Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What oil change intervals are we following for 1.2’s doing 4000rpm?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

What oil change intervals are we following for 1.2’s doing 4000rpm?

Just curious. Did the first change at 1000km like a good boy. Doing the next service soon (tire swap, engine oil has 5000km in it full synthetic)

Will double check manual but what else should I be checking on this thing at each service? Will lube front brakes since the wheels are off and see if rears need adjustment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I change my engine oil twice a year - spring & autumn. Since I have a short commute in town and don't put on enough miles to require more frequent oil change intervals, I change my motor oil based on the six-month limit according to Schedule 2 in my 2015 Warranty & Maintenance Manual.

This fill I used Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic oil and their M1-110A Extended Performance filter - both of which are usually offered with rebates around when I do my change. It's considered one of the best combinations of engine lubricant and filtration, and both are easy to find.

And I put on a Fumoto valve for easier oil changes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I do just what the factory recommends. Oil/filter change every 7,500 miles. I use an OEM filter and Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE oil.

I always thought 7500 miles was very conservative with today's oils, filters, and cleaner-burning engines. But if it keeps my warranty valid...

Planning on doing a compression test at 100,000 miles to see how well I did on maintenance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Will lube front brakes since the wheels are off and see if rears need adjustment.
    Rear brakes are self-adjusting. No manual adjustment is needed, or even possible. If your e-brake handle only goes up 7-9 clicks, your rear brakes are good to go.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I'm doing 5,000 mile oil change intervals...mainly because it's easier for me to remember when I'm due for an oil change. For me this is 4 oil changes per year.

Based on my past oil analysis, it's pretty clear that you could safely extend these intervals to 10,000 miles if you're using a decent synthetic oil and quality filter. But until it's out of warranty, following Mitsubishi's maintenance schedule should be fine just to protect your warranty. Be sure to save dated receipts from your oil changes. You never know when you may need them.

...what else should I be checking on this thing at each service?
    I rotate my tires at every oil change. I'm at 40,000 miles now and all 4 of my tires are showing nearly identical wear. Of course this assumes that you have had your alignment checked, which is mandatory on these cars even if they are brand new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will double check manual but what else should I be checking on this thing at each service?
    Keep an eye on your cabin air filter. They get nasty faster than you would expect.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...n-air-filters!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Is the oil on your side of the Ocean worse, or what? My instruction manuals states the oil has to be changed each year, or each 20000 km, whichever comes first. That is way more than 7500 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Is the oil on your side of the Ocean worse, or what? My instruction manuals states the oil has to be changed each year, or each 20000 km, whichever comes first. That is way more than 7500 miles.
    Our oil isn't worse...our warranty is better. There is a 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty here in the US which I don't think you get in Europe. Mitsubishi makes our OCI lower to keep warranty claims down.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-05-2018)

I have a van here with almost 700000kms on it. On the original engine running basic conventional oil and filters every 5000kms. I don't think it'd still run as well if at all if I changed the oil every 20000kms. Or maybe it would?
    For the Mirages, I use 0w20 synthetic, city cars are changed at 6000kms, highway car 12000kms. And a few randoms go around 8-10000kms. Haven't had one fail yet. But now I said that ones gonna crater this week.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

oil change intervals

Finding out that different parts of the world have different maintenance recommendations is interesting.

I sort of lean somewhere between the schedule 1 & schedule 2 suggestions for the United States. I don't base that on any hard facts, & everyone seems to have a variety of opinions on this. Since synthetic oil is more expensive than conventional oil, I feel it should provide some added benefit of lasting longer. It's one of the synthetic oil claims at least. Car manufacturers seem to support this by increasing the recommended oil change intervals on most new vehicles.

In my mind, paying extra for synthetic oil (while increasing the oil change intervals some) justifies the added cost. At the same time, the Mirage only takes 3 quarts of oil. If you do your own oil changes, it's not that big of a deal. In all honesty, a synthetic oil change for a Mirage should cost less than a my other vehicle (Subaru Forester). My Forester takes 5.5 quarts of oil, which is sort of pain. A 5-quart jug of 0W-20 Mobil 1 synthetic oil from Walmart (or anywhere) isn't enough for one oil change.

I try to change my oil @ approximately 6,000 miles. Having lived through many years of 3,000 miles oil change intervals (with conventional oil) I've had to convince myself that this is ok. I am little flexible about it all, but I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my warranty either. I try to stay around 6 months &/or 6000 miles. For my car usage, this works for me. If I ever need warranty work done, I keep all my receipts for my oil and filter purchases.

Tearing a tab off the filter box cover also works best for me. I just stick the date/mileage of the last oil change on the corner of front windshield like mechanics have been doing for decades. I like the concept of the Mirage reminder on the instrument panel. If a person can't set the mileage/date they want easily, it seems sort of worthless to me. I just clear the reminder on the dash when need be. If I drove exactly 7500 miles every 6 months, the United States Mirage settings might be ok. A slight look up on the windshield, & I am reminded of the date & mileage of my last oil change. Life is good!

These newer cars with light weight synthetic oils & longer oil change intervals were a little unsettling to me at first. I am finally at peace with all this. I take advantage of the extended life of synthetic oil. At the same time, I don't lose sight of the fact that a Mirage only uses 3 quarts of oil. 3 quarts don't have to stay in that small engine forever for me to feel like I've gotten my money worth out of it.

Sidenote: Over the past couple years, we have updated the various vehicles we use for behind-the-wheel lessons with students. Along with the updated vehicles, we have gone from conventional to all synthetic oil changes now. Our local mechanic (that I respect & trust) recommends 5,000 mile synthetic oil change intervals for all of our driver education cars. Even if the manufacturers recommends something more, he feels this is a happy medium for our cars. Thus, we've gone from 3000 miles changes with conventional oils to 5000 mile changes with synthetic. Overall, our various btw cars take more abuse than my Mirage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-06-2018)