Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to prevent paying $$$ for needing to prematurely replace a key transponder

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Why not hotglue the chip to the steering column if you open up the key for any reason?

Then you can use a cheap $2 key to start the car as the transponder chip is now seen forever detected by the circuit. What am I missing here?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Germany and Australia have completely different keys than we do. Their chip is tiny, ours is part of the key fob(key head). So you probably could if you took apart a key and did what you suggested. If you only have one key then you no longer have keyless entry cause your fob is now in your car.

I don't think attempted Mirage thefts are very common but if it didn't have an immobilizer it'd quite possibly become the easiest "modern" car to steal.......in the world.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Why not hotglue the chip to the steering column if you open up the key for any reason?
    Has anybody actually tried this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't think attempted Mirage thefts are very common but if it didn't have an immobilizer it'd quite possibly become the easiest "modern" car to steal.......in the world.
    There comes a point when a car isn't worth stealing; and a little further down the road (no pun intended) the car isn't worth spending $300, $400, or $500 for a new key. I just think a car owner should have the option of disabling the immobilizer so that any MECHANICALLY compatible key will start the car. Or a screw driver, if they're that cheap.

Agree, I don't think there's a big market for Mirage's in Nigeria.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Germany and Australia have completely different keys than we do. Their chip is tiny, ours is part of the key fob(key head). So you probably could if you took apart a key and did what you suggested. If you only have one key then you no longer have keyless entry cause your fob is now in your car.

The remote power locks and transponder chip are two separate items.

Remote power locks require a battery to operate. The transponder chip is a stand alone item inside the unit.

It costs less than $15 to purchase a new key with transponder only, have ACE Hardware cut it, and program it to my Mirage using my two factory keys (no programming tool necessary). For whatever reason, this cannot be done with a Canadian Mirage. My two factory keys have the attached remote power lock buttons. The extra key I had made just has the transponder chip/no battery.

I could live without remote lock buttons. It's not that hard to push the power lock button inside the door. Most of our driving instructors have to do that, because the company is not going to pay to have multiple remote keys made for each vehicle. 5 different people (including my local mechanic) have a $3 cut key for the Impala I use most of the time. Their $3 key gets them in the car. If they want to drive the car, they have to use the chipped key kept in the glovebox.

I have zero need for a third key for my Mirage, but I made one just the same. If I should lose a factory key, I can make a $15 replacement key provided I still have two working keys. Programming a new key with remote power lock buttons would require an extra step & surely more cost.

Attachment 23361Attachment 23362Attachment 23363Attachment 23364Attachment 23365I guess a plain transponder key would work for stecoop. I'm looking for a replacement working keyless entry key. The transponder is not seperate if you have a keyless entry key. I'm not gonna be the first to break one off the circuit board for science lol.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-18-2022 at 09:32 PM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess a plain transponder key would work for stecoop. I'm looking for a replacement working keyless entry key. The transponder is not seperate if you have a keyless entry key. I'm not gonna be the first to break one off the circuit board for science lol.
    The problem I have is that my car came with only ONE factory key that will start the car. I bought a second key online ($95), had it cut (for free) and tried to have my local dealer program it to my car; unfortunately, it was either deffective or counterfeit and wouldn't work. The dealer quoted a new key, fully programmed, for $395 (OUCH!) So I'm not willing to risk the ONE working key I have for experiments. I would rather "fix" the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    The problem I have is that my car came with only ONE factory key that will start the car. I bought a second key online ($95), had it cut (for free) and tried to have my local dealer program it to my car; unfortunately, it was either deffective or counterfeit and wouldn't work. The dealer quoted a new key, fully programmed, for $395 (OUCH!) So I'm not willing to risk the ONE working key I have for experiments. I would rather "fix" the car.
    My local ACE Hardware claims they can make a key for most any car. They also have a machine that will do laser cut keys, too.

I purchased an $85 2016 Ford Focus key from ACE Hardware (in stock @ the store). That price included laser cutting the key to match the original key & programming the immobilizer chip to the car (which required hooking up their device to the car's OBD-II port). They just went out to the parking lot and programmed the new key to the car (5-minute process at most). The new extra key does not have the remote lock buttons, but a driving instructor can unlock the car with the key & drive with it.

Whereas, I can have a Mirage key made for about $15. The key costs about $8-9 from eBay, it's not a laser cut key, and the key will program itself to your car (provided you have two working keys to carry out the manual procedure). I had to sign a waiver for them to cut the key I brought in.

If you don't have two working keys to carry out this process, I would ask if they can do the process used for our Focus car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know this is old thread but just in case anyone in future is searching for CR1616, do know that you can also use CR1620 and that it is preferred because its same size (16 mm diameter) and has a slighly larger capacity so it will last longer before needing to be replaced.

And thanks for the tip about gluing the chip onto the plastic shell to make sure it doesnt fall out some day. I used E6000 because it was the closest glue I had to me but there are a ton of glues that will glue plastic such as Epoxy, super glue, gorilla glue and others. Actually forget gorilla glue because it expands and you may glue your key-shell shut FOR GOOD. Dont put the 2 halves of the key-shell back together until whatever glue has dried and cured.

I went to Target and the local dollar tree and neither of them had the CR1616 or CR1620 so I had to order it on the Internet and will wait the 3-4 days for it to arrive and in the meantime will use one of my (backup) dumb keys that doesnt have the buttons and that requires you to stick it into the hole and twist.

Feels like 1998 to use such a key. Ha!

CR2032 and CR2016 are TOO BIG, they will not fit (ref 2015 Mirage DE without the push-button start ignition)

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-28-2022),stecoop (12-28-2022)