Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Thread: How much did you pay for your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,199 Posts
    When I bought my Speck, there were only two trim levels. The Rockford Fosgate version was still being hashed out and wasn't yet available. Good thing I was able to add it myself.

I really appreciate having a keyless F.A.S.T. system. I don't have to take my key out of my pocket. That is, usually. I really ought to replace that weak battery in the transponder key soon.

I think the Mirage is a great value at all trim levels, especially loaded with options.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When I bought my Speck, there were only two trim levels. The Rockford Fosgate version was still being hashed out and wasn't yet available. Good thing I was able to add it myself.

I really appreciate having a keyless F.A.S.T. system. I don't have to take my key out of my pocket. That is, usually. I really ought to replace that weak battery in the transponder key soon.

I think the Mirage is a great value at all trim levels, especially loaded with options.
    I don't look at these cars the same way, but that's Ok! I am not saying someone is wrong, & I am right either. I don't put a lot of value on features. A cheap car should be cheap! That doesn't make it a bad value. It makes it an awesome value.

This is how I look at the Mirage (not saying I am right). A brand new 130 hp Honda Fit LX (manual) has a MSRP of $16,684. If I want to compare "apples to apples", the MSRP of the car should somewhat reflect the value. If a full priced Honda Fit is $16,684, the full MSRP price of any Mirage shouldn't be anywhere near that!

If you redesigned the Mirage to better compete with Honda Fit, I am buying a Honda Fit. Dealerships are way better in my area, and resale value is better, too. Having said that, I don't think a Honda Fit competes well against a highly discounted Mirage. The Mirage can be found cheaper, may be as reliable (better warranty), and is more economical. When I bought my Mirage new in 2017, I paid 55.7% of what a current Honda Fit lists for. I am not including what I saved in taxes, financing, or anything else. You don't read or hear these things when looking at car critic reviews.

If I just looked at MSRP, I wouldn't give the Mirage any consideration. NONE! The 5 trims levels don't even make sense to me. Offer something more substantial like a sunroof or something on a GT? Offering Rockford Fosgate system on base model, but not the upper trim levels, what sense does that make?

I believe the Mirage is an awesome value, but it took some work on my part to discover that. I don't think the average person does that. Car critics comparing it to cars worth more doesn't help its cause either. If the Mirage was seen as a $10,000-13,000 car (across all trim levels), more people would take note. Car critics would have to also treat the car more fairly.

I just think Mitsubishi could do better with this car. I have NEVER been so unimpressed by some dealerships while researching Mirages. Then again, I also found an impressive dealership 4-hours away. I never mean to bash the car itself. I would buy another tomorrow. I can't say that about every car I have ever owned.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-04-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    I wonder why Mitsubishi chose to price the car as they did, with basically constant $2k-$4k rebates
    One reason I've read for an unusually high MSRP plus constant factory cash rebates is that it lets buyers who don't have any money use the factory cash as a down payment, which makes it easier to get financing on the balance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One reason I've read for an unusually high MSRP plus constant factory cash rebates is that it lets buyers who don't have any money use the factory cash as a down payment, which makes it easier to get financing on the balance.
    Down payment?

Ally was offering an extra $500 rebate if you financed $10,000 in 2017. That got my $14,220 window sticker Mirage down to $9299. My Mirage was $10,153.73 OTD. I had to finance $10,000 to get that price! If I had paid cash, made a down payment, or financed elsewhere, I was going to pay more for the car. If my Mirage ES hadn't had the Bluetooth & center armrest added at the factory, it would have been less than $10,000 OTD. I also didn't qualify for a few rebates at the time. If I were a Mitsubishi owner or veteran, my Mirage would have been well under $10,000 OTD.

There may be some truth to what you are saying, but I didn't sense any of that?

My brother bought a new 2018 GMC Sierra this past spring. I think it was about a $48,000 pickup truck? He paid $30,000. He wanted to trade in his 2004 GMC Sierra and pay cash. He couldn't get that deal paying cash. He had to finance the vehicle to get that price. It saved him several thousand dollars financing it. He saved another $3000 for having a GM credit card that he never used. He cut the GM card up two years ago & threw it away. They gave him $3000 off for having one anyways. If he got questioned on it, he was told to just reapply. For $3000 off, he agreed to that. My brother got the best deal by financing & he will pay off his entire truck this summer.

Does a down payment make a difference? I don't sense that! Car dealerships have become financial institutions, & it is big money for them! Sale of the vehicle is just a small part of their profit. Financing & selling unnecessary adds on is where their big money comes from I believe.

My dad wanted to trade in his last vehicle & pay cash. Doing that would have also cost him thousands more. It wasn't even close! He had to finance with them to get the best deal. He paid off the entire loan with his first payment. My dad & brother wasted almost an entire day to get the deal they got at a dealership. I find that annoying!

I will not visit a dealership without knowing their OTD price first. It eliminates some of this. It's more work to deal on their turf. I don't have the patience for that any more!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-04-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,199 Posts
    I got a fine deal on my Mirage with some pretty impressive rebates. I got the features I wanted, and at a great price. It was such a good price I didn't mind paying a little extra to get the extras I wanted. Thankfully, financing wasn't a problem for me. So far it's been a good decision on reliable transportation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)