Page 63 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: How much did you pay for your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    When I bought my Speck, there were only two trim levels. The Rockford Fosgate version was still being hashed out and wasn't yet available. Good thing I was able to add it myself.

I really appreciate having a keyless F.A.S.T. system. I don't have to take my key out of my pocket. That is, usually. I really ought to replace that weak battery in the transponder key soon.

I think the Mirage is a great value at all trim levels, especially loaded with options.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When I bought my Speck, there were only two trim levels. The Rockford Fosgate version was still being hashed out and wasn't yet available. Good thing I was able to add it myself.

I really appreciate having a keyless F.A.S.T. system. I don't have to take my key out of my pocket. That is, usually. I really ought to replace that weak battery in the transponder key soon.

I think the Mirage is a great value at all trim levels, especially loaded with options.
    I don't look at these cars the same way, but that's Ok! I am not saying someone is wrong, & I am right either. I don't put a lot of value on features. A cheap car should be cheap! That doesn't make it a bad value. It makes it an awesome value.

This is how I look at the Mirage (not saying I am right). A brand new 130 hp Honda Fit LX (manual) has a MSRP of $16,684. If I want to compare "apples to apples", the MSRP of the car should somewhat reflect the value. If a full priced Honda Fit is $16,684, the full MSRP price of any Mirage shouldn't be anywhere near that!

If you redesigned the Mirage to better compete with Honda Fit, I am buying a Honda Fit. Dealerships are way better in my area, and resale value is better, too. Having said that, I don't think a Honda Fit competes well against a highly discounted Mirage. The Mirage can be found cheaper, may be as reliable (better warranty), and is more economical. When I bought my Mirage new in 2017, I paid 55.7% of what a current Honda Fit lists for. I am not including what I saved in taxes, financing, or anything else. You don't read or hear these things when looking at car critic reviews.

If I just looked at MSRP, I wouldn't give the Mirage any consideration. NONE! The 5 trims levels don't even make sense to me. Offer something more substantial like a sunroof or something on a GT? Offering Rockford Fosgate system on base model, but not the upper trim levels, what sense does that make?

I believe the Mirage is an awesome value, but it took some work on my part to discover that. I don't think the average person does that. Car critics comparing it to cars worth more doesn't help its cause either. If the Mirage was seen as a $10,000-13,000 car (across all trim levels), more people would take note. Car critics would have to also treat the car more fairly.

I just think Mitsubishi could do better with this car. I have NEVER been so unimpressed by some dealerships while researching Mirages. Then again, I also found an impressive dealership 4-hours away. I never mean to bash the car itself. I would buy another tomorrow. I can't say that about every car I have ever owned.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-04-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    I wonder why Mitsubishi chose to price the car as they did, with basically constant $2k-$4k rebates
    One reason I've read for an unusually high MSRP plus constant factory cash rebates is that it lets buyers who don't have any money use the factory cash as a down payment, which makes it easier to get financing on the balance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

emdeplam (08-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One reason I've read for an unusually high MSRP plus constant factory cash rebates is that it lets buyers who don't have any money use the factory cash as a down payment, which makes it easier to get financing on the balance.
    Down payment?

Ally was offering an extra $500 rebate if you financed $10,000 in 2017. That got my $14,220 window sticker Mirage down to $9299. My Mirage was $10,153.73 OTD. I had to finance $10,000 to get that price! If I had paid cash, made a down payment, or financed elsewhere, I was going to pay more for the car. If my Mirage ES hadn't had the Bluetooth & center armrest added at the factory, it would have been less than $10,000 OTD. I also didn't qualify for a few rebates at the time. If I were a Mitsubishi owner or veteran, my Mirage would have been well under $10,000 OTD.

There may be some truth to what you are saying, but I didn't sense any of that?

My brother bought a new 2018 GMC Sierra this past spring. I think it was about a $48,000 pickup truck? He paid $30,000. He wanted to trade in his 2004 GMC Sierra and pay cash. He couldn't get that deal paying cash. He had to finance the vehicle to get that price. It saved him several thousand dollars financing it. He saved another $3000 for having a GM credit card that he never used. He cut the GM card up two years ago & threw it away. They gave him $3000 off for having one anyways. If he got questioned on it, he was told to just reapply. For $3000 off, he agreed to that. My brother got the best deal by financing & he will pay off his entire truck this summer.

