Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: How much did you pay for your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Thank you Mark,

I am right in the middle between 30 and 40 . Being aware of the add-ons being the most costly part of a new car, I stuck to the ES trim. The warranty was probably the only thing I didn't need, but having read this forum, I am surprised how many more things are standard on the 2019 compared to the 2014 Mirage, the latter which had no AC on the base. I only tried cruise control a couple times but I think it uses more fuel uphill since it tried to match the speed rather than letting go of the acceleration to keep the RPM low. Also, the feature I enjoy most is the Rear backup camera, which helps me spot things with the wide-angle lens. I still turn around to check what the camera doesn't see, like behind a parked adjacent car, but it is still a huge upgrade compared to a simple radio knob.

It seems like they are still adding features to the newer base models, like climate control. One thing I wish though, was that the Tire Pressure monitor had 4 tire indicators instead of one. I only had the indicator on a couple days this week, since the temperature dipped below 10 degrees F. Which is not typical, but it has been about a month since the tires were last checked, so that could be 34 PSI or 29 PSI. After driving 30 minutes, the light turned off yesterday. And this afternoon it didn't turn on when the starting temp outside was 30 degrees. So I might not need air just yet. Though this winter likely has 2-3 more sub 15 F days, so I might need to check my pressure soon.

I am very happy with my Mirage. I use Top Tier fuel 90% of the time, and try to drive it less than 60mph unless keeping up with traffic. I haven't wanted to treat a car like a baby as much as this one since I know it can age quickly if I don't. It needs a crib too ( a garage)- hoping I won't have to park it outside overnight in a year or so when I look for a house.
    The early 2014-15 Mirages all had auto climate control & A/C in the States. A/C has always been standard here. Manual climate controls appeared on the 2017-19 ES models, and the 2019 LE. Only Canada had a base model Mirage without A/C & things like hand crank back windows, but that has changed for them this year. I personally prefer the manual climate controls. I would buy the 2019 over the 2020 even if they were the same price, but I am a bit strange. Eggman will most likely confirm that!

The ES trim level has changed quite a bit. While the SE & GT have had zero changes. Yet, the price of all three trim levels go up every year. Go figure!

I honestly believe this is a marketing mistake for Mitsubishi. A base-level Mirage for $10,000-11,000 would pull more new customers in their showrooms vs. adding another feature like auto-climate control.

I bought a new Mirage because they were going OTD for under $10,000 in 2017 @ White Bear Mitsubishi. I wouldn't buy a new one at today's prices, but it's just a second beater vehicle for me.

Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2020 at 12:00 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

highwire (02-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    It seems like they are still adding features to the newer base models, like climate control. One thing I wish though, was that the Tire Pressure monitor had 4 tire indicators instead of one. I only had the indicator on a couple days this week, since the temperature dipped below 10 degrees F. Which is not typical, but it has been about a month since the tires were last checked, so that could be 34 PSI or 29 PSI. After driving 30 minutes, the light turned off yesterday. And this afternoon it didn't turn on when the starting temp outside was 30 degrees. So I might not need air just yet. Though this winter likely has 2-3 more sub 15 F days, so I might need to check my pressure soon.
    I would advise you to check and record your tire pressures if and when you see your dashboard TPMS warning light illuminate. Here's why - there's a TSB for faulty TPMS systems. If you notice that all your tire pressures are above the threshold (say, 33 psi & up - I don't remember what that threshold is) your TPMS should not give a warning. If it does, you may have a faulty system that will need repair, and being a safety feature it will (should) be covered under warranty. Refer to our TSBs for more info (sorry I don't have time to dig it up for you.)

If this develops further, consider posting your experience in another more appropriate thread so we may all keep tabs on the process and learn from it. TPMS is a often-discussed topic here.

Best wishes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

highwire (02-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As the tires warm up going down the road, their psi should rise sightly. Likewise, colder than normal temperatures would create a lower psi ratings than warmer days. I don't think it is uncommon for people to see the TPMS light come on during colder temperatures, especially if tires haven't been checked recently.

I couldn't find the psi level that turns on the TPMS light for the Mirage in my owner's manual. From what I have read, when a tire drops 25% below the recommend psi for the car is when most indicator light should come on. If that is the case, 35 psi recommended on my door jam sticker x .75 = 26.25 psi. Thus, I would guess around 26 psi or below sets it off.

