Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Thanks for the info!

For prevention I put a dab of grease on the clevis.
    Also, I have a new replacement in the car. At €12.50 (about $15) it is afforable.
    I bought an OEM clutch cable from eBay, but it was $57.53 with free shipping. It was the last one listed. I'm sure they will be restocked, & there are other options out there. I didn't notice any real cheap aftermarket ones, but I also didn't look that hard.

The steering linkage went out on my John Deere riding lawnmower last week. It's 28 years old. I bought it used in 2002. I mow two relatively rough yards with it. I don't get upset when something needs to be replaced.

The John Deere part was $70. I added a $20 aftermarket part that I got from eBay yesterday. The aftermarket part is designed better than the factory original. It fit great, & worked perfectly when mowing yesterday, too!

Mechanical things break! It comes with owning stuff!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I originally thought my clutch had failed, so I did some pricing on new clutch sets. Maaaan. Online Mitsubishi parts sellers won't even sell the pressure plate, and the Exedy clutch set seems to be sold out everywhere except Puerto Rico for some reason. ANY replacement clutch set is hard to find for these cars.

I bought this one just to have it on the shelf...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293436710231

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-18-2021)

I just hit 118,000 mi / 189,903 km, after reading through this thread I went ahead and purchased two new replacement cables. I probably should've bought a cheaper ebay cable which currently seem to be coming from Puerto Rico? Oh well, too late.

I deliver with my Mirage just about everyday. This'll be some cheap insurance when my cable finally fails, i can't afford to be down for service too long. Thanks everyone for the tips and information.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 01-11-2022 at 04:51 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-11-2022),MetroMPG (01-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    I just hit 118,000 mi / 189,903 km, after reading through this thread I went ahead and purchased two new replacement cables. I probably should've bought a cheaper ebay cable which currently seem to be coming from Puerto Rico? Oh well, too late.

I deliver with my Mirage just about everyday. This'll be some cheap insurance when my cable finally fails, i can't afford to be down for service too long. Thanks everyone for the tips and information.
    I just bought this one. Clicked on it when we were discussing clutches last week, put it on my Watch List, and the seller offered me a small discount. Not impressed with the OEM design, so we'll see if what is presumably an aftermarket cable is worth a damn. It is coming from Puerto Rico, but I am not in a hurry.

Will report when it arrives.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-11-2022),inuvik (01-11-2022),MetroMPG (01-11-2022),Top_Fuel (01-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I just bought this one. Clicked on it when we were discussing clutches last week, put it on my Watch List, and the seller offered me a small discount. Not impressed with the OEM design, so we'll see if what is presumably an aftermarket cable is worth a damn. It is coming from Puerto Rico, but I am not in a hurry.

Will report when it arrives.

That's the one I saw coming from Puerto Rico and the price is just right! Hopefully the quality is up to par. I was thinking maybe we can add a few tack welds at the point where the clevis meets the steel cable to reinforce it? Maybe overkill?

I did see in some illustration of the clutch cable that the cable should be lubricated somehow maybe with grease or oil. I bet lack of lubricant and oxidation is what causes these cables to fail. I could see road salt and grime getting inside the cable causing failure.

I just received an email from Mitsubishi Parts Now and they said my parts will take up to 15 weeks to arrive since they are coming from Japan! I'm willing to wait but dang that's a long time.

I'm going order this $40 cable now, anything can happen in 15 weeks! Puerto Rico is a lot closer to me than Japan so it should arrive sooner. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 01-11-2022 at 06:52 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    That's the one I saw coming from Puerto Rico and the price is just right! Hopefully the quality is up to par. I was thinking maybe we can add a few tack welds at the point where the clevis meets the steel cable to reinforce it? Maybe overkill?

I did see in some illustration of the clutch cable that the cable should be lubricated somehow maybe with grease or oil. I bet lack of lubricant and oxidation is what causes these cables to fail. I could see road salt and grime getting inside the cable causing failure.

I just received an email from Mitsubishi Parts Now and they said my parts will take up to 15 weeks to arrive since they are coming from Japan! I'm willing to wait but dang that's a long time.

I'm going order this $40 cable now, anything can happen in 15 weeks! Puerto Rico is a lot closer to me than Japan so it should arrive sooner. Fingers crossed.
    I have a new clutch cable & new serpentine belt stored by my donut spare tire in my Mirage. It's just good insurance when I venture far from home. They aren't hard items to replacement, but you need the part to get back on the road again. I have a couple headlights back there. Those, however, can be found anywhere.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Puerto Rico is a lot closer to me than Japan so it should arrive sooner. Fingers crossed.
    I ordered mine last week and it is already in the mail. Definitely faster than 15 weeks!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-12-2022),inuvik (01-11-2022),MetroMPG (01-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I ordered mine last week and it is already in the mail. Definitely faster than 15 weeks!
    It also doesn't have to go through customs either so it should be delivered pretty quick.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-20-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    As a quick fix for the time being, the insertion hole on the clevis could be cleaned out, the wire stuck back in, and laying on an amboss or a vise, give it a good whack with a big hammer to crimp it back in.

Here they sell them including 3-day delivery for €15.- being about $20.-

16. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, here it is. This is the same aftermarket cable we have seen for sale in other countries for the past year or two (see Post 49 in this thread). Looks to be of good quality. It should work just fine, and may well be an improvement over the somewhat weak original design. This cable is a little different than the ones we have seen in the past in that it has some sort of black anti-friction coating on the cable itself.

I ordered it on the 5th, it arrived on the 15th. Not too bad for something coming from overseas nowadays. Given the cost of this aftermarket cable and the failure rate of the OEM design I'd recommend any Mirage owner with higher mileage having one of these stashed in the back of their car.

A broken clutch cable in your Mirage will not just ruin your day. It will likely ruin your week-and-a-half.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 01-16-2022 at 09:59 AM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-20-2022),Fummins (01-18-2022),inuvik (01-16-2022),MetroMPG (01-16-2022),Top_Fuel (01-16-2022)