Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent paying $$$ for needing to prematurely replace a key transponder

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vatorres View Post
    Hi Wallythacker
    I'm in Australia and have a Mirage 2014 ES. Both of my original keys are damaged and I can't use my car at the moment. I'm looking for a way to fix my keys or get a new one as cheap as possible, as Mitsubishi Australia quoted me AUD$450 for a new key, plus I need to tow my car to the dealer shop. I'm confused about this and still trying to understand how the immobilizer system works as my key does not seem to have a transponder chip. Could you please confirm your keys are similar to my photos?
    Thanks
    @vatorres:
    See the first post of this thread! The chip is glued in place, and has a red circle around it. Read the text of post1 to understand.

Sorry for you mate, you've lost the bloody chip! If you would have another functioning key, you could take it to a specalized key place and they could copy it as often as you want. That is comparatively cheap. Avoiding unnecessary costs was the point of starting this thread.

If the dealer asks only for AU$ 450.- for getting back a functioning key, hooray for you because its dirt cheap! Since the chip is lost, he probably needs to replace the car's built-in electronic module and order at least one matching key, and then programm it on arrival.

Last edited by foama; 04-20-2021 at 11:32 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

vatorres (04-20-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    See the first post of this thread! The chip is glued in place, and has a red circle around it. Read the text of post1 to understand.

Sorry mate, youv'e lost the bloody chip! If you would have a second functioning key, you could take it to a specalized key place and they could copy it as often as you want. That is comparatively cheap. Avoiding unnecessary costs was the point of starting this thread.
    Hi foama
    Thanks for your reply. I read the entire forum including the first message, but later when I saw the reply from Wallythacker saying he disassembled his three keys without finding a transponder chip it got me thinking. Both my keys got damaged in a similar way and I don't remember either having seen a transponder chip inside even knowing the shell has a compartment for it, so I find too much coincidence that I lost both chips. I just want to confirm that ALL keys from Mirages 2014 have a similar chip inside. I have asked for a few auto locksmith quotes today and some people have replied saying I'm missing that part of the key, same as you.
    Is there any chance perhaps that the transponder is inside the controller chip (red thing)?
    Last edited by vatorres; 04-20-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Hi foama
    Thanks for your reply. I read the entire forum including the first message, but later when I saw the reply from Wallythacker saying he disassembled his three keys without finding a transponder chip it got me thinking. Both my keys got damaged in a similar way and I don't remember either having seen a transponder chip inside even knowing the shell has a compartment for it, so I find too much coincidence that I lost both chips. I just want to confirm that ALL keys from Mirages 2014 have a similar chip inside. I have asked for a few auto locksmith quotes today and some people have replied saying I'm missing that part of the key, same as you.
    Is there any chance perhaps that the transponder is inside the controller chip (red thing)?
    My car is also a 2014. The key with push buttons is exactly like yours.
    In your photo the chip would be seated in the recess within the yellow circle. My other key has no push buttons, exactly like the key in post 7. That sort of key also has a removable chip, but it is hard to remove and certainly doesn't disappear by itself. Those sort look similar to what key places produce as a clone.

The little piece within the red circle of the photo in post 1 is the actual chip glued into the tiny recess. Maybe you can find it?

It would save you a lot $$$ if only one chip were found and the entire key together with the chip copied/cloned. Good luck!
    Last edited by foama; 04-20-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Hi foama
    In Canada our keys don't have a separate transponder. The key looks quite a bit different, at least the keyless entry models. I'm not sure about the welfare edition cars. On our cars the transponder is inside the red keyfob thing. Either that or we don't have one, which I doubt is the case.

Nissan wanted $250 for just the key blank without the fob/transponder. I found on on amazon for $20 that was complete. I programmed it with a scan tool that I already had.

What's wrong with your key, worn out and doesn't turn the tumbler?

There seems to be an assumption that your car has to have a transponder in it, maybe it doesn't and never did?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Hi foama
    I believe all Mirage keys in North America would have some type of "electronic immobilizer". Your owner's manual should confirm that for your country. In North America we have three different key types (bolt print comes from my owner's manual) -

Type 1
    2 keys with an electronic immobilizer & a key number plate.
    Only the Canadian base level Mirages would have these keys, because all American Mirage trim levels come with remote entry.