My TPMS light has been on since mid-November. I blame that on the snow tires that I have up front, because they don't have sensors in them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The early 2014-15 Mirages all had auto climate control & A/C in the States. A/C has always been standard here. Manual climate controls appeared on the 2017-19 ES models, and the 2019 LE. Only Canada had a base model Mirage without A/C & things like hand crank back windows, but that has changed for them this year. I personally prefer the manual climate controls. I would buy the 2019 over the 2020 even if they were the same price, but I am a bit strange. Eggman will most likely confirm that!

The ES trim level has changed quite a bit. While the SE & GT have had zero changes. Yet, the price of all three trim levels go up every year. Go figure!

I honestly believe this is a marketing mistake for Mitsubishi. A base-level Mirage for $10,000-11,000 would pull more new customers in their showrooms vs. adding another feature like auto-climate control.

I bought a new Mirage because they were going OTD for under $10,000 in 2017 @ White Bear Mitsubishi. I wouldn't buy a new one at today's prices, but it's just a second beater vehicle for me.
    You're right, The Canadian Mitsubishi did not have AC- I happened to be watching a lot of Canadian Youtube videos covering the Mirage, and assumed the U.S. also did not have it early on.

I agree the auto-climate control appeals to a higher trim, and probably could do without to appeal to a lower sticker price. Or it could be included at the same price to be more competitive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As the tires warm up going down the road, their psi should rise sightly. Likewise, colder than normal temperatures would create a lower psi ratings than warmer days. I don't think it is uncommon for people to see the TPMS light come on during colder temperatures, especially if tires haven't been checked recently.

I couldn't find the psi level that turns on the TPMS light for the Mirage in my owner's manual. From what I have read, when a tire drops 25% below the recommend psi for the car is when most indicator light should come on. If that is the case, 35 psi recommended on my door jam sticker x .75 = 26.25 psi. Thus, I would guess around 26 psi or below sets it off.

My TPMS light has been on since mid-November. I blame that on the snow tires that I have up front, because they don't have sensors in them.
    Thanks. I don't think mine is defective (at least yet). I bought a cheap 12 volt compressor that plugs into the lighter and it stopped working on the 2nd day that I tried using it.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/WALFRONT-...Pump/145720149 I do not recommend. They are so cheaply made.

I bought it in case i wanted to fill it up with air and i wasn't near a station, but I might as well buy a better quality one. During the time I tried to add more air, I might have let a little more air out when it wasn't pumping. So only one might have a lower pressure. I wish in the process of measuring the air that no air is lost with a manual gauge. But If i can use a manual pump or something more reliable then I don't have to worry about draining the battery and/or the air.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're right, The Canadian Mitsubishi did not have AC- I happened to be watching a lot of Canadian Youtube videos covering the Mirage, and assumed the U.S. also did not have it early on.

I agree the auto-climate control appeals to a higher trim, and probably could do without to appeal to a lower sticker price. Or it could be included at the same price to be more competitive.
    Adding features to the base level Mirage each year and jacking up the price has made it a bit of an undesirable car to me. I would only buy a used one now. I feel the MSRP pricing is off, & that is why critics miss the value of this car.

A 2020 Mirage ES manual is now $15,135 after adding in destination charges.
    A 2020 Honda Fit LX manual is only $17,145 including destination charges.
    (6-speed manual with 130 hp engine)

Take that a step further - a CVT adds $1,300 to a Mirage. A CVT only adds $800 to the Honda.

Now a
    2020 Mirage ES CVT is $16,435 including destination charge
    2020 Honda LX CVT is $17,945 including destination charge

A base level Mirage ES CVT is only $1,510 less than a base level Honda LX CVT. I realize the Mirage will see much better discounts & rebates, but a base level Mirage should never be priced @ $15,135-16,435. I took these numbers off of both companies websites.

I am not saying a Mirage is a bad car, & the Honda Fit is a great car. The charm of the Mirage is that it is affordable, reliable, & economical. If those variables change much, the appeal of the car is somewhat lost by me.

