Thread: CVT oil change drill

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT oil change drill

Drained 2.3 quarts out, put 2.3 quarts back. Used Castrol J4 works in anything oil/fluid. Pain in the butt! That drain plug was in SO TIGHT had to get the half-inch breaker bar to pop it loose!

I had a little funnel and a neoprene tube that fit in the trans dipstick pipe. Will do something way different next time.

Karl

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-05-2024),Marklovski (03-05-2024)

It doesn't help that the head of the plug is so short. I use a 1/2 drive ratchet, 3/4" socket and short extension to remove the plug. Provided the rad support hasn't been smashed back a couple inches.
    What color is that Castrol one-size-fits-all fluid?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Red like ATF maybe a little paler/thinner more pink-ish.

I will report any variations in CVT performance. I figger if the pushie "belt" craps Castrol owes me a transmission.

HOW in the heck dou YOU put the fluid in that little pipe?!?!
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Red like ATF maybe a little paler/thinner more pink-ish.

I will report any variations in CVT performance. I figger if the pushie "belt" craps Castrol owes me a transmission.

HOW in the heck dou YOU put the fluid in that little pipe?!?!
    I tiny short funnel. It barely fits in the filler tube but it stays in place. I then just pour it in slowly trying not to miss the funnel.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I did! Tiny funnel, kinda big tube fits loosely in pipe and a wire slipped between tube wall and plastic tubing to vent air...pink oil over ever'thin!

Gotta be a better way....
    Karl

I just did one this morning, I'll try to record how I do it next time. Is the fluid burbing up the filler tube as you're filling it?

It could be worse, I think some Nissans that don't have filler tubes have to be filled from the drain plug using some dinguss that you thread into the drain hole. I've yet to see that in person but and only saw it on the internet though...

The Sonics have a fill cap but no dipstick. You gotta snake a long funnel down to the fill hole, fire the engine up(with transmission already warmed up), crawl under it(or use a hoist) and pull a plug from the side of the case. Then fill it up until it pours out the hole. That's my favorite.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just did one this morning, I'll try to record how I do it next time. Is the fluid burbing up the filler tube as you're filling it?

It could be worse, I think some Nissans that don't have filler tubes have to be filled from the drain plug using some dinguss that you thread into the drain hole. I've yet to see that in person but and only saw it on the internet though...

The Sonics have a fill cap but no dipstick. You gotta snake a long funnel down to the fill hole, fire the engine up(with transmission already warmed up), crawl under it(or use a hoist) and pull a plug from the side of the case. Then fill it up until it pours out the hole. That's my favorite.
    Nissans really piss me off, they have gotten rid of the dipstick completely. (all modern ones I have seen still have the fill tube from the top tho) I definitely prefer the dipstick style way of doing it instead of an overflow type. The Versa and older Sentras share the same cvt as the mirage yet have that stupid overflow thing you unscrew from the drain bolt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

I don't know what model cvt comes in the nv200(different than the Mirage...) but the fluid is always nice and clean appearing anytime I drain it. Never had one fail or act up other than one that lost all it's fluid and was driven til it burnt up inside. A few have well over 400k kms and no issues. That's all I got...
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Had a day trip last Friday after the CVT "fluid change" (dilution more correctly). Lotsa cruising at 70 mph, ups and downs to blend with traffic and towns. All performed as established normal/nominal. Light rain plus heavy wind and calm occasionally. 390 miles round trip.

The Castrol J4 nearly every auto/CVT transmission fluid would have burned up on this trip if incorrect. Twenty-two bucks and change at Walmart for a gallon (4 quarts).

Karl

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-11-2024)