Type 2
    2 keys with an electronic immobilizer, keyless entry system, & a key number plate.
    These keys would have a battery to operate the keyless entry system.

Type 3
    Two F.A.S.T.-keys, two emergency keys, & a key number plate.

I have the type 2 keys above, & I can duplicate a third key for about $15. You must have two working keys to do so, however. This is how I made a third key (for anyone reading this thread) -

1. A blank key costs $10.70 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace...75.c101224.m-1

2. My local ACE Hardware store charges $2.29 to cut a double-sided key.

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage. You follow the steps in your owner's manual (see below) -

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!

I follow the above steps with the new blank key that was cut by my local hardware store, & I now have an extra third key that will unlock my driver's door manually & will start my car. Should I lose a key in the future, I will still have two keys to make another replacement key again. Since my costs were under $15 (including shipping/tax), this is cheap key insurance.

Sadly, this doesn't help the recent posts (where no keys presently work). It would, however, prevent others finding themselves in the same situation some day. As it has been shared already, the alternative can be quite expensive.

Sidenote: Owner's manual does state this procedure will not work for Mirages in Canada. Not sure about other countries?
    Last edited by Mark; 04-20-2021 at 04:04 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vatorres (04-20-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    My car is also a 2014. The key with push buttons is exactly like yours.
    In your photo the chip would be seated in the recess within the yellow circle. My other key has no push buttons, exactly like the key in post 7. That sort of key also has a removable chip, but it is hard to remove and certainly doesn't disappear by itself. Those sort look similar to what key places produce as a clone.

The little piece within the red circle of the photo in post 1 is the actual chip glued into the tiny recess. Maybe you can find it?

It would save you a lot $$$ if only one chip were found and the entire key together with the chip copied/cloned. Good luck!
    Assuming there really was a transponder chip inside, which I still doubt, it would be impossible to find it at this time. Guy in post #24 seems to confirm what I'm saying.
    I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay for a pair of replacement keys. The best quote I got so far from an auto locksmith is AUD$45 service + AUD$235 first key + half price second key, all comes down to ~ AUD$ 400 roughly. Still much better than Mitsubishi's quote which same job would be more than a thousand dollars

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Assuming there really was a transponder chip inside, which I still doubt
    If you still doubt this, glue you key back together & drive your car. It should work!

If a Mirage ignition has an electronic immobilizer, the key has some type of chip in it that has to be programmed to the car. Otherwise, we could go to the local hardware store & have a $2 key made for our cars. We use $2 keys to access some of our driver's education cars (manually unlock the door). The chipped key to drive the car is kept in the glovebox.

I appreciate that I could make an extra chipped key for Mirage for under $15.

Doing the same thing for a Ford Focus cost about $85. We have 3 driving instructors who share two cars, & it cost $85 to have a chipped key made for the third instructor using that car.

If you don't feel you have chip inside your Mirage key, you take key to the hardware store & have them duplicate one for a couple bucks & you are done. You need to check your owner's manual.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I believe all Mirage keys in North America would have some type of "electronic immobilizer". Your owner's manual should confirm that for your country. In North America we have three different key types (bolt print comes from my owner's manual) -

Type 1
    2 keys with an electronic immobilizer & a key number plate.
    Only the Canadian base level Mirages would have these keys, because all American Mirage trim levels come with remote entry.

Type 2
    2 keys with an electronic immobilizer, keyless entry system, & a key number plate.
    These keys would have a battery to operate the keyless entry system.

Type 3
    Two F.A.S.T.-keys, two emergency keys, & a key number plate.

I have the type 2 keys above, & I can duplicate a third key for about $15. You must have two working keys to do so, however. This is how I made a third key (for anyone reading this thread) -

1. A blank key costs $10.70 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace...75.c101224.m-1

2. My local ACE Hardware store charges $2.29 to cut a double-sided key.

No tools were necessary to code a third key for my 2017 Mirage. You follow the steps in your owner's manual (see below) -

1. Turn your ignition on with the first key (for about 5 seconds), & then turn off and remove.

2. After removing the 1st key, turn on the ignition with your 2nd key. In less than 10 seconds, the immobilizer indicator (multi-information display) will start to blink. Now turn off & remove your 2nd key.

