Thread: DIY: Installing a Daox glove box light kit

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

DIY: Installing a Daox glove box light kit

For those who have purchased a glove box light kit from me, first of all, thank you! Its people like you who make me want to keep doing more fun mods and make more kits to customize and personalize our Mirages. I appreciate your support.

For those who missed it, I went through the whole development process of this kit in the thread below:

Developing a glove box light

If you're interested in purchasing a kit, see my product and price list thread:

Daox products & price list

Now, on to the installation instructions.

First off, you need to empty the 10 tons of junk you inevitably have in your glove box out. Then, push inward on the sides of the glove box. There are tabs that stop it as it opens, pushing in allows you to hinge the glove box all the way down to the floor. Also, once it has hinged down, you can pull it off the hinges quite easily to get a bit more access if need be. This really isn't necessary though.

Name:  Mirage 076.jpg
Views: 4561
Size:  91.8 KB

With the glove box hinged down, you will see this. Notice the radiused edge. That is where the switch will seat.

Name:  Mirage 078.jpg
Views: 3986
Size:  86.2 KB

So, grab the Y-cable and take a look at the switch. It has an angled stop built into the groove. So, push the switch bracket over the dash plastic. The wires go on the far side. Slide the switch bracket toward you until it seats against the dash plastic nicely. Its a pretty solid fit and does take a bit of oomph to move. Try to push on the switch bracket, and not the clip holding the switch on.

Name:  Mirage 081.jpg
Views: 3593
Size:  84.1 KB

Now, you grab the end of the Y-cable with the LED light in it, and clip it on to the dash plastic as shown. If you like, you can also run the other end of the Y-cable through the OEM USB cable holder.

Name:  Mirage 090.jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  86.4 KB

Next, plug the Y-cable into the car's female USB cable.

Name:  Mirage 098.jpg
Views: 3197
Size:  90.7 KB

You're almost done! Hinge the glove box back up into place. Grab the switch actuator (the only other plastic bit you get with the kit) and take a look at it. It has a groove in it that mates up with a rib on the glove box.

This rib lines up with...

Name:  Mirage 099mod.jpg
Views: 3242
Size:  89.4 KB

This groove.

Name:  Mirage 105mod.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  95.9 KB

The trick here is you gotta do this by feel. Lift up on the glove box a little bit like you're going to close it so you have some room to install the switch actuator. Feel where the rib is on the glove box and put the switch actuator in place. Move it back and forth to make sure it is fitting into the groove. Now, tilt the switch actuator outward (counter-clockwise) from the glove box, and push down and rotate it back inwards (clockwise). Eventually, it will snap into place.

Name:  Mirage 108.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  Mirage 106.jpg
Views: 3256
Size:  83.4 KB

Now, it may need some slight adjustment. You can move the switch actuator ever so slightly, or the switch bracket a tiny bit. But, when the glove box opens, you should hear the switch click. If you don't hear a click, you need to adjust things. However, it should be very close.

Congratulations, you now have a glove box light! You can put your junk back in the box and/or just sit there and play with it for a while.

If you're interested in purchasing a kit, see my product and price list thread:

Daox products & price list

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (01-31-2018),mitsumi (01-31-2018),Top_Fuel (01-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Awesome...can't wait to try it out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    woah! awesome! i thought of this before but wanted to use a led strip or a T10 bulb

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    woah! awesome! i thought of this before but wanted to use a led strip or a T10 bulb
    We're on the same boat pal.. since I have a GLS .. I would be doing Alex1a1f idea (post #12) instead. I have a Led strip on hand .. just waiting for the magnetic switch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Thanks!

A LED strip would work great, as would a T10 bulb too. That would just mean you'd need to do some soldering yourself.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    That would just mean you'd need to do some soldering yourself.
    No problem. In my case, soldering will be kept to a bare minimum if any. I'll be using a clip-type connector specifically made for LED strips.

Name:  LED Strip clip-on connector.jpg
Views: 3147
Size:  87.1 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-31-2018),Eggman (02-01-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    is there a diagram on where does that USB port from the glove box is connected?

is it directly from the Headunit? or where?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    mitsumi, it can either tie directly to the radio or go to the JCI bluetooth module.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (05-02-2018)