Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest! Win a fuel economy gauge / OBD-II dashboard computer by posting in the forum

Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    ( I never developed much of a 'feel' for L/100km...)
    Funny me neither. But being born after 1970 I've never used imperial Mpg either. I used to argue with people all the time about the fuel mileage they claim to get until I find out they are talking British gallons not US.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Funny me neither. But being born after 1970 I've never used imperial Mpg either. I used to argue with people all the time about the fuel mileage they claim to get until I find out they are talking British gallons not US.

I've always thought of the Liters per 100 km as a scam. We were used to thinking of higher mpg numbers as being better. The car companies assumed the public would assume a higher L/100 km would also be better, when just the opposite is true.

Lots of companies were scamming during the Metric conversion chaos..prices went up because of labelling changes. Ounces became Grams but the bottles stayed the same size and the cost rose.

Gasoline became Litres and they charged twenty percent more per Gallon equivalent. Same gas, more money. Every one of these thieves blamed metric for the increases.

I still feel any consumption number equations should have a ONE on one side of the ratio....that's why I have the Mitsubishi set to display km/one L. It makes sense.

Nobody anywhere has EVER used Gallons per hundred miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I've always used a ScanGauge, which is nicely optimized for fuel economy tasks.

I haven't tried any of the bluetooth + tablet/phone based apps. I know some people use the Torque app for fuel economy.

Where do you put your Scan Gauge? I tried on my steering column but it blocks the Fuel Gauge and if I put it on top of the cluster it looks hideous. Only place I thought would be ok would be right below the hvac controls.
    Suck squeeze bang blow!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I've always thought of the Liters per 100 km as a scam. We were used to thinking of higher mpg numbers as being better. The car companies assumed the public would assume a higher L/100 km would also be better, when just the opposite is true.

Lots of companies were scamming during the Metric conversion chaos..prices went up because of labelling changes. Ounces became Grams but the bottles stayed the same size and the cost rose.

Gasoline became Litres and they charged twenty percent more per Gallon equivalent. Same gas, more money. Every one of these thieves blamed metric for the increases.
    Yah, the oil industry in Canada screwed us over big time when they switched over to metric....still pisses me off thinking about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts

Yah, the oil industry in Canada screwed us over big time when they switched over to metric....still pisses me off thinking about it.
    Wow. Sounds like the problem isn't with the conversion of measurement, but with unscrupulous business.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting gadget, will have to look into it even if I don't win. Wonder if I can add a outside temperature meter too...
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Neat Gadget, I have a Android Head unit with torque app and a bluetooth obd2 reader that gives the similar info. It would be interesting to compare them.

Can it be set for British gallons on the instant readout of mpg?
    Since there's a user-settable fuel use offset, yes: Start with a ~20% offset and you're now looking at an Imperial gallon. Fine tune further from there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

strawboss (03-15-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

I still feel any consumption number equations should have a ONE on one side of the ratio....that's why I have the Mitsubishi set to display km/one L. It makes sense.

Nobody anywhere has EVER used Gallons per hundred miles
    Here in Europe we have the metric system since forever, 1800 or something like that (except the UK, poor fellows), so there is no recent switchover. In some countries (like France) fuel usage is expressed in L/100km, in others (like the Netherlands) it used to be km/L. It seems someone is pushing a conversion to L/100km, as since 10 years or something like that fuel economy in car ad's is given in L/100km.
    Which is a strange unit. It should be km/L or L/km. Where does the '100' come from? And why is it pushed? Who benefits?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome! hey, I have one entry already!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)