Had 2nd service everything is ok with the Car

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Thanks for the update Adam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (06-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm having this problem myself... problem is I can't really tell what the sound is or where it's coming from. It happens when I brake, but only when I brake with fair force. I'm not slamming the brakes, but when gliding to a stop, I don't hear it, at least until the very end when the car actually stops. It sounds like nails on a chalkboard or a tea kettle whistling. I just hit 30k, but on my last inspection at around 25k, they said they looked fine. Any thoughts before I take it to a garage?

Edit: I should say I'm in a 2015 Mirage DE.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
    It sounds like nails on a chalkboard or a tea kettle whistling.
    That sounds like your pad wear indicator. Have you checked your brake pads?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
    I'm having this problem myself... problem is I can't really tell what the sound is or where it's coming from. It happens when I brake, but only when I brake with fair force. I'm not slamming the brakes, but when gliding to a stop, I don't hear it, at least until the very end when the car actually stops. It sounds like nails on a chalkboard or a tea kettle whistling. I just hit 30k, but on my last inspection at around 25k, they said they looked fine. Any thoughts before I take it to a garage?

Edit: I should say I'm in a 2015 Mirage DE.
    Like eggman said, could be wear indicators rubbing? They seem to scrape a little earlier than I think they should. If you can't figure it out pull the wheel, pull the brake pads and look at the wear indicator. If the tip is shiny it's scraping.

Or it could be the rear brakes as well. It's pretty common for them to make noise. I've had to blow the dust out and apply brake lube where the shoes rub on the backing plates on a handful of cars because of noise when braking. I only changed one set of shoes and drums. That was at 381xxxkms(236xxxmiles). Only changed them because they were just grooved so bady and I couldn't get the screeching to go away while braking with any effort. Sucks cause there was still lots of meat on the shoes still.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Like eggman said, could be wear indicators rubbing? They seem to scrape a little earlier than I think they should. If you can't figure it out pull the wheel, pull the brake pads and look at the wear indicator. If the tip is shiny it's scraping.

Or it could be the rear brakes as well. It's pretty common for them to make noise. I've had to blow the dust out and apply brake lube where the shoes rub on the backing plates on a handful of cars because of noise when braking. I only changed one set of shoes and drums. That was at 381xxxkms(236xxxmiles). Only changed them because they were just grooved so bady and I couldn't get the screeching to go away while braking with any effort. Sucks cause there was still lots of meat on the shoes still.
    Well, it has to be the rear brakes now I think. I stuck my head out the window and braked a few times, and the sound is 100% coming from the rear. I also figured it couldn't be the front brake pads really, as the sound does NOT occur when gently or even moderately braking and coming to a stop. It's only when suddenly braking (I don't slam, trust me) or, towards the end, when coming to a full stop, do I hear it.

Is there a visual check I can do on the rear brakes, or should I go ahead and haul it in to the dealership? I guess I just want to make sure it's nothing that indicates major damage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had this issue this past spring and now again in the fall. I just bought my used 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage with 9k miles on it in November 2017. By May 2018, I heard a grinding noise. There was no squeal of the metal that is used to indicate low brake pad wear.

While the brakes were grinding, I still had work, school, mom-stuff to do and as a single parent, didn't have extra money or time to fix them. I had to let them go about a week like that. (I know that's horrible). Finally, I bought brake pads and rotors and replaced the front brakes. Drivers side was fine, even had a decent amount of pad left. Passenger side was horrible. There was no brake pad at all so I believe it came loose and fell out? (Which also explains no squeal at all) The reason for the grinding was because the caliper piston was digging into the rotor at that point.

So I replaced everything and it was fine, but I was bothered that the brake pad would just fall out. Also that it would be so extreme that the piston was digging into the rotor.

I couldn't replace the caliper piston due to funds.

-------------

Fast forward to yesterday: My brakes started making the grinding noise. No squeal, nothing. Just that grinding like a train stopping.
    The brakes seemed stuck and didn't want to release so even going forward they were grinding.

I tried to tap the brakes to get them to unstick, and the brakes WENT OUT COMPLETELY. I pumped the brakes to get them to work. They finally regained pressure. I then slowly and safely made it home with kids in the car

Parked car in garage and arranged ride to work / school for kids.

Today I'm looking into getting all new parts for caliper, rotor, and brake pads once again. I thought it best to check the forum because this seems a bit excessive to have happen twice in a 5 month period (or even at all). I checked the brake pads when I bought them and they are ceramic and said are supposed to last quite a while.

2015 Mitsubishi Mirage - DE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeee View Post
    ...Passenger side was horrible. There was no brake pad at all
    ...The reason for the grinding was because the caliper piston was digging into the rotor at that point.
    Wow...I've seen a lot of strange brake issues before...but having the entire pad somehow disappear from the car? That's a new one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimeee View Post
    I thought it best to check the forum because this seems a bit excessive to have happen twice in a 5 month period (or even at all). I checked the brake pads when I bought them and they are ceramic and said are supposed to last quite a while.
    Your pads weren't your problem.

You have a sticky caliper, which isn't a very common problem (in Florida... probably more so on a 3-year old car in the rust belt)... but, it is a problem. It was sticking bad enough that it ate completely through one OE brake pad long before the rest were worn. You didn't fix that problem. It's not going to fix itself.

You shouldn't be surprised that the symptom (worn out brake pad) repeated itself. You didn't fix the problem.

Glad to hear that you're addressing the problem!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is it possible to replace the pads and not notice a sticking caliper?