Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the longest you've owned a car? How long do you plan to keep your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    (and can be worse when next to steel - something about dissimilar metals and galvanic something . . .)
    Very true. When we do brake jobs on Semi-tucks and trailers, we put a feltish-teflonish or thin-plastic gasket between the aluminum rim/wheel and iron brake drum. The chemical reaction between the two if they are in contact is impressive. I have seen aluminum rims corrode and structurally fail because of this reaction. We use the same type of gaskets when replacing steel cross members on trailer floors that may contact aluminium floor or side rails.

(blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, I've had my '00 Metro for almost 5 years now, and counting. Our anniversary is April 11, 2013. Time flies when you're having fun! I intend on keeping my Mirage as long as possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, alexalex!

Which Mirage model did you get? Don't forget to make a garage page:
    Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Owned? Or driven? 1966 Mustang, in family since 1972. But driven most would be '99 F150, got almost 200k on it, bought it new. I keep cars 20+ years whenever possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got my Mitsubishi Endeavor 2004 new off the lot in September 2003. I take it for a spin every now and then, part of me wants to keep it forever.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tend to switch cars alot, the Mirage is one of those that I hope to keep at-least through the payment period.

My sister's Mirage is working on 3 years...longest she's ever had a car.

The longest term I ever owned a vehicle was 3 years; a Gold 1985 S-10 Blazer which I purchased almost non running and repaired/restored back into a decent daily/cars and coffee vehicle. I miss it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So far the longest I've had a car is 4 years, 11 months (My Scion iQ). Considering my first car was a 3 year lease, and the iQ was my second car, I don't have much of track record.

My Mirage is the first car I bought new, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’ve owned the Delorean for ten years. I’m 36 years old and plan to own it at least another 30 to 40 years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_0884.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  96.4 KB
    Lol, not a car but my longest ownership..
    Bought her as a rolling basket case in 2000...
    my mirage is my first new car, plan to keep her at least 6 years.. then my boy turns 16... if they still make them then... well I might have to buy another one... if not well.. guess we will have to share lol..
    either way plan on owning her for quite some time..
    until salt do us part....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    As I have gotten older, I have learned to be more content with what I already have. Vehicles are money pits & surely not investments. I hope to keep my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) for 10+ years. Having said that, the Mirage can't do everything that I need a vehicle to do. AWD/4WD vehicles have become more expensive to replace. One of the main reasons that I bought a Mirage was to extend the life of my 2011 Subaru Forester. I don't want to replace either vehicle any time soon. My Forester has two sets of wheels (one set being newer snow tires). I have the bars & attachments to haul kayaks, & I use my tow hitch/small trailer a lot. Now that Subaru replaced the short block of my Forester's engine for free last fall, I feel this vehicle @ 91,500 miles has a lot of life left in it. Not using the Forester as my daily driver (thanks to my Mirage) should make this vehicle last me a long time.

I am very content with what I presently have. Since Subaru has dropped the manual transmissions in 2019, I wouldn't be buying another Forester anyways. Quite frankly, there isn't anything out there that I like better than what I have. Paid off vehicles are great!

My first 4WD vehicle was a 1988 Isuzu Trooper (5 speed manual). I bought a demo model that was sold as a new vehicle with a couple thousand miles on it for $13,500. Basic, affordable, 4WD vehicles like the Trooper are long gone. Outside of some Jeep offerings, you can't buy a manual 4WD vehicle today. Thus, I don't see myself replacing what I have any time soon!