Thread: Clutch test

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Clutch test

Hi There!

Does the clutch test really that reliable? put the shift on 1st gear then release the clutch pedal slowly then if the car jerked and shuts off the clutch is good.

I'm just asking, since my mirage will turns 8 years now and I really don't feel any difference since i bought my Mirage. Do I need to worry about it or is there a certain mileage that when reached you have to change the parts for the clutch assembly or kit?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Hi There!

Does the clutch test really that reliable? put the shift on 1st gear then release the clutch pedal slowly then if the car jerked and shuts off the clutch is good.

I'm just asking, since my mirage will turns 8 years now and I really don't feel any difference since i bought my Mirage. Do I need to worry about it or is there a certain mileage that when reached you have to change the parts for the clutch assembly or kit?
    If used properly, I think they can last long time. The dude that did 1,000,000+ miles (1,609,344+ km) with his 2007 Nissan Frontier in the Chicago area replaced his clutch @ 801,000 miles (1,289,085 km).

If it seems normal to you, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (05-06-2023)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Normal is normal.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No no. The Mirage is so light even with a bad clutch you could probably pull away like you stated.

Put the parking brake on, then slowly release the clutch while giving it the normal amount of gas to pull away. It should stall.

I've owned an incredible amount of standard transmission cars over the years. I only replaced the clutch in my 540HP Mustang that I drag raced. It would generally last a whole season, that is a LOT of abuse. I could change it out in 75 minutes.

My Skoda, a rear engine car was JUNK clutch wise. Every 30,000 KM the clutch would die. It did not matter how I drove the car. It was just a bad design and nothing could change that.

I put 300,000 miles on a Tempo pulling all manner of trailers far too heavy. There were no clutch issues. All my other standard vehicles NEVER needed a clutch. I wouldn't buy a vehicle that needed a clutch. Doing the test I mentioned above never let me down. When going to buy a car, if the vehicle passed, the clutch in it would last me as long as I owned the car. If the test failed I walked away.

I can't recall any Mirages needing a clutch that hadn't been severely abused. In fact, I can't recall ANY Mirages needing a clutch.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I had a clutch go bad in my Cummins Ram. But it was 15 years old and I was making way more torque than stock. Even though I could make the clutch slip (6th gear, 2,100 rpm, especially when towing), it wasn't the actual lack of friction / clamping force or clutch pad wear that was an issue. The pilot bearing disintegrated for some reason. Perhaps it was extremely low quality.

I think in a Mirage at a 4,000 rpm pull in top gear would be even more telling. The caveat is that in a Mirage, you'd have to be doing 79~80 mph in 5th gear @ 4,000 rpm to do this test. Or ~65 mph in 4th gear, would probably be OK too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I should have asked for the old clutch when I got the tranny replaced to ask y'all how it looked - this was at about 70k miles.

However, I would count my use of the mirage as "extreme" with shifts normally at 3k+ and a few over 5k shifts a week.