. Surprise! Just after the factory warranty expired. I know I wouldn't buy a Hyundai without a 10yr/160km powertrain but I'd insist on 5yr/160km comprehensive also. Two Hyundai we owned had AC compressors go out and they are very expensive and would not be covered under the powertrain.
    I feel the same about Kia's. When I worked at a wrecker we were buying 3-5 year old oil burning kia's for a few hundred dollars cause they were worn out and not worth fixing. They're a lot better now, but I don't see them going 5-10 years or over 250k kms without a major expensive failure of some kind. Hell, the gf's 15' optima needs a cv axle at 40k kms. Dealer want's $800 for an axle! Thankfully the stealership is going to warranty it. Cars are built disposable nowadays. (Somehow with the Mirage being an exception)
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-23-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's always interesting how the automotive press phrases it's reviews of vehicles and the influence those reviews carry.
    Agreed. Maybe it's me but it reads almost like an advertisement. This review reads differently than other reviews I've seen. The author is not harsh or subjective. It's literally an article praising the Accent.

Not bashing Hyundai but the review itself is biased compared to others. Unless, the Accent is that good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The car I had before the Mirage was a 2008 Elantra. I had it 9yrs and put 64k on it.
    I had issues with the rear calipers dragging on the rotors twice and also had to do the AC condenser. Also needed sway bar end links. Those were the main things. Also a battery. Car had all orig brakes and only 1 fog light went out. Overall a very good car.
    The condenser was about 120.00 at auto parts store.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had a few Hyundais.
    2000 Accent 1.6l Auto.. bought with 22k sold at 225k. Replaced tranny at 190k and Drivers CV Axle at 165k. Otherwise nothing else besides maintenance.
    2003 Elantra GT Wagon.. still my favorite car of all time. Bought it with 12k on it and sold it to my Dad with just over 200k on it. I only replaced both CV Axles and both end links on the rear sway bay. It now has 340k and Dad thinks he's going to swap the tranny.
    2009 Elantra Touring Wagon... bought with 7k sold at 66k. Fuel pressure regulator on end of fuel injector rail. Nothing else.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one ever.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Cars are built disposable nowadays. (Somehow with the Mirage being an exception)
    It is strange, the Mirage is looking more like the Beetle every day. Tough, reliable, repairable in most cases and so cheap most people would assume for $10k it has to be a throwaway How wrong they are, and there's nearly 5 years of solid proof backing that.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was just impressed with the power, good mpg and being a tad better equiped.

mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)