Does a down payment make a difference? I don't sense that! Car dealerships have become financial institutions, & it is big money for them! Sale of the vehicle is just a small part of their profit. Financing & selling unnecessary adds on is where their big money comes from I believe.

My dad wanted to trade in his last vehicle & pay cash. Doing that would have also cost him thousands more. It wasn't even close! He had to finance with them to get the best deal. He paid off the entire loan with his first payment. My dad & brother wasted almost an entire day to get the deal they got at a dealership. I find that annoying!

I will not visit a dealership without knowing their OTD price first. It eliminates some of this. It's more work to deal on their turf. I don't have the patience for that any more!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-04-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I got a fine deal on my Mirage with some pretty impressive rebates. I got the features I wanted, and at a great price. It was such a good price I didn't mind paying a little extra to get the extras I wanted. Thankfully, financing wasn't a problem for me. So far it's been a good decision on reliable transportation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is my story of the price I got if this should be it's whole own thread it can be moved. I have been shopping for a while so I know that this car can get a decent discount off the MSRP. Based on this I have been looking at the lowest prices advertised in the US on cargurus. I have seen prices anywhere from 9000 (manual) and up. Based on these numbers I called Continental Mitsubishi in Chicago to ask if their prices were legit. They pretty much told me I don't qualify for many of their listed rebates so I could actually get the car for $11,000 before tax (cvt).

Several months later I have now moved to NJ and began looking at the prices again. I saw the lowest price advertised was Brooklyn Mitsubishi that is not too far away from me. On their website they advertise a brand new CVT 2019 for $10k. As always I called them up to make sure this price was legit. When I called I was told "yes this is the price just add sales tax". I asked again if this was MY price and if I qualify for everything and I was once again assured this was MY price.

The following Saturday I went down to the dealer to think about buying the car if they would deliver on their promise. When I got there the sales guy tried to sell me the GT for $16k. I said I was looking for the ES and I was thinking of the 10K they told me I could get and was advertised on their website. He laughed at this and said that might be hard. I should have known right there we were going to have problems.

After the manager came over he told me I did not qualify for the price they told me on the phone I could get. When I asked about the fact I verified this and it was on their website they told me "its in the fine print " and they told me they "sent the guy home" and he is "no longer with us". They showed me a window sticker completely different from the one on their website. I asked why the window sticker was off and they said it was because the car I was looking at had already sold and their website is just slow and that is why it is still there. (It's the exact one still up in my link). But regardless they said they would lower the price so the MSRP was the same.

After all this the lowest they would go is 12K OTD. Since this was still $2k off what they promised I said I would think about it and left. After going home I looked up this "$2000 customer loyalty" discount they run they apparently I didn't qualify for. It turns out you cannot even physically see this on their website because of how they uploaded the pictures. If you right click on the picture and open it in its own tab and ZOOOM into the bottom it says $2,000 loyalty rebate and I doubt this is even legal.

After going on mitsubishis website and looking at their offers I saw a $500 cash rebate. Since the price they already quoted me was not just for cash I figured there was no way they already applied this promo. Just to make sure I called up Mitsubishi (they are only open for calls weekdays). I asked them if the dealer normally applies this promo automatically and they said no. They also informed me I must ask the dealer for the details as they don't give them out. I also verified with them that there was no incentive for the dealer to NOT give me this deal since it was a manufacturer promo and shouldn't come out of their profit. They agreed with me but told me to get the dealer to list out the discounts to make sure it wasn't already applied.

Happy with this I thought it would be a pretty good deal to get this for $11,500 and even $12,000 if they already applied the deal is pretty good. So the next Saturday I went back to the dealer with the printed promo and before showing it to them I asked them to list out all the rebates I already had. They refused and said "it is just 4000 off there is no specifics". I asked like 5 more times before they said "2000 is from mitsubishi, 2000 is from us". So I kept asking them after that what the specific discounts were from mitsubishi and they would not tell me just saying it is a chunk. At this point I brought out the promo and asked to see the details to verify I was eligible for the $500 cash promo since I would be paying in cash.

