Had 2nd service everything is ok with the Car

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 836 Posts
    Thanks for the update Adam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (06-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm having this problem myself... problem is I can't really tell what the sound is or where it's coming from. It happens when I brake, but only when I brake with fair force. I'm not slamming the brakes, but when gliding to a stop, I don't hear it, at least until the very end when the car actually stops. It sounds like nails on a chalkboard or a tea kettle whistling. I just hit 30k, but on my last inspection at around 25k, they said they looked fine. Any thoughts before I take it to a garage?

Edit: I should say I'm in a 2015 Mirage DE.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
    It sounds like nails on a chalkboard or a tea kettle whistling.
    That sounds like your pad wear indicator. Have you checked your brake pads?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.1 mpg (US) ... 21.3 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
    I'm having this problem myself... problem is I can't really tell what the sound is or where it's coming from. It happens when I brake, but only when I brake with fair force. I'm not slamming the brakes, but when gliding to a stop, I don't hear it, at least until the very end when the car actually stops. It sounds like nails on a chalkboard or a tea kettle whistling. I just hit 30k, but on my last inspection at around 25k, they said they looked fine. Any thoughts before I take it to a garage?

Edit: I should say I'm in a 2015 Mirage DE.
    Like eggman said, could be wear indicators rubbing? They seem to scrape a little earlier than I think they should. If you can't figure it out pull the wheel, pull the brake pads and look at the wear indicator. If the tip is shiny it's scraping.

Or it could be the rear brakes as well. It's pretty common for them to make noise. I've had to blow the dust out and apply brake lube where the shoes rub on the backing plates on a handful of cars because of noise when braking. I only changed one set of shoes and drums. That was at 381xxxkms(236xxxmiles). Only changed them because they were just grooved so bady and I couldn't get the screeching to go away while braking with any effort. Sucks cause there was still lots of meat on the shoes still.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Like eggman said, could be wear indicators rubbing? They seem to scrape a little earlier than I think they should. If you can't figure it out pull the wheel, pull the brake pads and look at the wear indicator. If the tip is shiny it's scraping.

Or it could be the rear brakes as well. It's pretty common for them to make noise. I've had to blow the dust out and apply brake lube where the shoes rub on the backing plates on a handful of cars because of noise when braking. I only changed one set of shoes and drums. That was at 381xxxkms(236xxxmiles). Only changed them because they were just grooved so bady and I couldn't get the screeching to go away while braking with any effort. Sucks cause there was still lots of meat on the shoes still.
    Well, it has to be the rear brakes now I think. I stuck my head out the window and braked a few times, and the sound is 100% coming from the rear. I also figured it couldn't be the front brake pads really, as the sound does NOT occur when gently or even moderately braking and coming to a stop. It's only when suddenly braking (I don't slam, trust me) or, towards the end, when coming to a full stop, do I hear it.

Is there a visual check I can do on the rear brakes, or should I go ahead and haul it in to the dealership? I guess I just want to make sure it's nothing that indicates major damage.