Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a starter fail

but they don't ship here

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Given how many Mirages you've bought, would the dealer warranty you a new starter if you brought in the dead one?

I can understand not wanting to wait for them to do the work on the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Hard to say, they are really hit and miss as far as service goes. If it were me I'd ask for a new one.. If they say no I'd wait til we have a spare car sitting around and I'll put the dead starter in it and tow it down lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Based on part numbers found at the above link (see the applications tab) it appears our brush holder assembly is also used in various Nissan's equipped with a 3.5 liter. Perhaps I am reading to much into that but I would guess this means our starter is well over designed for our application.
    Last edited by gone.a; 02-25-2018 at 06:19 AM.

I just had another starter crap out @96000kms(59650miles for ghee if he's still around). Changed it in a customers parking lot but forgot to bring a floor jack. Damnit.. If anyone has to do it you'll need a 10mm to undo a battery cable,remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold the little skid plate onto the starter, 2- 12mm bolts hold the starter in place, 1 12mm nut for the power wire and the little wire just clips on. (and ratchet of course). Pretty easy job but not fun when the thing is hotter than Africa. Bring gloves, the starter will be greasy.

This should have been covered by warranty but too late now. I just installed one with under 10k kms from a 17 that hit a deer.
    Mirage videos:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-11-2018),MetroMPG (07-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Changed it in a customers parking lot but forgot to bring a floor jack. Damnit..
    Did you lift the car at all to get at the starter? Extra bonus points if not. And what did the failed one look like - what do you think caused the failure?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, curious to know more if you do a post-mortem on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Nope did in on the ground. Having eyeballs on my fingertips comes in handy. Should have brought a floor jack but the one at work is freaking heavy plus I forgot. It crapped out just before 4 I go home at 5.
    Didn't tear it apart yet but might look further into buying brushes for them. It stunk pretty bad. The cars are shut off at every stop, Even if waiting for a long train so they're gonna wear a lot faster than normal. I might be able to do a start and stop report with the gps program and find out how many times the starter has been used on these ones.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Nope did in on the ground. Having eyeballs on my fingertips comes in handy. Should have brought a floor jack but the one at work is freaking heavy plus I forgot. It crapped out just before 4 I go home at 5.
    AND you were courteous enough to tell us all about it. Nice rescue job there Superman. Your driver and us all fully appreciate it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)