Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dang, I was just reading through this thread and I'm glad I did! A few months ago I had posted looking for advice regarding my clutch: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ve-inexpensive!

You guys all gave some great advice! I'm now talking to the autos instructor at the college I work at to get my clutch repaired. After reading this, I bought the new cable too! I'm still kind of in shock that the OEM parts would easily cost over a grand, while I can get the parts elsewhere for about $150.

Cheers to you all!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayb151 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-07-2022),davidricardo86 (02-08-2022),MetroMPG (02-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I'm wondering ... might a person go ahead and invest in a clutch cable, and sort of lay it in place so that when the cable does break the replacement one can be just connected on each end and proceed on?

I plan on owning my Mirage for a while...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm wondering ... might a person go ahead and invest in a clutch cable, and sort of lay it in place so that when the cable does break the replacement one can be just connected on each end and proceed on?

Heck yea! I think that's a great idea. I've got about 90k on mine without the cable breaking...but I remember when the cable in my old VW broke, it was without warning. Using that Ebay link, the cable is cheap enough to have a spare on hand.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

I bought one on eBay for $57 quite some time ago. It's laying on top of donut spare tire along with a spare serpentine belt & two cheap halogen headlight bulbs. Since I am prepare, these items will never fail me now! That's how life works!

Cobrajet picked up for $40 not all that long ago (mentioned in this thread). Sensing you may need a clutch replacement (clutch kit) may happen more slowly over time. A clutch cable snapping is going to be sudden. If I am far from home when it happens, I want a quick easy fix!

I found a spare car. Doesn't have a clutch cable though. https://www.copart.ca/lot/64737341

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...might a person...sort of lay it in place so that when the cable does break the replacement one can be just connected on each end
    "Laying it in place" is probably 90% of the labor involved. So you might as well swap it out completely while you're at it.

Maybe there's a way to have $2 worth of hardware pieces in a ziploc bag to MacGyver a temporary solution on the side of the road with minimal tools. The cable always fails on the transmission end (pic below). Here's what I'm thinking as a possible solution...

Have a small pre-made wire rope loop ready with a couple of inches of wire beyond the loop. Place the loop over the end of the transmission lever. Then use a cable clamp to join the wire loop to the broken clutch cable. Instant clutch cable fix...

Name:  MacGyver clutch kit.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  85.4 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-07-2022 at 07:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-08-2022),MetroMPG (02-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I found a spare car. Doesn't have a clutch cable though. https://www.copart.ca/lot/64737341
    I don't think a spare car would store very well above my donut spare tire in the back either.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Fummins - Maybe we should all get a 2nd Mirage (just in case) and tow it around! And if the lead Mirage breaks down, just sign the title, leave it in the driver's seat, and drive the one that was being towed! We'd never get stranded with that level of preparation!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Fummins - Maybe we should all get a 2nd Mirage (just in case) and tow it around! And if the lead Mirage breaks down, just sign the title, leave it in the driver's seat, and drive the one that was being towed! We'd never get stranded with that level of preparation!
    I really think you're onto something. When I towed cars at the wrecker people would just call up and say come tow my car away, I don't want it anymore. Anybody could have called up and had their neighbors car towed away lol.

We don't have titles here. All you need to register a car here is proof of insurance and a bill of sale. I've written bills of sale with crayons before.