The manager FLIPPED out at me and started yelling that I already got a good deal and I shouldn't try to get this since I already had a deal. I told him the add specifically said "get the best price AND get $500 off" and he didn't care. He refused to show me the details and then said fine I will break down your discount. After 15 minutes they come back and they start saying they applied discounts I shouldn't even be eligible for so I should just be happy. I asked why should I not be able to get all the discounts I am entitled to since this is what is advertised and the guy flipped out saying this deal would make him "lose money"(even though Mitsubishi told me a manufacturer coupon doesn't affect the dealer) and said "This is the best price you will ever get I am not going to debate this" and then he stormed away to his office.

After 15 minutes some other sales guy came over and asked what was going on. I told him I would like to see the details for the offer to verify if I am eligible. They refused to show me the details again. Then this guy also asked why I wasn't happy enough since they gave me rebates I am "not qualified for". I told him I didn't care what they are calling my rebates because that is not what the offer says and this is the price they wrote down in my quote. He then came back and they said they would give me another $500 if I financed it with them at some crazy high APY. At this point I realized I was not getting the $500 and would not be able to talk to anyone reasonable about this so I decided $12,000 was a fine price for a new vehicle and maybe I would just ask Mitsubishi about this after.

So this is how I got my 2019 ES CVT for 12,000 not including sales tax but including all the fees. Would have been nice for $11,500 but whatever. I called Mitsubishi on the next day they were open to ask what was up with this since I followed their add and the dealer refused. Mitsubishi pretty much told me tough cookies and they don't care if their dealers are lying. Oh well... I still feel I got a good deal. Let me know if I didn't

TLDR: Should have been able to get car for $9500, got it for $12000.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 08-27-2019 at 11:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    So this is how I got my 2019 ES CVT for 12,000 not including sales tax but including all the fees. Would have been nice for $11,500 but whatever. I called Mitsubishi on the next day they were open to ask what was up with this since I followed their add and the dealer refused. Mitsubishi pretty much told me tough cookies and they don't care if their dealers are lying. Oh well... I still feel I got a good deal. Let me know if I didn't

TLDR: Should have been able to get car for $9500, got it for $12000.
    A good deal is whatever makes you feel good in my mind. Since a CVT adds approximately $1200 to the MSRP of an ES, I don't think you got a bad deal. I haven't seen the base model manuals being advertised much under $11,000 this summer. Thus, I think you did ok.

When I recommend asking for OTD price from dealers, that price is everything. To me OTD price includes it all. That way there are no surprises.

I don't blame you for being a little miffed. I sort of took the other approach. I set in my mind what I was willing to pay for a Mirage. Even if that meant buying used, but it was a nice feeling to be able to buy a new one for that price.

I really like my Mirage, but I am not impressed with how Mitsubishi markets this little economy car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Several months later I have now moved to NJ and began looking at the prices again. I saw the lowest price advertised was Brooklyn Mitsubishi that is not too far away from me. On their website they advertise a brand new CVT 2019 for $10k. As always I called them up to make sure this price was legit. When I called I was told "yes this is the price just add sales tax". I asked again if this was MY price and if I qualify for everything and I was once again assured this was MY price.
    And it's still listed for sale! That'd have been a good deal if it were real. Out here dealers can be fined for bait and switch advertising. Good job on driving them crazy lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Another reason for high sticker...

Too many buyers with 72/84 month loans that want to trade in but have negative equity. High sticker gives room for the dealer to deal with negative equity and still have the bank willing to finance.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emdeplam For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-29-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I paid $5200 CAD ($3900 USD) just a month ago for my 2014 CVT ES with 115k kms (71k miles) on it. Auto A/C, bluetooth, cruise control, heated seats, alloy rims. It has some body damage/dents but most of it can be PDRed. The front brakes needed replacement. Fog lights were vandalized and need new ones. Did not check the rear brakes yet but I expect them to be replaced soon as well.