Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I'll post pics of mine when it shows up here in a few days. I bought the same Mitsubishi part that Cobrajet just installed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Both my 2018 and my buddies 2015 has the no hex clutch cable....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car has very low mileage but will probably order one of these cables and coil it in the spare tire as cheep roadside insurance..
    my spare tire wells EDC consists of small assortment of general hand tools, first aid kit, jumper cables, and a old car floor mat..
    figure if I have a spare and coil it in with the rest, I will never need it.

Take one for a test drive to your house and swap out clutch cables with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Take one for a test drive to your house and swap out clutch cables with it.
    Good idea, but maybe try swapping from your car to the wife's. The clutch cable should only take about 20 minutes to swap out of one car and into the other. You will only need a pair of pliers, a Philips screwdriver, and a 12mm box-end wrench. In case it isn't clear from this thread, the steps are:

1) Using the Phillips screwdriver to loosen the clamps, remove the intake boot that goes between the airbox and the throttle body. This will allow you to easily get at the clutch release lever.

2) Use the pliers to remove the split pin that holds the clutch cable clevis on the clutch release arm. Unscrew the clutch adjustment nut enough to remove the clevis from the arm, then pull the cable through the adjustment nut bracket.

3) Use the 12mm wrench to remove the bolt that secures the cable to the shock tower behind the battery. You can leave the battery in place (unless maybe you have gorilla hands).

4) Use the Phillips screwdriver once again to remove the plastic panel under the driver's side dash. These clips can be tricky. If you push too hard on them while you are unscrewing them they, well...won't unscrew. Once all three are unscrewed you can just pull the panel off.

5) Reach up under the dash to the top of the clutch pedal pivot and unhook the clevis from the clutch pedal. This may require a little contortion.

6) Pull the clutch cable out of the car from the engine compartment, being mindful of how it is routed.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Repeat the process on the other car, swap in the known good cable, and see how it feels. Adjust the nut on the cable to allow about 3-4mm of free play in the release arm.

Let us know what you find!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-30-2019),MetroMPG (05-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Nice write up, Cobrajet.

Once the cable is disconnected it should be easy to see if it is the cause of the problem without swapping.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice write up, Cobrajet.

Once the cable is disconnected it should be easy to see if it is the cause of the problem without swapping.
    This is likely true, if you know what a normal cable is supposed to feel like when disconnected. The swap is so easy I'd personally do it just to be sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for this thread!!!

Mine failed while sitting at a stop light in BFE. I was able to start in first and powershift to get home. The pressure fitting where the cable in sealed onto the end failed. you can see the cable imprint on the lead end... it's just shoddy workmanship. being as this failed at 128k miles for me, I will get no help from mitsu...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erroniously_Spelt For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-19-2020),MetroMPG (05-18-2020)

BFE??

Good that you were able to make your way home though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Erroniously_Spelt (05-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    BFE??

Good that you were able to make your way home though.
    An acronym for American slang meaning: "In the middle of nowhere"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-18-2020)