3. You have 30 seconds to insert your new blank key. Turn on the ignition with the new blank key, & it will be automatically programmed to the car. It took less than 5 seconds to program itself, & the new third key starts the car without issue!

I follow the above steps with the new blank key that was cut by my local hardware store, & I now have an extra third key that will unlock my driver's door manually & will start my car. Should I lose a key in the future, I will still have two keys to make another replacement key again. Since my costs were under $15 (including shipping/tax), this is cheap key insurance.

Sadly, this doesn't help the recent posts (where no keys presently work). It would, however, prevent others finding themselves in the same situation some day. As it has been shared already, the alternative can be quite expensive.

Sidenote: Owner's manual does state this procedure will not work for Mirages in Canada. Not sure about other countries?

Thanks Mark
    What I understand is that in Australia by law all cars sold after 2000 must have an immobilizer system. See image attached which explains it very well. I'm not saying mine does not have one, what I'm trying to determine is if the transponder chip is integrated within the controller (red big chip) as others have said similar things (see posts 11 and 24).
    Name:  Immobilizer system.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  106.1 KB

I have a PDF of what I believe is the car's American manual, quite different to the Australian one (see relevant pages attached). For example the Australian manual does not have a procedure to program a third key, maybe it also works, but at least it is not mentioned. Also, it does not distinguish between three different types of key; according to your manual my keys would be "type 2" as well.
    Name:  Page 1-2.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  88.8 KB
    Name:  Page 1-3.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  77.9 KB
    Name:  Page 1-4.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  88.8 KB
    Name:  Page 1-5.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  90.1 KB

See attached photos of the disassembled controller, guy in post 11 said he could not see any battery inside, it is there for sure.
    Name:  Controller 01.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  83.0 KB
    Name:  Controller 02.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  82.6 KB
    Last edited by vatorres; 04-20-2021 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Photos were upwards

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What I understand is that in Australia by law all cars sold after 2000 must have an immobilizer system. See image attached which explains it very well. I'm not saying mine does not have one, what I'm trying to determine is if the transponder chip is integrated within the controller (red big chip) as others have said similar things (see posts 11 and 24).

See attached photos of the disassembled controller, guy in post 11 said he could not see any battery inside, it is there for sure.
    Just for clarification - the battery has nothing to do with the immobilizer system. The battery is needed for the remote entry system to work. You can have a dead or missing battery you can still unlock your car manually, turn the ignition with the key, & drive off with your car. As long as you immobilizer system recognizes the programmed chip in the key, the car will start & run.

Your key obviously looks different than our key. It looks like your chip is missing from the pic, but I can't tell for sure?

What's preventing you from putting the parts together & test it? If nothing happens, you'll know the chip is missing. I would put the key in the ignition using a vice grips or pliers to hold it. If the other parts are near the ignition, see what happens? If nothing happens, your chip has been lost. If the car starts, the chip is there somewhere! Good luck!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you still doubt this, glue you key back together & drive your car. It should work!

If a Mirage ignition has an electronic immobilizer, the key has some type of chip in it that has to be programmed to the car. Otherwise, we could go to the local hardware store & have a $2 key made for our cars. We use $2 keys to access some of our driver's education cars (manually unlock the door). The chipped key to drive the car is kept in the glovebox.

I appreciate that I could make an extra chipped key for Mirage for under $15.

Doing the same thing for a Ford Focus cost about $85. We have 3 driving instructors who share two cars, & it cost $85 to have a chipped key made for the third instructor using that car.

If you don't feel you have chip inside your Mirage key, you take key to the hardware store & have them duplicate one for a couple bucks & you are done. You need to check your owner's manual.

Yeah, I did that too. Last time I used a epoxy putty and was able to put all together really tight, it seemed perfect. But when I tried it, didn't work. There's also the chance that I have any electric problem preventing the engine from starting. I doubt is the battery because lights and radio work perfectly, and because I already tried connecting it to other car's battery with cables.
    I'll call the auto locksmith today and will let you know all how that went