Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent paying $$$ for needing to prematurely replace a key transponder

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vatorres View Post
    Yeah, I did that too. Last time I used a epoxy putty and was able to put all together really tight, it seemed perfect. But when I tried it, didn't work. There's also the chance that I have any electric problem preventing the engine from starting. I doubt is the battery because lights and radio work perfectly, and because I already tried connecting it to other car's battery with cables.
    I'll call the auto locksmith today and will let you know all how that went
    A key without a programmed chip isn't going to start the car. Apparently, the programmed chip is missing. Hope you get it all figured out, & it doesn't cost you that much.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-21-2021),vatorres (04-21-2021)

It looks like the transponder chip thing is glued to the circuit board on the inside of a 14-15 north american keyless entry key head.
    Will post pics one year.

In regards to the post about remote starts being a fad for people who think push button start is cool, it really isn't. Remote starts have been around since at least the early 90's. It used to be a luxury item. Why go outside in -30c to warm up your car when you can just do it while taking a pooh?
    I'd like to have remote start, I park on the street at work. Can't really let it warm up on the road unless I'm in it, bums would steal it. But with my luck I'd go out to a dead battery and a flooded engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Finally today got my car working again!
    An auto locksmith came to my house and probably took him 10 minutes to do all. I was charged AUD$ 235 for the first key and AUD$ 130 for the second one, so my mistake in total costed me AUD$ 375. The price is for two new keys with controller (he simply put the old ones in). So yeah, still don't know how but I definitely made the expensive mistake of losing the transponder chip of both keys.
    This seems to be common with Mitsubishi cars according to the locksmith, the key is poorly designed and the transponder is not fixed inside. If you have your both keys, glue the transponder as per post #1; if you have only one, better get a copy/clone to avoid paying expensive replacement keys as I did.
    See photos of one of the new keys I got:
    Name:  New key 01.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  99.9 KB
    Name:  New key 02.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  94.4 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    An auto locksmith came to my house and probably took him 10 minutes to do all. I was charged AUD$ 235 for the first key and AUD$ 130 for the second one, so my mistake in total costed me AUD$ 375. The price is for two new keys with controller (he simply put the old ones in). So yeah, still don't know how but I definitely made the expensive mistake of losing the transponder chip of both keys.
    This seems to be common with Mitsubishi cars according to the locksmith, the key is poorly designed and the transponder is not fixed inside. If you have your both keys, glue the transponder as per post #1; if you have only one, better get a copy/clone to avoid paying expensive replacement keys as I did.
    By using the original controllers, he didn't have to do anything to keep your remote entry system working. That surely simplified things. So he cut two new chipped keys and programmed them to your car in 10 minutes? Must be a simple process with the right tools!

Glad it worked out for you!

I'm thankful we can programmed our own extra blank keys ($10-15) ourselves in the States. It requires two working keys, however. Thus, it's something you want to do before you lose or damage an original factory key.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Good it works again!
    The sort of keys you got are the sort where the chip easily gets lost. If for example the key is in your pocket while carrying a big heavy box, it will break apart easily whithout being noticed and you get problems. As in post 1.
    The other sort of key without buttons as seen in post 7 does not break apart, and is good to have in the house just in case. Most locksmiths can make them easily, and they are very much cheaper than the push button sort. That can save you $$$!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Good it works again!
    The sort of keys you got are the sort where the chip easily gets lost. If for example the key is in your pocket while carrying a big heavy box, it will break apart easily whithout being noticed and you get problems. As in post 1.
    The other sort of key without buttons as seen in post 7 does not break apart, and is good to have in the house just in case. Most locksmiths can make them easily, and they are very much cheaper than the push button sort. That can save you $$$!
    In the States, you can buy blank key like the one in post #7 for about $10-12 on eBay. Local hardware store will cut it for $2.50. You program the new blank key yourself by following the instructions in your owner's manual & using two keys you already have. Like I said before, it takes two keys to program a new blank one. Thus, having 3 keys on hand is good if you happen to lose one somehow you can make a replacement on your own.

This is worth having done. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of a locksmith, dealership, or someone to help you program a key. I also realize not all Mirages in all areas of the world can do this. It's worth checking in your owner's manual if this option exists for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...it takes two keys to program a new blank one.
    ...having 3 keys on hand is good if you happen to lose one somehow you can make a replacement on your own.
    In other words...

Everyone with a keyed ignition should get a 3rd key programmed now for a few dollars before they lose one and are hosed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

foama (04-23-2021),Mark (04-23-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In the States, you can buy a blank key like the one in post #7 for about $10-12 on eBay...
    I have exactly same key as pictured in post 7 and it features a built-in transponder just as post 7 says.
    It is certainly not blank, but fully functional.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I have exactly same key as pictured in post 7 and it features a built-in transponder just as post 7 says.
    It is certainly not blank, but fully functional.
    When I use the term blank key, I mean it comes with a chip that's not programmed. You program the key, & it becomes functional. With our Mirages, it can be done by turning your car on & off with two functional keys and the third blank key will program itself without the need of any programming tool/equipment. It costs you nothing (& no tools are necessary) to program an extra $10-15 key!

I could make an extra Mirage key for every member of my family for under $15/functional key!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-23-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does anybody know if it's possible to turn off the immobilzer system or permanently bypass it? I tried to "Disable" it in ETACS, but that made the car unstartable. (Fortunately it remembered the previously programmed keys so when I re-enabled it the car would start again.) It seems these transponder keys are less a theft deterent and more a profit channel for dealers.