Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cvt failure at 223000kms / 138k miles (courier car, 2nd CVT failure in the fleet)

Here's what the backside of the input housing should look like Attachment 11440 There is a shim and a cheap looking thrust washer that just sits there loose between the shaft and the housing. Attachment 11441 Attachment 11442

And this is the crack I get to attempt to repair...Attachment 11443

Last edited by Fummins; 02-28-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Sorry for every single picture being upside down! I have to use selfie mode to take pics that are somewhat in focus.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The one going into this latest car was hit HARD in the lh front by a garbage truck.
    Sure hope the drivers are ok.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (03-06-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The good news is that there will probably be a healthy supply of Mirage CVTs in salvage yards in the future. Let's face it...if you look at a Mirage cross-eyed, it's almost totaled. This CVT unit is also used in multiple vehicles.

As long as you aren't relying on Mitsubishi for a replacement (around $4K the last time I looked)...or AAMCO...you'll probably be fine if/when you do need a replacement.
    And as we've seen today, sadly, a Mirage just kissed on the rear end is a candidate for the bone yard. Bet that CVT would work great for many thousands of kms.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

When was the last time you switched brands for the delivery vehicles? Does it happen all at once, or as cars are retired/killed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm still waiting for the cvt cooler to show up. We ordered it tuesday and wanted it rushed. We called today and apparently the dealership didn't place our order til wednesday and now they don't know where it is or when it'll show up cause Purolator lost it....

It's pretty frustrating buying parts from our nearest Mitsu dealer. I have a feeling we may either switch dealerships and hope to get better service across town. And if we have another early cvt failure maybe switch brands altogether. It's crazy how they can't stock parts for these cars, I realize they're not as common as an F150 or civic but this dealership doesn't stock anything for these cars. They even have a hard time stocking oil filters! End rant
    This is cause for concern for me. I love my Fiats but my main complaint with them is the lack of parts availability. God forbid you need anything quick as most parts take a week or more to get. It's the main reason I probably won't buy another. If this is an issue for Mitsubishi, I may need to stay away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Aluminum brazing rod assuming you can get the crack cleaned out. I was planning on using it for a transmission case mod I had planned on another car. Worked great for a oil pan repair on my sister's TDI. This was my first go at using it (besides the tiny patch you see on the left).
    Good thing that butane lighter just beyond your work area didn't cause any problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Both of these cars were mostly highway driven. I wonder if how long the city cars will last? I wouldn't let these failures stop you from buying one. We had way more problems with a spark we owned. If you plan to keep it over 125k miles/200k kms I'd be changing the cartridge filter and fluid more often than I am.
    Hey All,
    I found a 2015 ES in great condition they are asking $7800 for, and the lot will have alignment checked for me prior to purchase. It has the cvt, but also has 46000 miles on the odometer, and carfax nor any paperwork mentions transmission fluid change. Just interested in everyones thoughts; does this increase the risk with the cvt? Or fairly safe to buy and immediately change that fluid/filter? I know there are no guarantees, just curious what the wisdom of this forum thinks. Thanks in advance!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey Fummins,

Curiousity here...since the thrust washer seems to be the weak link, would more frequent fluid changes really change the outcome? Seems to me it's just a cheap part or bad supplier. The heat of frequent high speed travel could also be what's degrading the part faster, meaning a city driven Mirage may have better luck. I know the 4 speed automatic on my 2010 Accent (which was used on Mitsubishis) was known to have poor cooling capabilities and suffered on long highway drives. Around town it would shift fine all day, but drive it on the highway for an hour or more and when you got off the highway, it would sometimes slip like crazy and shift harshly.

This thrust washer experience also reminds me of VW's short-sighted move to remove a simple c-clip from their short ratio 5 speed manual in the early-mid 80s in order to save pennies per car. The end result was the transmission earned a reputation for throwing 5th gear off the shaft between 100-200k. It was guaranteed to happen to every tranny like it, regardless of fluid changes. Happened to my 84 Rabbit GTI while going 70mph. I pressed the gas to accelerate up a hill to pass someone and the revs just shot up as if I was in neutral. I was steady losing speed and only got grinding noises when I tried to shift back into 5th. Once I pulled over, calmed down and called dad to find out what to do (I was on way home from college), I discovered the car would still drive fine in 1st-4th gear. I give the car credit as I limped her home at 60mph in 4th for 3 hours.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It'd be nice if Mitsubishi had recommended cvt filter intervals. If they do I haven't seen them.
    I would expect that publishing a service interval that is more frequent than others becomes a deterrent to either sales or the service requirement.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Make sure the fluid isn't black! Brown is alright black bad. Run away.

Does 7800 not seem a little high?

Its down today to $7452; getting closer? That's in NADA and KBB ranges...

My 2 cents (.026 Canadian) on the cvt failures: have we heard anyone else that isn't a delivery vehicle talk of failures? It does sound like the thrust washer may be a weak link, but I wonder what role being on the road all day plays, other than accumulating mileage faster?

A commute gets her up to operating temp, then it sits for 8 hours, cooling down to ambient temp, and repeats on the way home. A city car MAY get up to operating temp, but won't stay there for sustained periods like your delivery cars. Either way, it still shouldn't fail, I'm just wondering if the sustained operation is the X factor, with an eye toward insufficient transmission oil cooling? Does the mirage have a sensor/light or throw a code if its exceeding operating temp range? Or maybe ( more likely), that part isn't built to withstand the operating temp specifications. Just trying to hypothesize...I used to be a Honda tech in a previous life and I enjoy the post mortem of figuring out exactly what failed and why. Thanks again for all your posts; hope we don't lose you if your company switches to a different brand of automobile!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-03-2019),Fummins (03-06-2018),Pryme (03-07-2018)