Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GM may exit Korea = killing off the Spark? Rumour = Sonic dead too.

The Spark is saved!

.... well, saved long enough until they can replace it with a jacked-up crossover in a couple of years.

The South Korean gov't is ponying up cash to help keep GM around. Union concessions reportedly helped as well:

Reuters says the agreement will be finalized this week, but that some industry analysts don’t think it will spell an end to restructuring of GM’s South Korean operations.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN1IA07N

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-08-2020)

So odd that they'd opt to keep the Spark in the US rather than the Sonic. Profit margins, I guess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So odd that they'd opt to keep the Spark in the US rather than the Sonic. Profit margins, I guess.
    Did the Sonic have warranty problems? Maybe that has something to do with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Good riddance. I still h
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:19 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-10-2020),MetroMPG (07-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Did the Sonic have warranty problems? Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Well, at least regarding transmissions, the Sonic ran an old school slushbox. So I bet probably not as many transmission-related claims as the Spark's CVT.

Just thought of a big reason GM would discontinue the Sonic instead of the Spark:

The Trax.

Same platform & drivetrain, but many thousands of $$$$ more expensive.

If someone wants a little hatchback car from GM, now they have to buy a really little hatchback. Not something that competes with the Trax.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Well, at least regarding transmissions, the Sonic ran an old school slushbox. So I bet probably not as many transmission-related claims as the Spark's CVT.
    True but the sonic doesn't have a dipstick or a transmission filter. Or a transmission pan. To check the fluid level you gotta pull a plug out of the lower side of the case while running it. Not something I'd want to bother with without the use of a 4 post lift.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Good riddance. I still haven't got this one back together with the blown timing belt. Had to order tools to re align the camshaft gears as they have no keyway or splines to line the gears to the camshafts.
    I fcuking HATE this. Same is true with 4.0 SOHC Fords. Wouldn't be a huge problem if the timing chain tensioners weren't complete garbage.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not a surprise to see the Sonic gone. Honda did the same thing with the Fit. Want a Fit? Now you have to get a HR-V. Want a Sonic? You have to get the Trax. This allows Chevy to still offer an entry-level car via the Spark.

I will have to say that I had a fully loaded Spark as a rental car in May and it was quite nice. I don't know how good/bad the reliability is, but overall I was quite impressed.