Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grinding Brake Noises

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Is it possible to replace the pads and not notice a sticking caliper?
    If you don't know what to look for...it's possible.

When replacing brake pads, take a good look at your old pads to make sure they have been wearing evenly. If the caliper piston is stuck or the caliper slides are not free to move back and forth, you're going to see one pad with much less friction material on it than the other. That's a big red flag that something needs to be corrected.

If you don't understand why your pads aren't wearing evenly and you just put replacement pads on, then your new pads are likely going to continue wearing out in a similar way...like Loren pointed out.

This page has some diagrams of pad wear and possible causes: Uneven Brake Pad Wear

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Doesn't the caliper need to be removed in order to replace the pads? I figure that would be where a sticky caliper would become real obvious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks

Low frequency grinding with new pads and rotors

Hi there, I've installed new brake pads (Bosch 0 986 494 878) and rotors (Blue Print ADC443132) and I've only ran about 500 km until now. I guess that is still bedding in. The strange thing is that with the old set I start hearing a grinding (strong low frequency) noise after more intense braking, especially downhill. However I hear it again sometimes when the brakes get hotter (but I didn't find an exact pattern). I've already checked everything and I do not see anything wrong. Here is the work that I made:

Things that I checked:
    - I am able to see both brake caliper pistons going back and forth, I record it on camera.
    - I already checked if the wheels were being locked (after press/depress the brakes) and all looks fine and rolling well.
    - I've replaced the brake piston dust boots and I noticed a minor rust dust on one of the pistons, but I've cleaned it easily. (https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post159507)
    - I do not feel any drag on the wheels.

Questions:
    - Is it normal after 3.5km downhill (2nd gear and AC on, doing a careful drive) to have some "smoke" and smell when its new brakes?
    - Could the “low frequency” grinding noise be normal somehow because of the bedding process?
    - On these cars the inner pads keep lightly in touch with the rotors (I do not see any mechanism to make it stop touching the rotor, the inner pad clips are flat)?
    - Should I make a especially test with the brakes very hot?
    - Should I just ignore this and keep driving more to see if the bedding could solve the strange noise?

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some tips regarding this. Thanks in advance.

(3A92 59kW)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)

I just skimmed through your video quickly...
    No, it's not normal for your brakes to smoke and stink, but I've never used bosch pads so...

Did you replace the clips where the pads ride?
    If not, did you:
    -remove the old clips and clean them up
    -clean the rust from the caliper bracket
    -clean the old grease from the slide pin holes(it's easier by just removing the bracket from the car)
    -make sure pins travel freely all the into the bracket(no trapped old grease got pushed inside the holes)
    -make sure inner pad moves freely
    -put a little dab of brake lube on both sides of the clip where the inner pad rides

The backing plates get bent easily when the wheel is off and you spin the spindle side to side. It can scrape on the backside of the rotor.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

edPower (02-21-2024)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just skimmed through your video quickly...
    No, it's not normal for your brakes to smoke and stink, but I've never used bosch pads so...

Did you replace the clips where the pads ride?
    If not, did you:
    -remove the old clips and clean them up
    -clean the rust from the caliper bracket
    -clean the old grease from the slide pin holes(it's easier by just removing the bracket from the car)
    -make sure pins travel freely all the into the bracket(no trapped old grease got pushed inside the holes)
    -make sure inner pad moves freely
    -put a little dab of brake lube on both sides of the clip where the inner pad rides

The backing plates get bent easily when the wheel is off and you spin the spindle side to side. It can scrape on the backside of the rotor.
    Thanks Fummins. I didn't replace the old clips but I've cleaned them and put some brake lube on it. This is an actual pic from that:
    Name:  IMG_20240105_095121.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  101.1 KB
    Now regarding this "-make sure inner pad moves freely", to be honest it slides but is is not so freely that can fall easily, maybe I will end up trying to buy new clips and replace it. On the 2:40 you can see how that slides:
    https://youtu.be/8WOCEClUaGc?t=160

Regarding the sliding pins I've cleaned it too (I tried to remove all the old grease by inserting the sliding pins, cleaning again the pin and repeat this until I see no significant grease coming out) and then I put new silicone grease on it (without put too much). I also tested the sliding pins movement and it looks to slide freely.

Regarding the smell and "smoke" it happens just one time (but for me it looks strange). This is kind frustrating as I try to follow all the best practices that I found on internet

(3A92 59kW)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to edPower For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by edPower View Post
    Thanks Fummins. I didn't replace the old clips but I've cleaned them and put some brake lube on it. This is an actual pic from that:
    Name:  IMG_20240105_095121.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  101.1 KB
    Now regarding this "-make sure inner pad moves freely", to be honest it slides but is is not so freely that can fall easily, maybe I will end up trying to buy new clips and replace it. On the 2:40 you can see how that slides:
    https://youtu.be/8WOCEClUaGc?t=160

Regarding the sliding pins I've cleaned it too (I tried to remove all the old grease by inserting the sliding pins, cleaning again the pin and repeat this until I see no significant grease coming out) and then I put new silicone grease on it (without put too much). I also tested the sliding pins movement and it looks to slide freely.

Regarding the smell and "smoke" it happens just one time (but for me it looks strange). This is kind frustrating as I try to follow all the best practices that I found on internet
    Sometimes rust can build up under the clips(where the pad rides) and needs a light filing. Your car looks really clean though.
    Make sure there's no grease suck in the end of the bracket, can use a pick or even wire to clean it out and make sure nothing is trapped/shoved inside. Brakes can be a pita when they make noise after replacing them. I've had that happen a few times and often slapping a little lube under the clips sometimes shuts them up.

On second thought, are you sure the noise you're hearing is coming from the front? I often hear complaints of brake noise when coming to a relatively hard stop, mostly after the car has slowed down and is almost at a stop. Most think it's the front but often it's the rear brakes are grooved. But that's usually more common on the older models with the smaller drums and ratchet style adjuster.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

edPower (02-23-2024)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Sometimes rust can build up under the clips(where the pad rides) and needs a light filing. Your car looks really clean though.
    Make sure there's no grease suck in the end of the bracket, can use a pick or even wire to clean it out and make sure nothing is trapped/shoved inside. Brakes can be a pita when they make noise after replacing them. I've had that happen a few times and often slapping a little lube under the clips sometimes shuts them up.

On second thought, are you sure the noise you're hearing is coming from the front? I often hear complaints of brake noise when coming to a relatively hard stop, mostly after the car has slowed down and is almost at a stop. Most think it's the front but often it's the rear brakes are grooved. But that's usually more common on the older models with the smaller drums and ratchet style adjuster.
    I will try to understand if the noise is from rear brakes, I never checked it and on the front this is the 3rd set of pads. The noise is really the same, it will be strange to have the exact same noise on front after changed rotors and pads.

Something that I noticed is that the OEM inner pad had a back plate on it but this one doesn't. Should I apply brake grease where the piston contacts the pad? The previous pads also didn't have it and I never heared brake noises during years.

I also replaced the brake fluid some time before, but I think there is no air on the system. The pedal is feeling really good. But I used the one person bleed method. Can this relates some how with this noise if for some reason have air on one of the lines (or rear lines)?

(3A92 59kW)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    When I put new rotors and pads on any of my cars, the first drive I put them through a "burnishing" process. And yes, they smoke during that process. Sometimes they smoke heavily. I can smell it and if I aim my outside mirrors down at the rear wheels, I can see smoke during this process. I have noticed that the life and performance of the brakes that have been through a burnishing both seem very good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

edPower (02-23-2024)