Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the longest you've owned a car? How long do you plan to keep your Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    24 years, I still own it. My 1995 Tacoma has had most of the seals replaced (by me) over the years and a new floor done in stages but it's a solid basic 4wd that meets my needs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    24 years, I still own it. My 1995 Tacoma has had most of the seals replaced (by me) over the years and a new floor done in stages but it's a solid basic 4wd that meets my needs.
    Impressive run with your Tacoma, strawboss. I've heard Toyota trucks are among the most reliable.

<Mark I have been trying to research this, but I feel FIAT is globally a bigger company than Chrysler.

But in N. America their sales struggle (or have left entirely) for a company that makes 1.5 million cars a year.

In 2018 I don't think Jeep/Chrysler made 1.5 million vehicles. Though they still have at least 1 factory in Ontario, so I get they are a big player in the midwest, and Fiat isn't, that is for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

strawboss (09-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Impressive run with your Tacoma, strawboss. I've heard Toyota trucks are among the most reliable.

<Mark I have been trying to research this, but I feel FIAT is globally a bigger company than Chrysler.

But in N. America their sales struggle (or have left entirely) for a company that makes 1.5 million cars a year.

In 2018 I don't think Jeep/Chrysler made 1.5 million vehicles. Though they still have at least 1 factory in Ontario, so I get they are a big player in the midwest, and Fiat isn't, that is for sure.
    Fiat's U.S. vehicle sales have plummeted 66% over the last four years to 15,521 in 2018. Fiat merged with Chrysler/Jeep to have a presence in the U.S. I wouldn't argue about who is bigger. The Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep merger has done very little to improve the image of Chrysler & Jeep products in the U.S.

American's love for large pickup, & devoted Jeep customers has kept Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep going in the U.S. 536,980 Dodge Ram trucks were purchased in 2018.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (09-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Fiat's U.S. vehicle sales have plummeted 66% over the last four years to 15,521 in 2018. Fiat merged with Chrysler/Jeep to have a presence in the U.S. I wouldn't argue about who is bigger. The Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep merger has done very little to improve the image of Chrysler & Jeep products in the U.S.

American's love for large pickup, & devoted Jeep customers has kept Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep going in the U.S. 536,980 Dodge Ram trucks were purchased in 2018.
    Yea Jeeps and Dodge trucks sell well for sure. Fiat is a European thing that has never taken off in America or Canada. You see the odd Fiat 500. For Dodge/Chrysler, I think there are 3 local dealers within 20km's of me. Same with Ford. Small town dealer friendlineess and convenience. As well as built in North America pride and nostalgia going on.

Some families shop at the same car dealer for generations.

I take my Mirage to my local Ford dealer for oil changes, and for $49 way cheaper than anyone, especially Mitsubishi $107.. and with hotel-like service (Ford). They even joked that I have an Evo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Yea Jeeps and Dodge trucks sell well for sure. Fiat is a European thing that has never taken off in America or Canada. You see the odd Fiat 500. For Dodge/Chrysler, I think there are 3 local dealers within 20km's of me. Same with Ford. Small town dealer friendlineess and convenience. As well as built in North America pride and nostalgia going on.

Some families shop at the same car dealer for generations.

I take my Mirage to my local Ford dealer for oil changes, and for $49 way cheaper than anyone, especially Mitsubishi $107.. and with hotel-like service (Ford). They even joked that I have an Evo.
    Fiat has 377 U.S. dealerships, which it calls studios. Of those, 281 are tied to Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram showrooms, 90 are paired with Alfa Romeo and six are standalone stores.

536,980 Dodge Ram vs. 5,370 Fiat 500 sold in 2018.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-22-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I had an '82 Toyota 4x4. They were known as the rustiest trucks ever sold in Canada. Too bad, my driveline survived me thrashing it for almost 200k miles.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    536,980 Dodge Ram trucks were purchased in 2018.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge sold 2x that many Caravans as well.

The US Fiat 500 sales scales down to ~500 sold in Canada. I rarely see Fiats.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I had an '82 Toyota 4x4. They were known as the rustiest trucks ever sold in Canada. Too bad, my driveline survived me thrashing it for almost 200k miles.
    Ya, I had one of the "no name" 4x4's too an 86 I think.My brother said I should have kept it for a bush buggy as it was mechanically sound, the body....awful rust. Still see a few up here with flatbeds/stakes on them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya, I had one of the "no name" 4x4's too an 86 I think.My brother said I should have kept it for a bush buggy as it was mechanically sound, the body....awful rust. Still see a few up here with flatbeds/stakes on them.
    I toy with the idea of finding one in a southern state with no rust for a song, bringing it home and rebuilding the entire driveline (if high mileage or just because) and having an almost new 4x4 for perhaps $10k. Then I figure, why a Toyota? Why not find a diesel Land Rover and rebuild it. Sadly, I doubt I'll get either done.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I had 2x 2014 Mirages that I had for 5 years. I plan on keeping my 2017 until repairs are more than it would cost to replace it. I have a 2007 Volkswagen Beetle I bought 2 years ago. I plan on keeping it forever ☺️ I only drive my bug in the summer, plus splitting up milage will make my Mirage last longer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)