Thread: Outlander plug-in hybrid now in North America. Also, photo deja-vu.

Outlander plug-in hybrid now in North America. Also, photo deja-vu.

After several years available in Europe (where it sells like hotcakes because of various incentives), the Outlander PHEV is available on this side of the pond now.

It's uniquely positioned (for now) as the least expensive SUV with all-electric mode and a gas engine for when the battery is depleted.

More info: 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV: first drive of plug-in hybrid SUV

I got a chuckle out of the "now in Canada!!" photo that Mitsu released:

Name:  15478_The_World_s_Best_Selling_Plug_in_Hybrid_SUV_arrives_in_Canada.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  65.9 KB

From: https://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/...ves-in-canada1

VERY similar to the "now available" pic they posted of the first few Mirages to roll off the ship at the same dockyard in September, 2013:

Thread: First 2014 Mirages have arrived in Canada - available Sept 24th

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-18-2017),Canoehead (02-03-2018),Cobrajet (12-19-2017),Daox (12-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Lol...glad to see it. Wish we could have seen the PHEV Outlander three years ago when Mitsubishi told us we'd see it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very impressive. 20 miles on a single charge isn't bad at all. That's major fuel savings for driving around town. I'd consider this over the new Eclipse-Cross, just for gas savings.

"Mitsubishi isn't quite ready to talk about the Outlander PHEV's all-electric range just yet. Company representatives said they have full confidence its battery rating will beat any other plug-in hybrid crossover or SUV on sale in the U.S."

^^now that is something impressive. I don't remember if the Outlander PHEV was already released outside of North America but it seems to be getting good reviews from what I'm seeing, especially for it's class. It's definitely got my attention.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

^ Yeah, I could do ALL my local driving on electricity with 20 miles range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Lol...glad to see it. Wish we could have seen the PHEV Outlander three years ago when Mitsubishi told us we'd see it!
    I wonder what the hold-up was. I bet they were selling all they could make in Europe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can we just get hydrogen fuel cells mainstream already?

If you own a hybrid you have to pay no congestion charge in London even though the battery is the size of 12v.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Saw this article today:

https://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-dea...der-phev-suvs/

My favorite quote from the article:

“As we previously reported, Don Swearingen, COO of Mitsubishi Motors North America, believes that this new (to the U.S.) plug-in hybrid SUV may be a final effort from Mitsubishi to prove itself in North America. He also talked about prepping dealers for early success early and voiced his concerns about some dealerships that aren’t quite up to the caliber of others. Swearingen explained:”
    “We want everybody in the game. We put them on notice that we want them to succeed, or we’d like them to find a buyer. We’ve been very consistent with that.”

Well, Oregon is down to 1 ONE dealer for the entire state so it’s pretty hard to get too revved up when a trip to your closest dealer is a 450 miles, 724 km round trip. Thank goodness the Mirage is reliable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

2of9 (01-24-2018),Daox (01-24-2018),Eggman (01-24-2018)

Oregon is down to 1 ONE dealer for the entire state
    That's nuts!

some dealerships that aren’t quite up to the caliber of others
    One of the Mitsu "dealers" shown on their dealer locator web page as being closest to me actually turned out to be about half a dozen new Mitsubishis sitting on a used car lot and truck rental franchise. An afterthought.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It does seem like an impressive vehicle. Hopefully it sells!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

First Canadian review - positive

What’s impressive is the manner in which the powertrain switches between its different operating modes — it is seamless and better than many of its peers because the different components are “rev-matched” to ease the transition.
    Source: http://driving.ca/mitsubishi/outland...outlander-phev

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-26-2018)

I've seen two more Canadian reviews, and they were also positive.

One comment that has come up in all three is how seamlessly it switches between drive modes (electric to internal combustion and back again).