Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the Mirage was my only vehicle I would order one right away because waiting a week or more would really suck if it's your only car. What would you do? Rental? Ugh

Parts availability and cost are by far my least liked thing about the Mirage. Really my only thing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Cobrajet did you get your cable yet?
    It is in the mail now. Should be here by Friday. It took RC Hill about five days to get it in the mail, and it will take the USPS just three days to get here all the way from Florida.

That seems backwards to me, but at least it is on the way. I thought for sure it would simply be drop-shipped from a Mitsubishi warehouse on the west coast somewhere, but it is actually coming from DeLand, Florida. I guess they ordered it from their warehouse out east, then boxed and shipped it to me when it arrived at their dealership? Would explain the five-day handling time, I guess...

Eight days is bad, but honestly I was expecting worse.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It is in the mail now. Should be here by Friday. It took RC Hill about five days to get it in the mail, and it will take the USPS just three days to get here all the way from Florida.

That seems backwards to me, but at least it is on the way. I thought for sure it would simply be drop-shipped from a Mitsubishi warehouse on the west coast somewhere, but it is actually coming from DeLand, Florida. I guess they ordered it from their warehouse out east, then boxed and shipped it to me when it arrived at their dealership? Would explain the five-day handling time, I guess...

Eight days is bad, but honestly I was expecting worse.
    Vendors need to make sure the part they ordered is correct before shipping. Direct shipping has caused wrong or damaged parts to be delivered. Wouldn't be prudent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Vendors need to make sure the part they ordered is correct before shipping. Direct shipping has caused wrong or damaged parts to be delivered. Wouldn't be prudent.
    If I have it Friday night and can install it on Saturday, I will be happy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I pulled the broken clutch cable last night in anticipation of the new one arriving today. When I inspected it I found something interesting...

This part number is for a Mirage 1.0 clutch cable. The new cable is part number 2342A019. The cable that came out of the car must have been superseded at some point? Perhaps Mitsubishi changed something about this part in response to the unusual number of low-mileage failures?

Boy, would that be nice. My car is an early '15 model, with a build date of September, 2014. It will be interesting to see what is stamped on the new one.

Later cars may not be as susceptible to clutch cable failure as earlier ones are.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-11-2019),Eggman (03-08-2019),MetroMPG (03-08-2019),Top_Fuel (03-08-2019)

Clutch cable CSI!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Clutch cable CSI!
    Ah, yes!
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-09-2019 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect info

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-08-2019),Top_Fuel (03-08-2019)

Nice work!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nice work!!
    It isn't over yet. I may be wrong about this...

I have found pictures of this cable with the four-sided clevis marked as 2342A019.

The one with the hexagonal clevis may be an aftermarket part.

If this is true, why can't we get it anywhere? Why would Mitsubishi change the part number...but not change the part?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting. Well, the one with the longer swage area (hexagonal one) would be the way to go.