Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch Failure on 2015 DE 5-Spd (Update: damaged clutch disc)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Clutch Failure on 2015 DE 5-Spd (Update: damaged clutch disc)

Hi folks,

I have a 15' Mirage DE with the 5-speed transmission. I was driving it this morning to and from the airport with no issues. I got back to the airport parking lot and the car felt funny going into gear as I found a parking spot. Now the car won't go into gear unless the car is either off, or I force it while raising the engine RPM's. I was able to get the car to my apartment finally.

It makes a quiet grinding/rubbing noise when I push the clutch. Clutch pedal feels normal. Transmission doesn't make noise when in gear and drives fine. Only problem I have is getting into gear while stationary with the engine running, or when changing gears it's a little tough to get into gear.

Car has 66,000 miles on it and I don't leave my foot on the clutch pedal or drive it hard. I'm thinking it's a throwout bearing, but could it be the pressure plate? Mitsubishi wants a million dollars to diagnose it and i'm sure $1200 to replace the clutch out of warranty (not covered). Any help would be great.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VintageBandit For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you ever change the fluid? I went to change my manual fluid at 36k mi. and it was bone dry. I was pissed at Mitsu. but since it was DIY and the trans still works I have no claim till it fails. Bring it in it may not be the clutch, and might be covered.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roscoe1972 For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-26-2018),VintageBandit (02-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How do I check the fluid level? It'd be great if that were the issue.

Edit: Nvm, I found the DIY link above. Will check it out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Did you check the clutch cable? Some here have posted about theirs snapping. The clutches in these cars are so light you might not be able to tell just by pushing the pedal whether or not it is okay. I have 88k on my original clutch and it is fine.

I had the pressure plate in a 1997 Geo Metro fracture once and it gave similar symptoms. But it would be weird for the clutch itself to just 'go' like this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    Did you ever change the fluid?
    Ha! At first read I thought you meant clutch fluid HAHAhahaha.

Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Did you check the clutch cable? Some here have posted about theirs snapping.
    I agree - a close visual inspection is in order. Check if the cable is pulling out of it's ferrule (anchor?) at both ends. Also check clutch pedal free play while you're at it.

Check this post. Service manual: clutch adjuster
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-27-2018 at 12:32 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Could be the pilot bearing/bushing too. I've had to change the one in my truck. When it started to fail it would make a screeching or chirping sound with the clutch partially released. Once in a while it would grab and take off like I let go of the pedal. What happened was the needle bearing were dry and pilled up and would sometimes lock the input shaft of the transmission to the crankshaft making it feel like the clutch was toast.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: So I did a ton of reading here, decided to adjust the cable and see what that does.

New: Shifts slightly better after turning the clutch adjustment counter-clockwise(loosening). If I push the clutch enough to shift properly, no problem, no noise, shifts gears fine. If I push the pedal to the floor, at 1/2 travel it begins making a slight buzz/grind as "something" slows down and comes to a stop when I touch bottom, then I can't shift into gear smoothly anymore.

Throwout bearing?

Double Edit: cable is not broken
    Last edited by VintageBandit; 02-26-2018 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarity

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like your clutch is not adjusted properly in the sense that when you step on the clutch you are pulling too much cable. That could put excessive strain on a throwout bearing.

Can't tell from here though.

That's why I suggest following the service manual instructions. If after following that procedure you still have problems it might be time to take things apart to see what's going on inside.

Makes me wonder if there is an inspection port somewhere on the bellhousing that would allow a borescope camera to inspect the clutch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

VintageBandit (02-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could it be a bad syncro? I'll keep messing with the cable adjustment and see if I get anywhere.

The reason I ask about the syncro is when I go to shift the car while the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor, the transmission makes a grinding/clunking noise as it goes it. It reminds me of old Russian tanks the way they shifted because of ****ty/no sycro'd transmissions.

Could I be hearing the syncro slowing down as I push the clutch in and it not lining up? The gear doesn't pop out during driving.
    Last edited by VintageBandit; 02-26-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So when the clutch pedal is stepped on, it pulls a cable which disengages the clutch, or de-couples the engine from the transmission.

This is all considering your engine is running.

If stepping on the clutch tends to make a noise which changes with time, it indicates a problem with the transmission side of things, such as the clutch disc, transmission shaft, input bearing, or any assembly downstream short of engaging any gears (assuming you haven't yet engaged a gear and are still in neutral.)

Since the clutch pressure plate is bolted to the engine flywheel, I would not expect any sound made by that assembly to change with time as the clutch pedal is stepped on. This includes the throwout bearing.

Am I making sense? I'm just trying to think through what may be happening here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

VintageBandit (02-26-2018)