I prefer the Mirage over the Honda Fit, but I wouldn't feel that way if the pricing isn't all that different. Sadly, Mitsubishi dealerships are all over the place in pricing. If I had to buy a Mirage locally, it would have never happened.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought it in case i wanted to fill it up with air and i wasn't near a station, but I might as well buy a better quality one. During the time I tried to add more air, I might have let a little more air out when it wasn't pumping. So only one might have a lower pressure. I wish in the process of measuring the air that no air is lost with a manual gauge. But If i can use a manual pump or something more reliable then I don't have to worry about draining the battery and/or the air.
    In my area, Kwik Trip is a very popular convenience store. They offer free air & have nice pumps that you can set. You set the pump to what pressure you want & then you pump until an alarm goes off. I have an old air compressor at home, but I use their pumps for my driving school cars. My 2015 Chevy Impala (student car) gives pressure readings for each tire, & the Kwik pump gauge seems pretty accurate. It's a nice feature, because you don't even need to mess with a tire gauge when pumping.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Adding features to the base level Mirage each year and jacking up the price has made it a bit of an undesirable car to me. I would only buy a used one now. I feel the MSRP pricing is off, & that is why critics miss the value of this car.

A 2020 Mirage ES manual is now $15,135 after adding in destination charges.
    A 2020 Honda Fit LX manual is only $17,145 including destination charges.
    (6-speed manual with 130 hp engine)

Take that a step further - a CVT adds $1,300 to a Mirage. A CVT only adds $800 to the Honda.

Now a
    2020 Mirage ES CVT is $16,435 including destination charge
    2020 Honda LX CVT is $17,945 including destination charge

A base level Mirage ES CVT is only $1,510 less than a base level Honda LX CVT. I realize the Mirage will see much better discounts & rebates, but a base level Mirage should never be priced @ $15,135-16,435. I took these numbers off of both companies websites.

I am not saying a Mirage is a bad car, & the Honda Fit is a great car. The charm of the Mirage is that it is affordable, reliable, & economical. If those variables change much, the appeal of the car is somewhat lost by me.

I prefer the Mirage over the Honda Fit, but I wouldn't feel that way if the pricing isn't all that different. Sadly, Mitsubishi dealerships are all over the place in pricing. If I had to buy a Mirage locally, it would have never happened.
    Yeah, this article confirms a lot of that too: https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue.../#3d9a8511a99e

"The Versa has long been Nissan’s value play. A decade ago in the wake of the great recession, Nissan launched a variant that was the last car in the US market available for under $10,000. That variant, while cheap, was not particularly desirable even in 2009. Hitting that price point meant you manual crank windows, no air conditioning and not even a basic AM/FM radio.

Times have changed. That level of minimalism just won’t fly in the 2020 automotive market. The new Versa that went on sale last summer is a bit more expensive even factoring in for inflation which would put that 10 grand Versa at a bit over $12,000 now. But with a starting MSRP of $14,730 ($15,655 with delivery) I would say this car is a vastly better car and a better value. Only the Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback is available at a lower price, and it is arguably much less car. The loaded SR model I drove came to $21,490 delivered."

The author of that article seems unfazed that from 2009, the price has more than doubled if he considers the Versa SR a "good deal."I wouldn't mind paying a little more for essential specs like AC in a climate with four seasons, but his salary probably increased substantially to view $21,490 as desirable/acceptable.

That said, one of my relatives went with a Mercedes SUV in the $44k range, whereas I recommended an Outlander PHEV for $37k. So I guess it all depends on what your affordability is and needs are. I read the Outlander has similar safety ratings (5 -stars?), though Mercedes are also top rated. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/M...20PHEV/SUV/AWD

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2018 GT with ~14K miles
    $12,998 USD from CarMax
    Buffalo, NY - November 2019

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  how much did I pay.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  44.8 KBName:  IMG_1610.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  96.9 KB I paid 12,000 brand new with 33mi on the odo. the picture you see is the night I test drove it. when I went back someone had backed into the front bumper drivers side. I negotiated them fixing everything (back to new) , a loner while the bumper was repaired, and the internet advertised (12,000)price, which was shown with all available discounts (I didn't qualify for a single one). I think I got a pretty good deal. I love the car!.... if you look at the picture you can see the back end of my 2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i limited 5spd stick I traded. also a great car but would only get about 22mpg

Last edited by flgrown; 03-03-2020 at 01:44 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flgrown For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-03-2020),MetroMPG (03-05-2020)