Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiat leaving U.S? Trying to boost 500 sales with turbo-only engine for 2018

Fiat leaving U.S? Trying to boost 500 sales with turbo-only engine for 2018

Name:  263526.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  48.1 KB

Anybody else see this news?

FCA is going with only turbo engines in the Fiat 500 in the U.S. for 2018, adding 34 horsepower:

Fiat announced that 2018 model year 500s will all use the 1.4-liter MultiAir turbocharged engine, the same one found in the Fiat 500 Abarth and the 124 Spider and phasing out the normal-breathing unit. Power has been bumped from the naturally aspirated output of 101 horsepower to 135.
    https://jalopnik.com/all-2018-fiat-5...ged-1822868799

The car hasn't been selling well in the U.S. -- sales peaked in 2012 and have been falling since then. The Mirage has outsold it by a good margin for the past 2 calendar years:

Year Fiat 500 US sales
    Mirage US sales
    33708 16708
    25084 21515
    15437 22226
    12685 22386

I wonder if the turbo is going to boost sales. (Sorry. Couldn't resist )

People probably don't generally cross-shop the Mirage against the 500, but I know a few members here have test-driven or owned them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I wonder if the turbo is going to boost sales.
    It certainly seems they are operating under pressure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Too funny!

Seriously, they'd better be careful. If this tactic proves to be hot, they might exhaust supply.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably trying to hit a different consumer segment now that the Explorers and girls who just wanted a 'cute' car are done. I'd say they're trying to hit young men who don't have much income and want something turbo'd.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

^ Good point. I bet a lot of (not all) buyers were basically getting a fashion accessory.

They've been introducing special editions pretty regularly: the sliding roof convertible, an even more retro model, the Abarth (which is supposedly a blast).

Still the sales have only been going down.

It's tough selling small cars in the States after 4 years of relatively cheap gas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I helped a friend buy several of them (first one totalled, he wanted another). We got a much better deal on the 2nd one because they were no longer the 'It' car. Not a bad little car, though a bit small for my needs. Still, premium gas for 1.4 liter engine that only puts out 100hp seems ridiculous. If the horsepower increase is only 25-ish, it's not the same setup as the Abarth and 124 that put out 160-ish. It's the mild turbo they started using a few years ago. I doubt it will bring the brand back, but it should make a great used car in a few years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2012 Fiat 500, and I'm sorry to hear this. With my 2012 Fiat 500 I am able to get nearly 40 MPG. The turbo model Abarth doesn't come anywhere close to this. I guess they made their decision to sell on styling rather than on fuel economy. This means, I won't ever buy a new Fiat 500.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bolo For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ^ Good point. I bet a lot of (not all) buyers were basically getting a fashion accessory.

They've been introducing special editions pretty regularly: the sliding roof convertible, an even more retro model, the Abarth (which is supposedly a blast).

Still the sales have only been going down.

It's tough selling small cars in the States after 4 years of relatively cheap gas.
    yup, same problem James May said the Fiat 500 had when he reviewed its relaunch on TopGear. He just called it a fashion accessory.

But this is good for people who want to buy one now as they are just throwing in extras and a more appealing design.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    I helped a friend buy several of them (first one totalled, he wanted another). We got a much better deal on the 2nd one because they were no longer the 'It' car. Not a bad little car, though a bit small for my needs. Still, premium gas for 1.4 liter engine that only puts out 100hp seems ridiculous. If the horsepower increase is only 25-ish, it's not the same setup as the Abarth and 124 that put out 160-ish. It's the mild turbo they started using a few years ago. I doubt it will bring the brand back, but it should make a great used car in a few years.
    I think Fiat is doing this to save money. By restricting options to just 1 engine and 2 transmissions, they are cutting from production 1 engine and 2 transmissions. Since fuel economy is not a selling point currently, they might as well try to sell on performance. It is the Abarth motor, it's just that maximum boost is artificially limited, thus reduced hp/torque. Lots of mods available for the car though, bringing hp reliably and cheaply to 200-220 and torque to 220-240.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    I think Fiat is doing this to save money. By restricting options to just 1 engine and 2 transmissions, they are cutting from production 1 engine and 2 transmissions. Since fuel economy is not a selling point currently, they might as well try to sell on performance. It is the Abarth motor, it's just that maximum boost is artificially limited, thus reduced hp/torque. Lots of mods available for the car though, bringing hp reliably and cheaply to 200-220 and torque to 220-240.
    Fuel economy should be a selling point forever. The gas prices are low due to world petrol consumption. Once the Asians start consuming more world prices will increase. Only fools are going out and buying gas guzzlers.

Good point on production. It would cost less just to use the same engine. I mean its just a tuned down version of the Abarth. Just tune that baby up. Well the turbo on the regular 500 might be smaller.